Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2014 5:46:12 PM EDT
I have not had a 10/22 since I was a teen but found the takedown cool enough to buy one. I really do not like the factory sights at all.

I will not be adding an optic and will shoot mostly at 25 to 50 yards, sometimes 100 just because I can but the sights will not need to solve for 100 yard shooting. Small game hunting and shooting steel is the intended use.

It seems something receiver mounted for the rear sight would be nice but let me know what you recommend. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Techsights for longest sight plane
NoDak Spud uses AK front sight pin but has model with rail built in for a quick detach optic down the road.
Skinner
couple others at Brownells.
Techsights200 probably most refined sight picture with AR front sight pin, Skinner stuff looks classy and I'd go with that on a lever gun but probably not 10-22
Brownell's has version that will work with stock blade.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like my NODAK Spud front and rear sights.  The rear sight with integral pic rail fits perfectly on the stock receiver and the fit of the front sight is perfect on the bull barrel.  Yes, wish he used the M-16A2 rear and the M-16 front post instead of the SKS but whatever, the work is gorgeous and they look wicked cool.  And in the end, isn't that what's most important?

My vote
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the Williams ace in the hole sights.  You longer sight radius and a rail.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Nodak or tech sights. I love my tech sights but I want to give nodak a chance. Looks like good stuff.

I've shot empty mosin cases off the back stop at 100 yards with my tech sights. Freakin awesome!
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the Williams Ace in the Hole sight set.

I put these on my 10/22 TD (threaded barrel version) and could not be happier.

Williams Ace in the Hole sights

I did change the fiber optic to green - my eyes find that faster than red - and if you want that, the pipe size is .060.

Hope this helps,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for the Williams Ace in the Hole sight set.

I put these on my 10/22 TD (threaded barrel version) and could not be happier.

Williams Ace in the Hole sights

I did change the fiber optic to green - my eyes find that faster than red - and if you want that, the pipe size is .060.

Hope this helps,
Bob S.
View Quote

Glowing fiber optic sights badly obscure targets when the shooter is in the open shooting into the woods. I shoot a competition that proves this to be true. Do you hunt with those sights or just punch paper?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have an AR15 and want to keep the sights the sameish get the tech sights.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Glowing fiber optic sights badly obscure targets when the shooter is in the open shooting into the woods. I shoot a competition that proves this to be true. Do you hunt with those sights or just punch paper?
View Quote

The "glowing" fiber optic is no bigger than the brass bead on the factory front sight - it's just easier to see.

I do hunt small game with this, and shoot rimfire steel matches - the sight works very well for me.

If I was still hunting squirrels, a 4x-6x scope would probably be better. For general walking around, the peep sight (I went one size larger than comes standard), and fiber optic post  is a very good option. (for me)

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The "glowing" fiber optic is no bigger than the brass bead on the factory front sight - it's just easier to see.

I do hunt small game with this, and shoot rimfire steel matches - the sight works very well for me.

If I was still hunting squirrels, a 4x-6x scope would probably be better. For general walking around, the peep sight (I went one size larger than comes standard), and fiber optic post  is a very good option. (for me)

Take care,
Bob S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take care,
Bob S.

I run a woods walk silhouette shoot. We stand in the sun and shoot into the woods. The bloom or glare effect from the glow sights completely obscures about half of the brightly painted targets on our course. I can't imagine using them when I'm hungry.

It's not the size of the glowing plastic at all. It's the bloom it creates over the sight itself.

