Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 1:40:44 PM EDT
Just installed a Volquartsen auto bolt release in my brand new ,unfired 10/22TD. As I'm testing it out, the bolt isn't slamming home on the first try every time. I'll pull back on the charging handle 2 or 3-5 times and then it'll go. A couple times it has gone first try. Is this normal? Perhaps it just needs to break in?

Thanks
Steve
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You could have saved $$$ and just modified the original part - 5 minutes with a needle file.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Is this normal? Perhaps it just needs to break in?

View Quote

No, not normal.  Put a few hundred rounds through it and things will smooth out though.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the part for burrs.  Oil it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You could have saved $$$ and just modified the original part - 5 minutes with a needle file.
View Quote
Buying racing parts is fun!

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
It is pretty common for Auto bolt release to get held up on the Magazine release, the VQ seams to have the most problems in my experience.

Take a file,sandpaper, dremel etc to the portion of the magazine release that contacts the bolt release, near where the pin goes through them both and you can make it function great.

It does not hurt to polish up the bolt release sides.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I put a similar per in from Kidd in when I first got my 10/22 (before I ever shot it).  It didn't have any of those problems.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the spring leg on the tab right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies. I just finished putting it back together - this time, correctly. There are tons of YouTube videos showing how to do this job, but this time I found some very detailed written instructions and that worked for me. It's functioning perfectly now.

Thanks again
Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top