Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2012 2:30:36 AM EDT
I handled one of these at the gun shop last weekend and really liked it. Any reason not to buy it? I have a marlin 795,but wouldnt mind getting a nice accurate bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, not really. My Mark II is a cheap model and it shoots great. I've heard of some people having issues with the rifling being poorly machined but since you can check it out before hand, not an issue for you.

There's a Mk II thread here with some tips to improve accuracy as well.

Edit: Here's mine. Mueller makes great scopes for the money.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Love mine , Shoots the best with CCI SV And Fed 719

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine wouldn't hold zero to save its own life. It shot horrible groups at all ranges with match grade amm and crappy ammo. I had a leupold mk2 4-12x on it. It's too bad cause I liked the gun but I got rid of it. I later read that the stock screw torque values can make or break the accuracy and I had removed the action for cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine wouldn't hold zero to save its own life. It shot horrible groups at all ranges with match grade amm and crappy ammo. I had a leupold mk2 4-12x on it. It's too bad cause I liked the gun but I got rid of it. I later read that the stock screw torque values can make or break the accuracy and I had removed the action for cleaning.

You have to play with the torque on the action screws,doing so will make a word of difference in accuracy .
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to play with the torque on the action screws,doing so will make a word of difference in accuracy .

buy a thicker plate to help as well since the stock one is rather thin.  My MkII is lights out and shoots every bit as good as my CZ452fs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah i have the DIP Bottom metal on mine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta get the DIP bottom metal for it if you get one. The EGW 20 MOA scope rail is a good idea too.

I put both on mine along with a Harris swivel Bi-pod and Vortex Crossfire 6-24x scope and just tied for 3rd place at our gun club's rimfire benchrest match. I and the other 3rd place winner shot a 99 out of 100 with 4 X's. The Second place finisher got 99 with 6 X's shooting a Remington 40X and the winner got a 100 with 8 X's shooting a nice CZ. There were other Remingotn 40X rifles there and a couple of Anschutz rifles. Given what I paid for that Savage compared to what those 40X and Anschutz rifles go for, I am very happy. Everyone else shot with a fancy bench rest and i only used my bi-pod with a rear bag.

I am going to have a local smith bed the action on my Savage to see what it will really do. That Smith shot in the match too, but he was the only one to not use a scope and shot from the prone without a rest when the rest of us shot from the bench with scopes. He still pulled off a 5th place finish. He is a very good shot.      

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top