Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2015 4:27:47 AM EDT
So I never grew up with guns in my family and pretty much went straight to ARs and AKs when I turned 18. Until 2 days ago, I hadn't even heard of a Ruger 10/22. People were amazed that I've never owned one... So I'm just wondering how fun or usable they actually are.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell yeah they're fun!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell yeah they're fun!
View Quote

This.

Get one, some tech sights, a few bx25's and have a blast
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people that did not grow up with guns think .22lr's are too small and under powered, only plinkers etc.  By contrast, look at people that grew up shooting guns and they will never be without a .22lr because they know how versatile and useful they are.

A 10-22 is a lot of fun, but unless you have an ammo supply than right now is not the best time to jump on a new one. Then again, $30-$50 for 500rds still cant be beat by any centerfire.

The 10-22 has also become the standard that other semi-auto .22's are compared against, but that does not make it the best fit/match for everyone. If you are just now looking at 22's than you should check a bunch of different kinds out.  Ruger American Rimfire, Marlin 60 & 795, S&W M&P15-22, Savage MKII, CZ's lineup etc.

Also you will need a .22lr pistol, Ruger MKIII/MKII and Browning Buckmark  seem to be the most reliable and accurate ones that are reasonable priced. Then there are a lot of "trainer" style pistols such as S&W M&P Compact, Ruger SR22 and others.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell yeah, I got a 10/22 at 16 years old, it now has ar-15 style irons for practice.  I bought a camo takedown a couple years ago and put a small scope on it.  That takedown is my favorite plinker and has taken countless squirrels and coons. The savage mark2 is a good bolt action , I have a left handed one with a nikon 4x;  its exceptionally accurate at 100 yards, if I can get a good rest, even squirrels aren't safe at that distance.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
10/22s are great fun. I enjoy them so much I have a blog about them (1022Companion.wordpress.com).

They aren't just for burning up lots of ammo fast. Many of us shoot target competition, hunt small game/varmints, or do other stuff that puts a premium on accuracy (like betting you can break an egg at 100 yards - gets some free lunches). A benchrest card is 25 shots; an Appleseed AQT is 40 shots, and the CMP Rimfire Sporter match is 60 shots.

The Takedown is pretty special-purpose to me, and I don't actually have one. If you have a need to carry a rifle in unusable condition in a short pack, possibly for hiking or boat locker storage, and don't mind the time it takes to put together on site, it's a great solution. I'm considering buying one to strap to the motorcycle. Otherwise, I think the fixed configuration can be made more accurate, is more durable under the stress of a sling, can be deployed without delay, and has a lot more stocks and aftermarket barrels available. And it's cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Heck yeah they're fun!  I ordered a tac-sol sbx barrel for mine.  Should be even more fun when I get my suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I like my 10/22 TD, and planning on building another 10/22 pretty soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, gonna seriously take a look at them this week at the store. Just joined a range that a really cool looking plinking setup... but it's 22LR only!

Just curious... is there a set scope that everyone recommends for it? Reason I'm concerned is making sure that it can still fit in the bag with the scope attached when broken down.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are using a scope I would get a regular 10/22, not a takedown. The reason is because the scope mounts to the receiver and the barrel disconnects from the reciever. Every time you take it down and put it back together your zero will be slightly off. If thats not a big deal to you then go for it.

I like the nikon prostaff rimfire 4x32mm for an all around/hunting scope for the 10/22. If youre only target shooting someone will probably recommend a higher power scope.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are using a scope I would get a regular 10/22, not a takedown. The reason is because the scope mounts to the receiver and the barrel disconnects from the reciever. Every time you take it down and put it back together your zero will be slightly off. If thats not a big deal to you then go for it.

I like the nikon prostaff rimfire 4x32mm for an all around/hunting scope for the 10/22. If youre only target shooting someone will probably recommend a higher power scope.
View Quote

supposedly it holds zero...but who knows

i love my beach stock 50th anniversary 10/22...ton of fun and 199$
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#12]
OP I was just like you, and when I got my TD I started having a ton of fun.

I love rapid fire plinking at 100 yards with it on gongs, and it is very accurate too even with bulk ammo I was getting under an inch at 25. That does not seem like far but I was not taking my time at all.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
It holds zero just fine out to 100 yards on gopher plates which is all the accuracy you need for a takedown rifle imo.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks guys, gonna seriously take a look at them this week at the store. Just joined a range that a really cool looking plinking setup... but it's 22LR only!

Just curious... is there a set scope that everyone recommends for it? Reason I'm concerned is making sure that it can still fit in the bag with the scope attached when broken down.
View Quote
Leupold VX1 rimfire 2-7x28.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine held zero.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks fellas!

And it may just be a red dot for the rifle unless it really can group that well at 50-100 yards. Is there a concensus on red dot or scope for the Ruger 10/22 yet?

I'll probably be picking one up for myself in the next month or so. Kinda waiting until after SHOT since there's so many damn guns I want.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thanks fellas!

And it may just be a red dot for the rifle unless it really can group that well at 50-100 yards. Is there a concensus on red dot or scope for the Ruger 10/22 yet?

I'll probably be picking one up for myself in the next month or so. Kinda waiting until after SHOT since there's so many damn guns I want.
View Quote
PA or Bushnell would be great for a red dot, and I have read about them doing very well at 50/100 yards scoped with good ammo.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So I never grew up with guns in my family and pretty much went straight to ARs and AKs when I turned 18. Until 2 days ago, I hadn't even heard of a Ruger 10/22. People were amazed that I've never owned one... So I'm just wondering how fun or usable they actually are.
View Quote

I have a 10/22 Takedown and yes, they are fun to shoot and by no means are they just a novelty gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely love mine. Put a Nikon p223 3x40 on mine and a Underfolder stock. Loved it stock and really love it now. Have fun with it. Don't forget the box 25 mags at least 2.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed on the scope. Plus an offset mount.

