Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2013 5:32:55 AM EDT
Damn you PSA daily deals....

I fell victim to the PSA daily deals again and did an impulse buy on a SIG 522 and 10 pac of 25rnd Mags for it.

I did a quick search and watched a few video reviews, as well as checked for prices and then BOUGHT one all within about an hours time last night while I was at my sons baseball practice.

So lets hear it, who loves them?  Also who has a SIG Micro red dot site on one and how do you like it?

Thanks

PICS to follow
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
We have a ball with ours.  Kids love it.  Red dot is nothing to brag about but hey, it's a 22.  

I have never had any particular trouble with the Fed bulk pack, but it didn't like the Remington cheap stuff.  

Doc
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The one I had ran great.  I was always freaked out over the odd split washer fastener thing that holds the recoil guide rod/spring in place.  Early models had issues with these working loose and had to be replaced.  I purchased a package or two from ACE to put on it and it ran fine.  It ran fine with the OEM one also.  It is very well built and accurate.  The BDM mags and the CMMG mags work great in them also.  I eventually sold it for some reason and now have a M&P15-22.  I have to say that the Sig may actually be a more solid rifle due to the upper being all metal where the Smith is all plastic except of course for the critical parts.

I am actually giving strong consideration to getting another Sig or an HK Mp5-22.  IMHO the Sig is a better purpose built .22 than the HK since it is all mettal less the lower with a reall barrel while the HK clone is basically a cool looking airsoft rifle converted to shoot .22 with a barrel sleeved inside an larger barrel shroud.  The pot metal internals of the HK have me freaked out but it does look cool.

For the price $499 retail at Big 5 I think i might jjust grab another sig.

Run it wet, mine was less sluggish after prolonged firing sessons if i really lubed it good since .22 is filthy but it was cheap to shoot back then.  :(

The OEM stock is a little flimsy but it is not a combat rifle so who really cares.  Some guys have added Swiss stocks their 522 and it does improve the looks and the rigidity of the stocl over the OEM one.  They appear to be a little on the pricey side so I would not go that route unless you are really fanatical about how rigid your .22 stock should be.

Mine ate every thing I fed it.  I put some really sketchy .22 I had found in the bottom of my box of nonsence and it ran it all day long.  Think really old Winchester Wildcat or it might have been some I had when I was kid.  It ran it though.

enjoy it and if you find some .22 for it let us know.  :)

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Basically purchased my 522 Classic on impulse too, absolutely no regrets. Nice shooter and as others have said, eats everything. Have a TRS-25 on mine, works great. You're going to love it if you have ammo for it!

Edited for typo
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Great rifle! I bought the Sig 550 series Swiss stock from Sig for mine to match my 556 Classic. I have heard that Sig just now started supplying the 522 with the Swiss stocks instead of the fake ones.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Love mine. Pretty accurate for a fun gun. I too swapped my stock for the Swiss stock and the handguards for Swiss 551 handguards. Only downside is there isn't really any good options for sights. So slap a simple scope or red dot on it and have fun. Utterly reliable even with bulk ammo. Uses standard Black Dog mags too. Has the feel of a real rifle unlike the airsoft feel a lot of the other .22 tactical clone type rifles have.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine has been perfect out of box. I fired 1000 rounds of federal bulk through it and only had two malfunctions, but I believe that was due to problems with the rounds. The things I wish they would change on the rifle include making the pistol grip interchangeable with ar 15 grips (i.e. magpul moe grip) and also make the stock less wobbly. I'm planning on hand fitting a magpul miad grip to mine with some dremeling to the grip. I am also going to replace the stock with a DDLES adapter so I can use a buffer tube and ar 15 stock.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked one up. I also use the Bushnell TR-25 on mine. It came with the "Swiss" stock and I like it much better then the telescoping one. Really does have a more solid feel to it. Just got done putting 400 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt thru it and it never hiccuped. Surprising considering how dirty Thunderbolt is.

Really liking this setup.. (Fun too!!!)

ETA: My classis came with iron sights, 3 rails and swiss style butt stock. It did not come with the blue hard case, just a cardboard box. It was purchased 2 weeks ago and my LGS said he got it from a major distributer just a week prior to me buying it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Love mine.. I've had 3, one had over 25,000 rounds through it before I rebarreled it and gifted it to a cousin. I've had all sorts of red dots and such on them.

Current one is a heavy barrel cut down and threaded to 16.2" and has a 4x scope on it. I want a commando version too someday.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
OK so lets see if I got this right. The swiss stock just folds, and the other one is a tele stock that is a folder as well?

