Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2011 8:11:55 PM EDT

I have a 10/22 Target Tactical.

I have some Remington golden bullet, Remington subsonic, and Federal bulk already on hand that I will be trying.

List the top 5 boxes of ammo from Midway.com that I should add to my cart for my next purchase to try through my rifle to see what works best in it!

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Aguila, CCI
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Aguila, CCI

There are 15 types of Aguila, and 16 CCI.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#3]
CCI Velocitor
I have found it to be the most accurate out of my Ruger 77/22 and my Savage Mark II (and I've tested a dozen different rounds.)  It is a hyper-velocity round, so its accuracy surprises me a bit, considering that the 'match' rounds like Wolf MT and CCI Green Tag are reduced-velocity rounds designed for max accuracy.  Velocitor beats them in my rifle, and has a much flatter trajectory due to the higher velocity.  I've never killed anything with one, but I hear that the Velocitor bullet is VERY effective.
I bought 5000 rounds after my second testing session confirmed the excellent accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Wolf Match is supposed to be one of the most accurate .22lr rounds.  It'll be the first kind I try in the 10/22 I'm building.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#5]
40 gr CCI Minimag
CCI Blazer
Eley Match
Aguilla
Winchester Wildcats (for plinking)
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#6]
wolf match target    j&g sales
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Wolf Match is great stuff but has gotten expensive
CCI std is good
CCI Blazer can be pretty decent
I have never found a gun that shot CCI Green tag any better than CCI STD (I think it is a joke that CCI is just goofing on us with STD in a different box for twice the cost)
Lots of crazy priced ELEY,RWS but although they give slightly better accuracy in a Anshutz I could never see much improvement over the Wolf in my Rugers

A side note here about wolf. Wolf will shoot some tiny little knots for groups but will throw a round a little wide every now and then. If you shoot 10 or 20 round groups against the CCI STD the wolf groups seem much tighter but the CCI STD will score as well in some guns and actually better in others.

When your 10/22 is tight and new it will likely only function well with high velocity ammo. As you get a couple of bricks through it you might find the function of standard velocity ammo to be
in the good range. In rimfires standard velocity is generally more accurate but every firearm is different.

The ammo companies are always messing about with rimfire ammo so if you find something that is a decent deal cost wise and gets decent accuracy (cost/accuracy can be a sliding scale for different uses) be sure to buy all you can find as next week the stuff in the same box could be altogether different and it will cost more

Any rimfire needs test firing as every single gun is different.

If your Ruger has a factory trigger there is only so much that you can do . My recommendation is a drop in like the JARD which midway carries. Besides a great trigger you get a better mag release and bolt release
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same gun minus the tactical-ness of it..... Just a Target.  

It's still tight, so I'm running high velocity stuff through it.  So far it's fired and fed every single round out of about 1k rounds.

CCI Blazer has the tightest average group of anything I've run.  It is also semingly the slowest I've run and has a lower point of impact than anything else.  

I've also run Armscor HIgh Velocity.  It's a hollow point and runs great.  Slightly looser groups, but still acceptable.

The worst I've run is the Aguila super duper extra high velocity (not just the high velocity.... I've only ever seen it at Ammo to Go). One of my aquaintances runs it in his handgun conversions because it cycles the full size slide nicely.  It sucks in the 10/22.  Double the group size of anything I've run, but obviously fast.  POI about 3" higher at 50 yards and all over the place.

I'm about to start the ammo quest for standard velocity. I think I'll start with the CCI as a lot of people have had good luck with it in their 10/22's.

Good luck... enjoy.  I love mine.  It's settling in nicely and my favorite target has become 12ga shells at 50 yds.  I can usually consistnely single shot them.  Pretty solid, and I know I've only touched what's possible.  I've had a couple 5 round 50yd groups with all holes touching.  Usually by 10 I've blown it. Hahaha!
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, for $75, I picked up a Midway pistol case, some targets, and 15 different brands, velocities and weights of ammo.  I'll need to bring a sandwich, it is going to take a while to run through all of these under consistent conditions to see what my 10/22 and my MKIII like best.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
CCI blazer and CCI minimags are all I shoot.

