Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:20:57 AM EDT
I bought this last week from an older gentleman who was supposedly the second owner. The rifle is quite nice, but not quite as nice as I had envisioned. I am curious if there are things that can be done to restore the rifle closer to factory new condition. I know that is impossible, but I just mean make it nicer than it is now. (As far as I know, the rifle is 100% original, but I am not an expert. Nothing appears to be modified and I think it is the original finish. Although, when you remove the barreled action, under where the barrel sits in the barrel channel on the stock, there is a spot of yellow paint. I have no idea what this means, but it appears to have been put there intentionally. Anyone know what this would be?)

I rate it probably in the low 90's as far as condition. Although I may not be the best judge, at any rate, I am hoping there is a 'Smith somewhere who can maybe polish the stock to remove some of the handling marks from the past 30 years. Nothing is through the finish, so I think if someone knew what they were doing they could maybe take it from a 92-93 to a 96-97% or something along those lines.

As well as go through the rest of the rifle and try and clean everything up as much as possible. Trigger/Safety, bolt, etc. Just restore it as much as can be done, without modifying it, as it is all original and I want to keep it that way.

Member here, AeroE shot it and looked it over yesterday and recommended a gentleman from IA if I recall, that is real good with the Remington 541s but the name escapes me right now. Maybe he is the guy or maybe you all know some others.

Here are some pictures.

Here the flash shows some of the wear, I think.  

Different light I think shows more accurate color, It is a dark stock and very pretty.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The rifle appears original to me, but this is under the barrel on the stock. Anyone know what the deal is?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks like expanding foam window insulation.
Bubba bedding attempt?

I have a 541-S that I bought new many years ago and don't recall finding anything like that in the original barrel channel.
The original stock was about as pretty as yours, but it didn't fit me well and I loathed the plastic forend tip.
I modified the stock heavily, ruining its' collector value, but getting it to fit me perfectly.
It's a squirrel killer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That looks like expanding foam window insulation.
Bubba bedding attempt?

I have a 541-S that I bought new many years ago and don't recall finding anything like that in the original barrel channel.
The original stock was about as pretty as yours, but it didn't fit me well and I loathed the plastic forend tip.
I modified the stock heavily, ruining its' collector value, but getting it to fit me perfectly.
It's a squirrel killer.

No, there is nothing anywhere else on the stock. Just that one small spot. Like someone was marking it. Just wondering what it was.

Also, there is a "41" on the bottom of the receiver near the trigger. Any meaning?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
As noted above, Remington did not use a real rosewood for the tip, but rather plastic, and while it's not "bad" plastic it isn't rosewood.  

The plastic magazines are the general weak point on the rifle and they vary from "ok" to "pure crap".

My 541S not shoot all that well due to how the barrel was bedded.  I ended up free floating the barrel and glass bedding the action to a point about 1" in front of the receiver to get it to shoot to my expectations.

The finish on the stock is a close relative to the stuff used on bowling pins, so anything beyond steaming out some dents will probably involve stripping and re-finishing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As noted above, Remington did not use a real rosewood for the tip, but rather plastic, and while it's not "bad" plastic it isn't rosewood.  Yes, it is plastic. Looks great, doesnt bother me, not an issue.

The plastic magazines are the general weak point on the rifle and they vary from "ok" to "pure crap". Mine is functioning 100% without a single issue on my first range trip. Not an issue, but I ordered a second, just to have a spare.

My 541S not shoot all that well due to how the barrel was bedded.  I ended up free floating the barrel and glass bedding the action to a point about 1" in front of the receiver to get it to shoot to my expectations. I dont intend to bed it, as it appears to have shot very well with the 1 ammo I ran through it so far(And I'd prefer to keep it original). I have high expectations based on this. So, I am good there.

The finish on the stock is a close relative to the stuff used on bowling pins, so anything beyond steaming out some dents will probably involve stripping and re-finishing. This is something I am interested in. Steaming, I have heard, can help. But I personally have not tried it. This is the kind of stuff I am interested in learning about. Because I wish to rehab this rifle as much as possible, without modifying it. How effective can this be? I have no big or major damage but there are several little indentations on various places and I'd love to smooth them out. Also, is there a way to polish or possibly even buff the stock that will make it look noticeably better?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, that is a rifle to be proud of owning, whatever its perceived faults.  It looks to me like it's going to shoot great, and that is what matters most.  The finish is okay as long as it doesn't fail, and then putting on a proper finish is just a step along the way.