I'll post some pics of my TD setup later so you can see what to expect. regarding scope/bag clearance.

Also, plan on getting one of these and possibly one of these.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks fellas!

View Quote

Here is the deal on the 10/22 Takedown with a scope as it relates to the case. With the case open, there are three pockets. At the top of the picture are two and one large pocket at the bottom of the pic.

Both of the pockets shown at the top are sized to accommodate either the barrel portion of the TD or a scope. The one at the bottom is sized to hold the receiver/stock portion.

If you look closely at the assembled rifle, the scope is offset to the rear, using an offset mount. The reason is so I can be lazy and keep the scope mounted on the receiver/stock portion and the whole assembly will still fit in the pocket. Granted, it is a snug fit but it *does* fit. Also, the offset mount has QD levers so it would be quite easy and fast to detach the scope and put it in its own pocket but I'm a bit too lazy for that.

The scope is a Nikon P22. It's ok but I don't dream about it at night or anything like that. For plinking, this setup and a half dozen or so 25 rd. mags is hard to beat.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"...If you are using a scope I would get a regular 10/22, not a takedown. The reason is because the scope mounts to the receiver and the barrel disconnects from the reciever. Every time you take it down and put it back together your zero will be slightly off. If thats not a big deal to you then go for it..."
Imagined problem solved:
View Quote

What mount are you using on that 10/22?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Personally for the take down, I go one more take down step.  Install a weaver or mil 1913 base and use qd rings.  Take it off when you take the gun down.  I have a couple sets of Leupold QRW rings and have been more than satisfied with them.

Get a neoprene scope cover and put in on the scope to protect it and your rifle and slip it in the bag with the other gun parts.

Just another thought.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Personally for the take down, I go one more take down step.  Install a weaver or mil 1913 base and use qd rings.  Take it off when you take the gun down.  I have a couple sets of Leupold QRW rings and have been more than satisfied with them.

Get a neoprene scope cover and put in on the scope to protect it and your rifle and slip it in the bag with the other gun parts.

Just another thought.
View Quote

Good point. I should have mentioned the 1913 base. The TD is already drilled and tapped so it's just a matter of screwing one on (with blue Loctite, of course).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One I made from left over adapters that came from Leupold with the Delta Point.
Then after coating the barrel with release compound, JBWeld used to fill in the underside so the battery can be changed without loss of zero.
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/DeltaPointcollage_zps8029a693.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/DeltaPointcollage_zps8029a693.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very cool. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first Ruger 10/22 purchased was a Tactical Target model.  It was fun, easy to shoot, very accurate.  Then I wanted to get something a bit more unique and that's when I got the Take Down model.  Wow, what a great design.  The rifle could be taken apart in to pieces and put together with ease and it would still keep it's zero.  I set my Take Down with Tech-Sights and an Aimpoint H-1 RDS.  I shot about 1000 rounds through this rifle the first day I had it at the range.  I would definitely take this gun out every time to get some range time.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:49:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
PA or Bushnell would be great for a red dot, and I have read about them doing very well at 50/100 yards scoped with good ammo.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks fellas!

Hmm, I think I may be going this route. What base would you guys suggest? (Link would be swell!)

Now I also have to decide... Threaded or nonthreaded barrel. You guys suppress yours?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hmm, I think I may be going this route. What base would you guys suggest? (Link would be swell!)

Now I also have to decide... Threaded or nonthreaded barrel. You guys suppress yours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks fellas!

I don't have a threaded barrel but may thread it if suppressors ever get cheap enough. I am very hesitant about putting a $600 suppressor on a $300 gun. There are youtube videos of tricked out 10/22s but I don't think the Takedown needs much modification. For sure, the auto bolt release is a must and.any gun benefits from a nice trigger and an optic is nice, but you don't need anything beyond that on a TD to have a really nice pllnking rifle.

Regarding red dots, I got a nice deal on a Bushnell TRS-25 (with riser) recently after having used red dots by SIg, Primary Arms, and Holosun. The Bushnell *is* a good value, without a doubt, but check out the view through one:

See that thing (called an emitter, I think) at 5 o'clock? You don't see that in the nicer red dots like the others I have used. It's still a sold value (I got mine for $50) but that thing at 5 o'clock is annoying and I will probably sell mine.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't have a threaded barrel but may thread it if suppressors ever get cheap enough. I am very hesitant about putting a $600 suppressor on a $300 gun. There are youtube videos of tricked out 10/22s but I don't think the Takedown needs much modification. For sure, the auto bolt release is a must and.any gun benefits from a nice trigger and an optic is nice, but you don't need anything beyond that on a TD to have a really nice pllnking rifle.

Regarding red dots, I got a nice deal on a Bushnell TRS-25 (with riser) recently after having used red dots by SIg, Primary Arms, and Holosun. The Bushnell *is* a good value, without a doubt, but check out the view through one:

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/Bushnell_TRS-25_Red_Dot/Bushnell_TRS-25_Review_23.JPG

See that thing (called an emitter, I think) at 5 o'clock? You don't see that in the nicer red dots like the others I have used. It's still a sold value (I got mine for $50) but that thing at 5 o'clock is annoying and I will probably sell mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks fellas!

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/Bushnell_TRS-25_Red_Dot/Bushnell_TRS-25_Review_23.JPG

Nope Aimpoints have that too unless you ge the new T2 which does not have it.

It btw is the emitter, and without it there will be no red dot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks fellas!

For a scope

For a red dot

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top