Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2014 4:58:23 PM EDT
I'm looking hard at buying one. What do you guys think? I like what I've seen/read so far.
ETA: I just ordered it. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I own the UMEREX MP5A5 and I love it! It has functioned reliably from out of the box through more than a couple thousand rounds and I haven't even fully cleaned it yet (I just spray a little more Rem-Oil into the the action before each range trip). The trigger doesn't feel great but once I get into the cadence of fire, I can put Mini-Mags down range, accurately and VERY Quickly. So quickly that I have had people ask me if it was a real full auto! I only wish it were more SBR friendly. I would dearly love to put mine on a Form 1, cut the barrel and run it with my Sparrow suppressor.

When they first came out, I hemmed and hawed over spending $400-$500 for a mostly plastic and ZAMAK rimfire plinker but I am only sorry I waited as long as I did to get one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Own it, love it, highly recommend it.

The thing is just fun. It was a gun show impulse buy in the truest sense.

Licensed by HK, manufactured by Walther, imported by Umerex....the best of the HK .22 MP5 clones.

Every single person who's shot mine absolutely loves it. Anyone can shoot that gun well, and who the hell doesn't want a .22 MP5?

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and love it, luckily I have a nice stash of .22 to go with it!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Well you both cemented my decision. Gonna go buy one. Booyah! Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one and love it, luckily I have a nice stash of .22 to go with it!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I removed the stock and got a full buttstock. The collapsible stock was just too flimsy/short to suit me. It's a lot more accurate than I thought it would be.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I removed the stock and got a full buttstock. The collapsible stock was just too flimsy/short to suit me. It's a lot more accurate than I thought it would be.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/264s1aw.jpg
View Quote

My collapsable stock is pretty decent, no complaints with it.

And they are surprisingly accurate. I can easily punch out a golf ball sized hole, from 50', pulling the trigger pretty much as fast as I can.

Fun factor: 10/10

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I SBR'd my Umarex MP5, fun, fun, fun.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I love mine.  I too got the fixed stock and it really improved it over the collapsing stock although to be fair, the real MP-5 stock is also fairly short and has some wobble in it as well.  If you are going to clean it with a spray solvent and bore snake, it's pretty easy.  However, if you are going to take it apart as in removing the bolt for a thorough cleaning, it's a bit more complex so it's not something I do very often.  Great gun though and I far prefer it over my jamomatic Sig 522!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the fixed stock original H&K or is it available from Umarex as an accessory? I haven't seen the stock for sale. I read that H&K stuff will fit the gun. True?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is the fixed stock original H&K or is it available from Umarex as an accessory? I haven't seen the stock for sale. I read that H&K stuff will fit the gun. True?
View Quote

The fixed stock is a Umarex accessory and not the same as a regular MP-5 stock. I got mine through a third party vendor (Greentop here in VA) as they always showed sold out on the Umarex site.....Like they do now.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/A2-Fixed-Stock-For-HK-MP5-22-p2206.htm#.UuJMubAo5jo

It's worth the price as it's a very sturdy stock and hands and feet better than the GSG stock.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the stock is for sale on the website, I love the retractable so I never bought one.

Here's what I will about mine (HK MP5 SD .22)....it is so much better than I even dreamed it would be and that's not just idle praise.  The gun is very well built and so much better than the GSG version all you have to do is pick each one up, look at it...question answered.  It's tons of fun to shoot, every time I take mine to the range people always approach me to ask about it and it's accurate.  Ok, it's extremely accurate, without a doubt the most accurate .22 I've ever shot with the exception of my bolt guns and it's probably every bit as accurate as they are.  I mounted a Vortex Strikefire red/green dot scope on mine and it is pure awesomesauce!  With the doubler on the Strikefire it would make a deadly squirrel hunting gun, you could easily make headshots all day long.

The last time I brought her to the range she gathered a lot of attention, mostly people who thought it was a real 9mm MP5 lol, they were pretty amazed how much it looks and feels like the real deal.  There was one guy who turns out was a collector of .22LR versions of battle guns and had been wanting an MP5 .22 for his collection and saw mine.  He at first thought it was an actual 9mm MP5 like the others did but he was even more excited when he found out it was a .22.  

He mentioned he had looked at the GSG version but said it felt "toy like" when handled it and was worried he would break it just by holding it.  I could tell he really wanted to get a closer look so I handed it to him and he immediately got a big ol' sh!t eating grin on his face.  He couldn't believe it was a .22 because it was built like the real ones.  I loaded a magazine and told him to try it out, I thought he was going to cry from happiness lol.  He went to his lane and fired three shots and returned the target to find all three in the black.  By this time he was really smiling and fired several shots slowly and deliberately before finishing the mag off shooting as fast as be could (which just looks so cool with this gun).  He pressed the control switch and brought the target back...he had put all but two shots right in the middle black.  Now this is only a 30 meter lane but that was very impressive shooting a gun he had no experience with unsupported and with only a 2X red dot optic.  Needless to say he was floored and so enamored with the gun that he passed on shooting a second mag because he wanted to leave immediately and go search the local gun shops for his own.

I don't know if he found one that night, they were very hard to find then and even today I've yet to find another in any of the shops I frequent.  I was lucky to get mine since it was the only one they had at the time.  I never buy two of the same gun, with the exception of single action revolvers, but if I ever come across another SD I'm definitely buying it! I wanna have one in both hands and go all Rambo, or Rambette, on bunch of water filled bottles lol.

