Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2013 2:28:59 PM EDT
This is just some cheap 1" gray nylon web material and some cheap plastic buckles. I looped all the ends so they would be inside the sling and as short as possible. I inadvertently created a quick adjust sling. The extra buckle unsures that the end tab can't slip into or through the adjusting buckle.

I can loosen the sling with one hand. Shortening requires two hands, but it only takes a second. It slides beautifully. With this super light rifle the sling is plenty comfortable. It's a super light sling for a very light rifle.

The front swivel.

The adjusting buckle.

The swivel studs were a breeze. I did them just like the stock was wood. They are going to hold just fine. Stay away from the cheap Blackhawk stud swivel sets at Walmart. Had to drill one to get the pin through....
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Turns out you can quick adjust both ways if you grab the buckle right. This sling turned out spectacular. I need to find black web to do one for my 1970 10/22.

Is there any reason this sling won't work for an appleseed shoot?
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I have some black and possibly OD webbing around here.  Let me see if I can find it and I'll send you some.  I'll IM you if I find anything.
CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I have some black and possibly OD webbing around here.  Let me see if I can find it and I'll send you some.  I'll IM you if I find anything.

CHRIS
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It'll be fine for Appleseed.  Looks like you can't do a loop sling with it, but it's still perfectly serviceable.  The question is that if its so easy to adjust, will it keep tension once you are in position?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It'll be fine for Appleseed.  Looks like you can't do a loop sling with it, but it's still perfectly serviceable.  The question is that if its so easy to adjust, will it keep tension once you are in position?
View Quote

Going quick sling works (especially in the timed rapid fire stages) and I always applaude DIY projects, but going into your first Appleseed I would recomend a heavier GI type sling that you can run/learn in Appleseed's prefered (loop) method.
 Just my $0.02 I would bring both slings and try both.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It holds tight when I wrap up my left arm. I can't pull down hard enough to move it. Pretty solid.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Going quick sling works (especially in the timed rapid fire stages) and I always applaude DIY projects, but going into your first Appleseed I would recomend a heavier GI type sling that you can run/learn in Appleseed's prefered (loop) method.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made this sling 54". Is that the length of the standard usgi sling?

Can you give me an idea of how the loop method works?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
found this on appleseed

I will definitely buy a couple USGI slings. One for my 1970 10/22 and one for my take down. I think I will use the gray one most of the time for regular carrying as it is very light weight.

I badly want to go to an appleseed someday. Just not possible right now. I learned a lot just reading that thread above. I think I can duplicate most of it right away. I already shoot pretty good off hand. I don't want to become sling dependent or it will hurt me at my silhouette shoots, but I do want to be a better shooter over all.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
found this on appleseed

I will definitely buy a couple USGI slings. One for my 1970 10/22 and one for my take down. I think I will use the gray one most of the time for regular carrying as it is very light weight.

I badly want to go to an appleseed someday. Just not possible right now. I learned a lot just reading that thread above. I think I can duplicate most of it right away. I already shoot pretty good off hand. I don't want to become sling dependent or it will hurt me at my silhouette shoots, but I do want to be a better shooter over all.

View Quote

Nice link. I used to shoot CMP matches and the the use of a military sling (on all but the off hand stage where there use was not allowed) was greatly encouraged. So when I whet to Appleseed is was like old home week. Your sihouette shoots aside it is a effective way to improve your shots at distance and who could not bennifit from more of that?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to mount a sling for Appleseed. Is it difficult because the 10/22 TD is synthetic stock? Or can I still use Uncle Mike's sling swivels meant for the wood stock?

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I need to mount a sling for Appleseed. Is it difficult because the 10/22 TD is synthetic stock? Or can I still use Uncle Mike's sling swivels meant for the wood stock?

View Quote

I have seen others post here that is what they have used successfully.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just screwed them in like normal.  5/32" pilot hole. Just don't try to get the super tight.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks good.

Here's how I did mine:

PLUS

The sling is on sale for $13 right now at Spec-Ops, and the barrel band is about $27 @ Midway.  The quick release buckle allows for fast takedown and reassembly.  Rails on the barrel band are kinda cheesy but I might use one for a Streamlight at some point down the road.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered a 1" and a 1 1/4" sling from Tech Sights for my two 10/22's. $31.50 with shipping.

The wider sling will live on my 1970 10/22. It will look much more original to the rifle with the nice walnut stock. I finally installed the studs and I have wanted a really nice sling for it for a long time.

The 1" will be for the take down, but I really like how this little sling turned out. I might keep using the light weight one I have now. An extra sling won't go to waste.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:00:29 AM EDT
[#15]
This is my Liberty Training Rifle. It's a 1970 10/22 with Tech Sights and a USGI sling I bought from the same company. This is my very favorite rifle! Her name isn't Vera, but I should name her. She will be with me until I die.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top