That yellow paint is a mystery, I can't think of a reason except thatt it's possible the factory used it as some way of identifying that stock as having an inlet for a 541 action.  Weird in any case.

The gunsmith is Brian Voelker.  He comes to Benchrest for the ARA Nationals, I don't know about other matches through the season.

BRIAN VOELKER GUNSMITH
Address: 2878 170TH AVE RYAN, IA 52330 USA
Voice: 1-319-932-2570

It turns out that Canjar made triggers for 541's, and there appear to be a few floating around that might be bought.  I have read in more than one place that Timney makes a trigger for the 541, but you'll have to ask about it.

Maybe I should ask for first dibs.  You should see the Smith and Wesson Model 34 I adopted today; this is one of those guns I've wanted since I was a kid.

Watch this site for an update on metal magazines:  http://www.outbackgunparts.com/Specials.html.

Convert for common Remington magazines:  http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2493864.

That Martini we shot yesterday had a stock that looked about as bad as the Anschutz stock I showed you yesterday, or worse.  It was so bad I had to use a cabinet rasp to clean up the decades of dings and scratches, before I could sand.  It's stained with Minwax Red Oak oil base stain (I like a red background on my guns) and finished with way too many coats (over 10) of Tru Oil cut with  turpentine and rubbed between each coat to make sure there is no haze in the finish.  I think I used steel wool at around 5 coats and 10 coats, too.  This time I used roughly 3 to 4 parts turpentine to one part Tru Oil for every coat; I used to switch to full strength Tru Oil after the second coat, but this is far easier to rub out and build slower so defects are easier to prevent and correct.

My next stock will be finished with either Gun Sav'r or Minwax spray on laquer, sprayed on and immediately rubbed in, with probably 3 or maybe 4 coats.  We used this last summer when I was learning to checker, and it works well.

Thanks Aero, and it was great shooting with you yesterday. I actually spoke with Brian today. He told me that the 541s Custom Sporter that I have was the best factory 22 Remington made and that it usually needed nothing. Occasionally centering the crown helped but that was it, as far as improving it but leaving in factory condition.

The rest of the stuff he does are modifications that take it out of original condition and I dont want to do any of that. So, I am just going to clean it up as best I can and shoot the hell out of it.

I am making progress though on my Kidd 10/22 project. I think I found the stock I want. A Mcmillan clone made by Captain Kirk on the Hide. The stocks are phenomenal apparently, but he had some issues and got in over his head initially but he appears to have it worked out. And you pay when he is ready to ship.

It looks great, has a lot of features, including pillars, adjustable LOP, and cheek (So it will be great for both me to shoot as well as my girls) and is also Gel coat.

I think I'm going to get one from him. I will use the Hogue in the meantime. Thanks again, had a great time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked for that rifle every Christmas for about 10 years.  Never got it.

Beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I asked for that rifle every Christmas for about 10 years.  Never got it.

Beautiful rifle.

LOL, I know that feeling. And thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You should see the Smith and Wesson Model 34 I adopted today; this is one of those guns I've wanted since I was a kid.

How 'bout a link to the thread where you show us pictures of it?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice 541-S jmt1271.  I enjoy mine.

Who makes those bases and rings?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bases are from Weaver I believe and the rings are Burris Signature Zee rings. I like them on rimfire rifles. Looking for a set in 30mm for my Kidd build.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bases are from Weaver I believe and the rings are Burris Signature Zee rings. I like them on rimfire rifles. Looking for a set in 30mm for my Kidd build.

Thanks.

I need an optics upgrade.  Mine still has the cheap 4X Bushnell that I got with it for my birthday in 1984.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#15]
My very good buddy owns one that his dad bought new and it is an absolute tack driver even with the old 2-7. I love that gun at 100yds. The mags never gave him a problem but I would have preferred a nice metal mag.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My very good buddy owns one that his dad bought new and it is an absolute tack driver even with the old 2-7. I love that gun at 100yds. The mags never gave him a problem but I would have preferred a nice metal mag.