I think the one I am getting must have the tele stock that folds it

It was $489 yesterday on PSA
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 3:52:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Sig had offered the 556 and the 522 with their own (rumor is Chinese made) folding and telescoping stock. Although I have seen pics on the web of Swiss commandos with these telescoping stocks, they are not the typical Swiss 550 series stocks (which have a short to medium length of pull and are folding only). Due to complaints about flimsy stocks and them not being true Swiss style, about a year or two ago Sig switched to actual Swiss-made Swiss 550 series folding stocks for the Sig 556 and 551-A1 rifles, but still sold the 522 with the old style telescoping stock. Now Sig just switched to selling all of these rifles with the true Swiss stocks. Even though the Swiss stocks are more popular and authentic, some still prefer the telescoping stock nonetheless.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Originally Sig had offered the 556 and the 522 with their own (rumor is Chinese made) folding and telescoping stock. Although I have seen pics on the web of Swiss commandos with these telescoping stocks, they are not the typical Swiss 550 series stocks (which have a short to medium length of pull and are folding only). Due to complaints about flimsy stocks and them not being true Swiss style, about a year or two ago Sig switched to actual Swiss-made Swiss 550 series folding stocks for the Sig 556 and 551-A1 rifles, but still sold the 522 with the old style telescoping stock. Now Sig just switched to selling all of these rifles with the true Swiss stocks. Even though the Swiss stocks are more popular and authentic, some still prefer the telescoping stock nonetheless.

OK so the one I have pictured above has the NON Swiss stock since it is a tele-stock and side folder. RIGHT?  I guess that is why they were marked down because the newer ones will come with the swiss stock huh

Honestly I'll be happy if it comes with the iron sites that are pictured. I couldn't find anywhere in the add it saying it did or did not come with iron sites so the only thing I could go off of was the picture. I guess I'll see when it gets here... But I think that if it dosen't say "No sites are included" or "Sites pictured are for demonstration only" then to me that means it comes with them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I really like mine. I got it several years ago when my local crack dealer was selling them for $299. All the western CO guys knowwho I'm talking about. Put a Bushnell holosight, cheap Eotech, on it. Great fun.

I think you're over thinking the stock issue. These guns are US made and come with the folding and telescoping stock. Some people like to put the Swiss made folder from the 556 on it. Heavier and high quality but not necessary for a .22 unless you have other Sig rifles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK so the one I have pictured above has the NON Swiss stock since it is a tele-stock and side folder. RIGHT?  I guess that is why they were marked down because the newer ones will come with the swiss stock huh

Honestly I'll be happy if it comes with the iron sites that are pictured. I couldn't find anywhere in the add it saying it did or did not come with iron sites so the only thing I could go off of was the picture. I guess I'll see when it gets here... But I think that if it dosen't say "No sites are included" or "Sites pictured are for demonstration only" then to me that means it comes with them.

Right, the one pictured above has the non Swiss stock, which is folding and telescoping. I don't think it is a big deal, but I preferred the real Swiss stock like on my 556 and all other 550 series rifles. Here is a video showing the two different stocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KciLJCyn39o

My 522 came without any sights (it has a plastic filler in the spot for the front sight). If it doesn't come with irons or you don't like them, just get a cheap red dot. I have a Primary Arms red dot for mine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#14]
love mine really accurate, non ammo sensitive and really reliable with all the bulk packs I've used remington, CCI blazer and federal

like it more than my ruger 10/22 because the length of pull can be adjusted if you are shooting with kids

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Love mine. Groups nice and tight, very reliable even with Ultra Quiet CCI rounds.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s611/gthktx/133_zps38c16776.jpg
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Newer models are shipping with swiss stocks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I picked up one as well- but have not shot it. waiting for a Primary Arms red Dot to come be available as well as .22LR ammo

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know if the newer Swiss style stocks fit the 522 classic and if so how much they cost? I may get one to bypass waiting for a ddles stock adapter. I may have to give sig a call
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 4:13:09 AM EDT
[#19]
when you guys say "Get a cheap red dot" how cheap are we talking?  I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130864902175?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone know if the newer Swiss style stocks fit the 522 classic and if so how much they cost? I may get one to bypass waiting for a ddles stock adapter. I may have to give sig a call

they do

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/397570_The_most_badass_Sig_522_X__supressed_.html
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
when you guys say "Get a cheap red dot" how cheap are we talking?  I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130864902175?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I would suggest sticking with Bushnell or Primary Arms:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I got my 522 SWAT several years ago.  I put a Primary Arms red dot on it and haven't had a single complaint about either. I actually like this rifle better than my ARs. I even ordered a 556 SWAT but it still hasn't come in and we are going on 5 months wait.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Great rifle.  Very accurate, reliable and high build quality.  I've handled a lot of ".22" clones but this one actually feels like it's centerfire bigger brother.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#24]
love mine, but think im going to sell it just because I dont shoot it since I got my dedicated .22 SBR

ZERO COMPLAINTS with it!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Picked it up today and I am very pleased.  It came with the Sig iron sites, the add on rails, and the extra butt pad.  All I need is a "Cheap Red Dot"
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine did not come with any of that, well done.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn you, I want one so bad but they didin't make a NY compliant one now I'm fucked either way till I get out of state....
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Damn you, I want one so bad but they didin't make a NY compliant one now I'm fucked either way till I get out of state....

And I get to drink a Big Gulp while I shoot it too

if I can find ammo...
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Vortex Crossfire/SPARC or Primary arms. My Sig 522's have worn all 3.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top