Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2012 5:12:53 PM EDT
Hi guys.

I've got ~50 bucks to spend on 10/22 magazines.

I'm looking to maximize my mags for my dollar. I'm thinking 1 factory 10 rounder, and 2 aftermarket magazines. Problem being, I'm not quite sure what magazines are good.
This is a new production 10/22 for what it's worth.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
These are supposed to be really good.  $30.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Now, I've heard they tend to jam a fair bit, especially for the cost.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I bought one today and it jammed a lot.
Guy at the gun store says they need some use to break in. We'll see.
I won't be buying anymore. The 10 round mags are a lot more reliable.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Been using the Ruger BX ones with no issues.  It's now the only ones I'll use.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy 4-5 factory 10 rounders
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Been using the Ruger BX ones with no issues.  It's now the only ones I'll use.

This...I haven't had a problem with them.  Midway usually has them for around $25.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Standard 10 round or extended, do not waste your money on anything other than real Ruger mags.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys, a ruger 25 round magazine is 30 bucks after shipping. (They're 40 bucks in my local fun store).

I'm a college kid. I *could* buy 1 ruger 25 rounder, OR I could buy 2-3 non ruger magazines.

So, yeah, I"m figuring that there *has* to be a worthwhile non ruger magazine to get the best bang out of my buck.

Yes, I *could* buy two ruger magazines, but that would mean I'd be eating ramen and eggs for the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Guys, a ruger 25 round magazine is 30 bucks after shipping. (They're 40 bucks in my local fun store).

I'm a college kid. I *could* buy 1 ruger 25 rounder, OR I could buy 2-3 non ruger magazines.

So, yeah, I"m figuring that there *has* to be a worthwhile non ruger magazine to get the best bang out of my buck.

Yes, I *could* buy two ruger magazines, but that would mean I'd be eating ramen and eggs for the next couple weeks.

Buy once, cry once. Why waste money on junk that jams every 3 rounds?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've heard some people had problems with the BX-25 but out of the thousands they have sold I'm sure it is only a fraction of that has jamming or other function issues.  I bought four new Ruger 25 round magazines and have a dozen new Ruger 10 round magazines with no functionality problems.  Last week Thursday I shot close to 1K rounds with no magazine problems or FTF/FTE issues.  BTW, I've seen Ruger magazines on sale the past couple months.  Regular prices on CDNN isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You should be able to find FACTORY Ruger 10 rounders for $12-$15, even Walmart carries them usually.  That is the wisest thing to do.  Listen to the advice being given to you, there are no aftermarket mags for the 10/22 that even closely compare in reliability, and they aren't going to save you much if anything in cost.  Take the advice or leave it, but buy cheap mags and you will have wished you had listened.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out the TI-25 Polycarb mags
The BX-25 at half the price.

I have several of the steel lip version and they all work trouble free.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]
TI-25 steel lips were what I had before. They're really nice. Never tried the polymer lipped ones but I imagine they're good too.

The 10/22 TD I just bought came with a BX-25, so I'll have to give that a try too.

Anyways, to echo what the other guys said: Ruger mags are pretty much your best bet. Midway has a deal on the clear 10-round mags, they're 13.49 each until tomorrow. The black 10-round mags are 11.49 each, and the BX-25's are $24.99.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Okay, thanks guys.

What I've decided I'm going to do is get 2 10 rounder's and get one of those TI .22lr magazines. Then, when I get some more money, go grab a few of the ruger 25 rounders.

Thanks a ton guys.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought 2 NIB ruger 25's at a gun show for 50 bucks, have had great luck with them out of my 2004 10/22 deluxe.  had absolutely no jams or stovepipes.  I always had issues with the steel lip butler creek mags.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#16]
My cheap hot lips mags were junk for the first 200 rds. Now they are my most reliable mags. I hope to buy more cheap from guys who don't know to break them in! I bought the new ruger bx25 and so far so good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 6 of the Butler Steel lips mags that have been 100% for years and recently bought 2 of the new Ruger 25 rounders and so far with acouple thousand rounds through my Stainless Take Down model they have been 100%. They run the same way in my other 10-22 also. I like the idea of the Ruger sticks being servicable. I took one apart the very first day I got it and they are easy to clean internally which is a good thing. I have dozens of factory 10 rounders I have bought over the years for chump change because people thought they were worn out.....LOL I took them apart and cleaned them out and they work like new.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought one today and it jammed a lot.
Guy at the gun store says they need some use to break in. We'll see.
I won't be buying anymore. The 10 round mags are a lot more reliable.

I polished the feed lips with a felt wheel and some polishing compound on my Dremel and my mag worked perfectly for 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I shoot the SNOT out of the Butler Creek 25 rounders (hot lips, not steel lips).  I bought one of the new Ruger mags and after taking it on one range trip (3-4 times reloading it that day), It'll stay in the bag next time.

My LGS had the BC mags for $13 and I picked up a few.  YMMV, But I would still buy them if they were priced the same as the new Ruger.....

gbosh
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#21]
All I use now is the butler creek steel lips, I pick them up when I find them for $20 each
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Butler Creek w/steel lips and it works great after I filed the inside plastic section that was too tight...rounds wouldn't make it to the top....I can't remember what ammo I was using...I know Fed Vpack works through it. Bought 4 w/plastic lips($8ea) and they don't work....Doesn't make sense coming from the same company. I've looked them over and it looks like they sit higher(toward centerline of bore) than the steel lips. I opened up the front feed area to see if that helps but haven't gotten out to try them. I would stay away from those. I also have a Blackdog drum that works great(feeds Rem GBullet, Win 555 bulk, Fed Vpack)...after I did some filing on it to match mold seams and reduced the spring pressure to 1 wind...and these things load up fast and easy....Downside is they are expensive....I incorporated the primary ejector into the gun, so this may affect your experience with the plastic lips/towers of some mags. I can't believe how reliable these 10-22's are. I have about 1000 rounds in a new one that I'm waiting to put in the Red Jacket bullpup stock and it hasn't jammed a single time....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top