The thinner front post is much more preferable for hunting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 tech sights....all day long.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]

I second this. I have these on a pet 10-22 and they are really effective in putting your shot right where you want it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
You shoot 100 yards with your 10/22?!?!? yes i know you can. you scope whent to crap wouldent you take it off?? I would and i would justs use the irons on it. A 10/22 has iron sights built into the gun so why wouldyou need back up sights if there made in to the gun. And if you want to be able to use the factore iron sights with a scope on just get high scope rings.      If you really dont like what i said just get a No Dak spud 10/22 reciver, they make them with new sights
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You shoot 100 yards with your 10/22?!?!? yes i know you can. you scope whent to crap wouldent you take it off?? I would and i would justs use the irons on it. A 10/22 has iron sights built into the gun so why wouldyou need back up sights if there made in to the gun. And if you want to be able to use the factore iron sights with a scope on just get high scope rings.      If you really dont like what i said just get a No Dak spud 10/22 reciver, they make them with new sights
View Quote

I read your reply 4 times and I am confident it makes little to no sense.

1. It will not have a scope on it and I stated that in my post
2. I am fully aware of the rifle coming with sights, that is kind of the point
3. I made no mention of back up sights
4. I detest the ultra high scope mounts that allow a person to use irons under them, and I absolutely judge those that do similar to a neckbeard
5. You are right, I really do not like what you said because it makes no sense

Thanks for all the other replies. I have 3 or 4 to choose from now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a Tech Sight fan also.  Had the Fire sights but liked the same set up as my AR.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
On the cheaper side there is the Marbles Bullseye rear sights that I really like. I have found that they can be shot just as accurate as my rifles with Tech sights, but it does take a little more effort to be very precise.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:59:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Used Tech-Sights a while back, liked them. Especially with an A2 sight post.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like bead front sights all that much. Then again, the only experience I really have with those is on firearms where the factory irons are almost an afterthought (I put the 10/22 somewhat in this category as well).
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I configured a 10/22 LTR with the Tech Sights and was not impressed with the front sight fitment at all. Maybe it was just a rare flaw? I've thought about trying the NoDakSpud sights at some point.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I configured a 10/22 LTR with the Tech Sights and was not impressed with the front sight fitment at all. Maybe it was just a rare flaw? I've thought about trying the NoDakSpud sights at some point.
View Quote

Aluminum or steel front sight?  The old aluminum one was junk. The new one is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I put XS sights on my takedown. Ghost ring rear , white post in front. accurate and quick. Really happy with them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Aluminum or steel front sight?  The old aluminum one was junk. The new one is awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked at pictures of the old style and that's definitely what I had. Glad to hear they made a revision. Sounds like I need to find the rear sight and buy the new front.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a pair of Tech Sights and would highly recommend them.

I am a fan of Nodak Spud's products, but the lack of an AR style front sight post on their sights killed the deal for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I just put the tech sights on my latest 10/22.  The T100s that have the flip aperture.  Like the first 10/22 I put them on years ago, I drilled out the first aperture to make it more of a ghost sight for these tired old eyes.  Front sight went on very well and is very secure.  Even though it is advertised as an M16 front sight post, an M16 front sight post tool does not fit in there to work, so you should either buy their front sight tool or be ready to use something else.

It is the first thing I do with a new 10/22.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#25]
You have to use an A1 sight tool
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FYI:

Our front sight posts are a custom turned .050" diameter.

It's not a fat surplus post.

They give a very sharp and fine sight picture.

And our sights are made in the USA not Taiwan.
View Quote

Do you have an option for just the rear sight minus the rail for a standard 10/22 receiver?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I ordered the Tech Sights. I should be able to do some 25-100 yard shooting with them next weekend if I get them by Friday.

Thanks for all of the replies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Installed no problem and I love the sight picture. Just what I wanted.

I fired 3 rounds Saturday, adjusted the windage on the rear sight with the adjustment tool, then could not get the front sight to adjust with the tool. The detent would not push down with the tool.
I pushed it down with another tool and it is stuck in that position. It did not and will not pop back up to keep the front sight from spinning. Pretty disappointing.

I just sent them an email.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:48:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Installed no problem and I love the sight picture. Just what I wanted.

I fired 3 rounds Saturday, adjusted the windage on the rear sight with the adjustment tool, then could not get the front sight to adjust with the tool. The detent would not push down with the tool.
I pushed it down with another tool and it is stuck in that position. It did not and will not pop back up to keep the front sight from spinning. Pretty disappointing.

