Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2012 5:05:30 PM EDT
looking for something fun in a 22 and don't want an ar look alike.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#1]
better than the gsg-5 IMHO.  No need to replace screws and all that.

I'm not gonna talk you into it but got mine for $265 and can tell ya... it gets attention at the range and eats crap ammo all day long (but stay away from Rem TurdBolt aka ThunderBolt)... brush your chamber clean every couple hundred rounds to avoid FTE/FTF ...thats it.

quick vid rippin thru rem golden bullets and fed automatch all mixed up in the same mags:
Click Here

p.s. I converted mine to a 5 with a parts conversion kit for $19
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The HK MP5 22LR is another option if you want something that looks like a MP5, like the GSG-5 did, without all the flaws and malfunctions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The HK MP5 22LR is another option if you want something that looks like a MP5, like the GSG-5 did, without all the flaws and malfunctions.

I think he said he's looking for something fun... spending $500 dollars on a gun made by Umarex just doesnt sound like that much fun to me.

Understandably the gsg-5 had problems in the beginning and like most guns...it's not perfect.  But I have no complaints and feel that the GSG-522 LW is an excellent buy.... not getting rid of mine and I can't stand guns that malfunction!  

Can we agree to disagree?  I'd rather put my $500 towards saving for a real MP5 or throw in $300 more and grab a nice AR.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he said he's looking for something fun... spending $500 dollars on a gun made by Umarex just doesnt sound like that much fun to me.

Understandably the gsg-5 had problems in the beginning and like most guns...it's not perfect.  But I have no complaints and feel that the GSG-522 LW is an excellent buy.... not getting rid of mine and I can't stand guns that malfunction!  

Can we agree to disagree?  I'd rather put my $500 towards saving for a real MP5 or throw in $300 more and grab a nice AR.

They are NOT made by Umarex, they are only the importer, Carl Walther makes them. On top of that they are great rifles. The fit and finish is top notch, while you will pay a little more for this, I have seen numerous people spend just as much trying to make the GSG 522 look like an MP5. So IMO spending $500 for a firearm that will work great out of the box, has great quality, and feel, is worth the price. And before you go around thinking I hate GSG, I owned one before the HK, It was a great gun after I spent the time getting it run well, IMO I would have rather spend $500 and have a gun that works right away.I know many owners of GSG 5s, and 522, that have sold them to get the HK after feeling and shooting one. You going to spend 350-400 on a GSG 522, when you can get the HK version for a $100 more. We can agree to disagree, but the OP wants something other than a AR platform in 22LR, there are other options than the GSG 522 that have the look.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]
GSG-522: $375
GSG-5 Conversion kit (to replace some of the cheesy looking 522 parts and make it look more like an MP5): $32
Decent quality collapsible stock: $80
Upgraded screws & HK Push Pins: $30
$517 total +/-  to make it closer to being like the Walther version. Also, factor in your time to change all the screws and fit the conversion kit. And be sure to check and tighten up the bolt jacket screws every couple hundred rounds to avoid cracks.

If you want the GSG sights to be as good as the H&K, add $70 for a real MP5 rear sight.

or...

H&K (Walther) MP5-A5: $475

(Firearm prices are from gungenie.com. Tax and transfer fees not included.)
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are NOT made by Umarex, they are only the importer, Carl Walther makes them. On top of that they are great rifles. The fit and finish is top notch, while you will pay a little more for this, I have seen numerous people spend just as much trying to make the GSG 522 look like an MP5. So IMO spending $500 for a firearm that will work great out of the box, has great quality, and feel, is worth the price. And before you go around thinking I hate GSG, I owned one before the HK, It was a great gun after I spent the time getting it run well, IMO I would have rather spend $500 and have a gun that works right away.I know many owners of GSG 5s, and 522, that have sold them to get the HK after feeling and shooting one. You going to spend 350-400 on a GSG 522, when you can get the HK version for a $100 more. We can agree to disagree, but the OP wants something other than a AR platform in 22LR, there are other options than the GSG 522 that have the look.

+1  paid $440 for my MP5
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the changes from the 5 to the 522 where cosmetic?  Is it more reliable than the 5 and already includes proper breakdown pins?

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe the changes are only cosmetic, I never owned one, but I think the reliability has changed because they are just better coming from the factory, often especially with smaller companies the first couple of generations of guns will have issues( at least this has been my experience), just because they don't have all the time and cash to work out the bugs, they let the end user do it, so they can make a cheaper product.

I paid about $425 for my gsg 5 that I had.
I paid $485 out the door for my HK MP5 22.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are looking for a fun gun, the GSG-522 should do it.

I have several GSG-5, 522 and a PK, all get fun range time.

Frankly its not made to the iron & wood craftsmanship you would get out of a CZ-452, but in my experience it is  a fun gun to plink rapidly and inexpensively, with and that also has  a realistic look to it.  It of the Tacti-cool generation of 22 guns (Walther P22, GSG, MK-22) so its got a high aluminum & plastic content to replicate a look of a higher cost.

The later "522" has some aesthetic changes that make it appear different than the HK due to some lawsuit issue, but you can buy the parts to bring it back to original HK looks for cheap if you care.  Plenty of mags and accessories out there for reasonable prices.

I have about a dozen other 22 rifles, so its not my only 22 nor would I want it to be if I was to have only one 22.  That single 22 would be reserved for an accurized 10/22 or a CZ-452, but everyone has an opinion on that.  But for a plinker to add to the collection, its fun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 skip the GSG-5, the Walther made gun is heads and shoulders above anything offered by GSG.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I still only see an apples to oranges comparison here.

Got my GSG-522 SD LW with folding stock for $287 shipped (Buds) + $19.99 for the conversion kit + $9.99 for the rubber grip sleeve +19.99 NC Star Red Dot + $14.95 HK Push Pins + about $10 shipping (huge improvement on grip feel...at least comparable to the NAVY grip feel) = $361.92

Maybe I got lucky with my particular example, but the screws on the bolt jacket and for the most part the rest of the internals of the gun were upgraded from the factory to replace what was used on the original gsg-5...I'm about 2K rounds of bulk ammo in and no malfunctions/loose screws to report.

I'm not finding the "walther made" HK mp5 SD for less than $500 shipped.

I'm certain the HK is nicer than the GSG.  But I was just making a point that you can get a decent bang for your buck buying the GSG considering base models can vary in price close to $200.  The LW 522 model weighs in at about 6 lbs with the poly receiver so, the light weight has been great for transitions while speed shooting ...cans, plates, dueling trees etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top