Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2014 9:38:47 PM EDT
As the title implies I am considering a thumbhole stock for my 10/22 with a 18"  bull barrel.
Based  on my research I've narrowed it down to two companies.  

Boyd's has what I want for $99.00
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3z2681w1b110_rimfire-thumbhole-rugerandreg-1022andreg-920-barrel-channel-stock-forest-camo-laminate-finished

Or the revolution tundra stock for $165

http://www.usariflestocks.com/10-22-Stocks/Ruger-10-22-Stocks-Tundra.html?revpage=2#reviews

Links made hot.  AeroE

Is there a distinct advantage to the revolution stock compared to Boyd's stock? Is there another company that offers thumbhole stocks that I don't know about. I do not want to spend more than $165. Also, I'm not savvy on wood stocks, am I required to bed the action to the stock or is that hey it would be really nice to have but not necessary?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]
ElCid...re: bedding... when I built my 10/22 for the STC in the mid 90s, I asked a lot of questions to experienced STC shooters... about bedding  from Mr. Ken Tapp...his suggestion was to bed the barrel and not the action, due to the way the barrel and action were joined...additionally I chose the route of adding another mounting stud, and then bedded the barrel... I used a .920" Clark Fluted barrel, and a Fajen thumbhole... since the rifle was shot standing, removed a section of the comb to get a better cheek weld.. over the course of the 5 years we shot the STC it progressed into a very accurate rifle... less than 1" at 100yd for a 10 shot group off a good rest on windless conditions with high velocity Super X..

red, white, blue Fajen stock

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The Boyds works fine for me.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the PWS/Hawketech T-Rex thumbhole stocks.

As far as bedding it is not required for the action to fit and function in the stock. Bedding is more like a custom fit into a mass produced stock and usually makes for a more accurate platform. It makes so the action is tight into the stock with no slop or stress to hurt the accuracy or vibrations. So bedding is not required, and you may get some really good groups without it, but for the best accuracy bedding is usually required or at least a Aluminum tape or rubber quick bedding/tuning.

Stockys has many in your price range.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
if you want to play with barrel node tuning for specific bullet velocity...bore a .930" hole in a piece of 1 1/4" aluminum round stock, slit lengthwise, tap for a cap screw to pinch tighten... shoot a five shot group, move the tuner slightly, shoot another group etc... you can watch the group expand and tighten...forward mounting screw visible

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:05:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies. I've learned a lot and I appreciate the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top