I just sent them an email.
View Quote

Shoot it. It may pop back up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I love XS sights on my takedown. Ghost ring, white post. They sell different heights for the front, and they will send you some test posts. I've had tech sights, I like the XS better.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Got the parts in the mail today, installed, and the front adjusts just fine now.

Excellent follow up service and shipping on their part. No hesitation and in hand within 3 days.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Just ordered tech sights.
I see I am starting to succumb to the the ARCOM curse of spending all my money.
Now all I need is some ambien and a divorce for the tri fecta.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just ordered tech sights.
I see I am starting to succumb to the the ARCOM curse of spending all my money.
Now all I need is some ambien and a divorce for the tri fecta.
View Quote

G19. Get with the program.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Just placed an order for the Tech Sights TSR200RL Sight Package.  Looking forward in setting this up on my new 10/22 Take Down that I ordered a couple nights ago.  Yeah!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have not had a 10/22 since I was a teen but found the takedown cool enough to buy one. I really do not like the factory sights at all.

I will not be adding an optic and will shoot mostly at 25 to 50 yards, sometimes 100 just because I can but the sights will not need to solve for 100 yard shooting. Small game hunting and shooting steel is the intended use.

It seems something receiver mounted for the rear sight would be nice but let me know what you recommend. Thanks!
View Quote

I'll add another recommendation for this set:

Williams WGRS 10/22

They are practical, low profile, look good on the rifle and are well suited to a rifle that will be used at ranges of 100 yards or less where elevation adjustment is not required.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I bought one of those M1 carbine stock sets and installed tech sights. Pretty nice setup. I forgot about NDS. I like their stuff too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I've tried all the aftermarket "irons"on my 10/22s and found the Tech-Sights and NDS products too large and goofy-looking on a sleek little 10/22 carbine. The sight set that I use is the Williams WGRS-RU22.

I shoot it with the target aperture removed which turns it into a Ghost Ring. This is by far the best sight set I've found for Speed Steel and Ruger Challenge matches. This sight is just a little higher than the original sights and makes finding your sight picture for that first steel target quick and easy, the front f/o is nice and bright. When the time comes for more precision shooting you can screw the target aperture back in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Another vote for the Williams Fire Sights. This is the Ace in the Hole version which mounts on its own rail. Slightly higher then oem, which in this case is a good thing. Can mount 'some' optics(red dots are easy to do so with) while the rr iron is in place. If not, the iron will slide off the rail easy enough. Will typically work as a 1/3 co-witness setup with the right red dots.

crappy pic. New taller front. The only challenge is removing the front oem sight. Mine wasn't too bad. Unlike some others I've heard of.

The much longer sight radius is a great improvement as well.

Looks like its touching, but its not. Barely tho lol. Scope is the awesome Leupold 2x7x28 rimfire specific. My go-to for squirrel hunting. Now mounted on another 10/22. This rifle is irons only now and I love it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Williams Fire Sights. This is the Ace in the Hole version which mounts on its own rail. Slightly higher then oem, which in this case is a good thing. Can mount 'some' optics(red dots are easy to do so with) while the rr iron is in place. If not, the iron will slide off the rail easy enough. Will typically work as a 1/3 co-witness setup with the right red dots.
<snip>
Looks like its touching, but its not. Barely tho lol. Scope is the awesome Leupold 2x7x28 rimfire specific. My go-to for squirrel hunting. Now mounted on another 10/22. This rifle is irons only now and I love it.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/45acpknifem1astuff214_zps58c7e592.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/45acpknifem1astuff214_zps58c7e592.jpg</a>
View Quote

Are those Leupold QD scope rings?  Looks like the low ring size.  I was thinking of going with the medium height rings using a Nikon P-22 rimfire scope so that I will be able to clear the Tech Sights I've got for my Ruger TD coming in shortly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top