It has definitely been one of the gun purchases I've made that really gave me perma-grin, I truly love the gun and definitely one that will never leave my collection.  If anyone is on the fence about buying one of these Walther/HK MP5 .22's run, don't walk, and get it before someone else does.  Stay away from those GSG copies or you will hate yourself soon afterwards.

Here's my baby...HK MP5 SD .22 - scary accurate, super reliable, high quality build and more fun than flogging frogs! (not a great picture - was taken more for insurance use.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#13]
You all are going to cause me to use my credit card instead of waiting for payday! I WUNT! NOW!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#14]
ive owned the SD version for about a year now. i had been debating getting/making a clone MP5, but i couldnt justify the cost, plus i still wanted an AR-15. so this .22lr was the perfect solution--size and weight are spot on to the real thing, plus its fun and cheap to shoot, and always a conversation piece. pretty accurate too-i can get nice, small groups at least out to 50yards, but havent tried any farther.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I will have one of these

One day
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#16]
A guy put a H&K MP-5 .22 on consignment for $330.00 a couple months ago at my LGS...It did not last long.

I found this Umarex/Walther 416 pistol this past August for $200.00.

It's one of those "what the fuck am I going to do with this" purchases. Good shooter though and it gave me something to do with the 30 round mag my "Colt" clone came with. I'm using the 20 rounder that came with the 416 on my "Colt".  

I own four different Umarex/Walther clones and all shoot really well with no function issues at all.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Get the MP5a5 model.

That way you can SBR it and put a real suppressor on it.

The SD model is nice. If you want it, go for it.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Of all the comments above, this sums it up,

The gun is very well built and so much better than the GSG version all you have to do is pick each one up, look at it...question answered.

It is a great value, like buying the real thing in a 22LR and yes I have handled the real ones many times.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
One thing to consider, at least with my particular gun...

The front sight is not adjustable, and the rear sight is adjustable for windage. The rear sight does not adjust for elevation like the genuine HK sight. There are 4 different sized diopters, each of which is set at a different pre-set level of elevation. If one of those elevation settings does not give the zero that you want, tough.

The gun does come with a shorter front sight post that can be swapped out, but even still, you basically have 8 pre-set combinations of elevation for zeroing purposes. You may get lucky and the gun is dead on with one of the 8, you may be like me and get it close, but still 2 inches low at 20yds. Groups tight, though.

Sure you could wring more precision out of the gun with a red dot, but for that you'd need a Umarex/MFI rail ($100 - the cheap china ones DON'T work) and a dot sight.

I loved the gun, it was very reliable, but it just wasnt as accurate as it could have been. I ditched it for the 416 model instead, much easier to add optics to.

I would recommend the MP5 as the best (and only) alternative to the GSG crap that 'kind of' looks like an HK.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The gun is very well built and so much better than the GSG version all you have to do is pick each one up, look at it...question answered.

It is a great value, like buying the real thing in a 22LR and yes I have handled the real ones many times.
View Quote

You are buying the real thing.

The guns are produed by Walther, licensed by HK, and imported by Umarex.

These guns are the real thing, they are priced decently, and they are high quality.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sure you could wring more precision out of the gun with a red dot, but for that you'd need a Umarex/MFI rail ($100 - the cheap china ones DON'T work) and a dot sight.
View Quote

My $12.00 Chi-Com rail has worked just fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I just had bad luck... I went through 3 and two snapped off during installation, one snapped off on the first range outing
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

These guns are the real thing, they are priced decently, and they are high quality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree, I meant the "real thing" as compared to the 9mm guns and before the 22 versions came on the market. Still kicking myself for not buying a NIB HK94 back in the early 80's at the fun show. As a former LEO I have shot the select fire models.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#24]
So is there a consensus on which model is better, the A5 or the SD?  This is relevant to my .22 obsessions...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So is there a consensus on which model is better, the A5 or the SD?  This is relevant to my .22 obsessions...
View Quote

The SD is more vintage/iconic 'cool' , the A5 is more versatile. You can add a tri rail or flashlight handguard and subsequent accessories, whereas the SD can only be given optics.

I opted for the A5. Kinda wish I had gotten the SD. Both weigh about the same. A5 is usually 25-50 bucks cheaper.

Purely a personal choice, really
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#26]
There was no way I was paying $100+ for that plastic Umerex rail so I searched reviews and bought a metal version that was made for an AirSoft gun.  The metal version had nothing but good reviews on Amazon (I don't remember the actual brand name) and it has served me perfectly for a mere $20+.  Obviously with any of the rails you have to be careful about tightening the screws or you will break it but if you are careful it's actually quite strong.  Mine has held my Vortex Strikefire perfectly in place since I've owned it and that is a optic designed for the AR.

The sights on the MP5 .22 are practically useless in my opinion and with them it would be difficult to get any decent accuracy out of but that's for the sake of the sights, not the gun.  The HK MP5 is one of the most accurate, if not the most accurate, of the .22 "battle weapon" clones so there really is no other option than using a quality optic to allow the gun to perform at it's ability.  Personally I cringe when I see cheap optics on these guns, they are far too good of shooters for that.  If you own one of these, do yourself a favor and top it with a quality optic suited for such a gun, like a quality red dot or 1-4x rimfire scope, you will thank yourself!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I SBR'd my Umarex MP5, fun, fun, fun.
<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/slipjett/media/IMG_5208.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_5208.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/slipjett/media/IMG_5210.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_5210.jpg</a>

View Quote

Very nice!  Did you trim the original barrel or replace it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Very nice!  Did you trim the original barrel or replace it?
View Quote

Replaced it with a pistol barrel that I got directly from Umarex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top