I agree. their rep for accuracy was a big factor for me. and based on my first range trip I think mines going to live up to it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#17]
The accuracy issue my 541S had was the POI walking a bit as the barrel warmed up.  The contact in the fore end was very inconsistent and free floating the barrel resolved the problem. I did go ahead and bed the receiver as well though.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to bolt .22s and I wanted the 541S to shoot with my Model 52, CZ 453, and Anschutz 64.  Ideally on a no wind way with middle grade match ammo, I want to be able to put 10 shots on point of aim (from a hunter or target perspective, a one hole group is pretty useless if it's not on point of aim) in a 1.25" circle at 100 yards at least 1/3 rd of the time.  And, with the 1/2 to 2/3rds of the groups that don't meet that standard, I still expect to see the 2-3 flyers in the group fall within a 1.5" circle on point of aim.

My 541S after being bedded will do that.

I still hate the magazine. I have 3 of them, only 1 of which is consistently reliable.

For field use I put a Leupold 2-7x33 on my 541S.  It's got decent glass and is about the right size for the rifle in terms of proportions and balance. If you want the most in target accuracy, you'll probably want more magnification, but it will come at the expense of looks and handling, and that's a shame on a high end sporter like the 541S.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The accuracy issue my 541S had was the POI walking a bit as the barrel warmed up.  The contact in the fore end was very inconsistent and free floating the barrel resolved the problem. I did go ahead and bed the receiver as well though.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to bolt .22s and I wanted the 541S to shoot with my Model 52, CZ 453, and Anschutz 64.  Ideally on a no wind way with middle grade match ammo, I want to be able to put 10 shots on point of aim (from a hunter or target perspective, a one hole group is pretty useless if it's not on point of aim) in a 1.25" circle at 100 yards at least 1/3 rd of the time.  And, with the 1/2 to 2/3rds of the groups that don't meet that standard, I still expect to see the 2-3 flyers in the group fall within a 1.5" circle on point of aim.

My 541S after being bedded will do that.

I still hate the magazine. I have 3 of them, only 1 of which is consistently reliable.

For field use I put a Leupold 2-7x33 on my 541S.  It's got decent glass and is about the right size for the rifle in terms of proportions and balance. If you want the most in target accuracy, you'll probably want more magnification, but it will come at the expense of looks and handling, and that's a shame on a high end sporter like the 541S.

agreed. hoping mine will shoot that well without having to bed it. although I'm not above a removable spacer.

on glass, we agree. mines wearing a Leupold compact, 3-9x33.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Just found this thread nice rifle! I love mine very very accurate.. Model 77 mags will work fine but i find loading only 9 they feed much better.
The trigger is adjustable there are instructions on RFC on how to do it.

Mine will put 10 rounds easily into an inch at 100yds. I use a bsa sweet 22 6-18 on mine in leupold rings and turn in bases.

I wish mine had that forearm tip mine is just a bleak dark "wood" color. Someone also added that front site as far as i know they did not come with iron sights. Ill toss some pics up tonight.

Dont lose that 5rnd mag they are like GOLD rare as hell and the one i had before i broke it was flawless.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice. I kick myself for not picking one up when they were still made. That one is an oldie but a goody. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just found this thread nice rifle! I love mine very very accurate.. Model 77 mags will work fine but i find loading only 9 they feed much better.

Mine will put 10 rounds easily into an inch at 100yds. I use a bsa sweet 22 6-18 on mine in leupold rings and turn in bases.

I wish mine had that forearm tip mine is just a bleak dark "wood" color. Someone also added that front site as far as i know they did not come with iron sights. Ill toss some pics up tonight.

Dont lose that 5rnd mag they are like GOLD rare as hell and the one i had before i broke it was flawless.

LOL. Since this thread, I sold the Remington and replaced it with a Kimber model 82 Deluxe. I have that 5 round mag for sale in the ee.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Since this thread, I sold the Remington and replaced it with a Kimber model 82 Deluxe. I have that 5 round mag for sale in the ee.

Whoa.  You need to start a thread on that!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top