Blazer for plinking, minimags for target shooting.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
CCI Mini mags (36gr HP) general plinking round
Remmington Yellow jackets (Hyper Velocity truncated HP) raccoon/possum disposal round
Lapua Master P (don't think it's made any more, but my 10/22 loves it)

I've found both my .22's (henry carbine and 10/22) both shoot the Mini's best, with the yellow jacket's shooting about 1-1.5" higher and Lapua 1.5-2" lower.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Fed Automatch and CCI Blazers
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Fed Automatch
CCi Blazers
CCi Standard velocity
SK standatd velocity
Wolf gold match...

Anyone remember that black steel case "junior" ammo from Russia?
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#15]
aguila super extra––w/ copper washed bullets.
hard to find anymore but it's the most accurate i've found.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#17]
For plinking I use:
Federal Champion 510
Federal Automatch
CCI Mini Mag
Federal bulk packs

For hunting I use:
Winchester Super X
CCI Velocitor
Aguila SSS when I need something a little more quiet

For semi serious target shooting:
Wolf MT
CCI Standard Velocity
CCI Green Tag (not really worth price though IMO)

All of the above function well and accuracy is varied but Wolf MT is by far the best out my 10/22.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had bad luck with Remington golden bullets. I would avoid them like the plaque !
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Wolf Match Target and Aguila Super Extra.  Both are subsonic and the Aguila is hollow point.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
CCI Velocitor

I have found it to be the most accurate out of my Ruger 77/22 and my Savage Mark II (and I've tested a dozen different rounds.)  It is a hyper-velocity round, so its accuracy surprises me a bit, considering that the 'match' rounds like Wolf MT and CCI Green Tag are reduced-velocity rounds designed for max accuracy.  Velocitor beats them in my rifle, and has a much flatter trajectory due to the higher velocity.  I've never killed anything with one, but I hear that the Velocitor bullet is VERY effective.

I bought 5000 rounds after my second testing session confirmed the excellent accuracy.  

Green Tag is a joke out of the two rifles I have tried it in(Remington model 5 and Remington 581). Both rifles were shot with scopes, both with rests. The Green Tag gave groups twice as big as Federal and Winchester bulk. I've noticed that with a 50 yard zero(when using Federal bulk), the higher velocity of Stingers gives me a point of impact very close to my 50 yd zero at 100 yards. Grous aren't dime-sized like at the shorter range but definitely small enough to kill rabbits out that far.
ETA-The best group I have shot out of my .22s came from bulk packed Winchester Expert HV. Tiny groups, but lots of misfires.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried a ton of ammo after I built my rifle.  I had the best luck with Wolf match, and believe it or not, Remington Yellow Jackets.  Mini Mags also shoot decent out of my rifle.  Wolf match is by far the most consistent though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a 10/22 Target Tactical.

I have some Remington golden bullet, Remington subsonic, and Federal bulk already on hand that I will be trying.

List the top 5 boxes of ammo from Midway.com that I should add to my cart for my next purchase to try through my rifle to see what works best in it!

I shoot Federal Bulk pack exclusively because I've shot CCI Mini-Mags, CCI Stingers, Remington Bulk Packs, even "Match" grade ammo and to be honest they all shot the exact same except the Federal Bulk Pack's are WAY cheaper.  Maybe if you are trying to shoot 100 yards a sub-sonic round might make a difference, but 50 yards which is all a .22LR is usefull for I can't/don't see any difference.

Remington golden bullet's are JUNK, they are EXTREMELY dirty and you will have to clean your rifle ALOT.

I have yet to find a firearm tha the Federal Bulk pack's don't preform well in, Including the Sig Mosquito which is suppose to be known for being ammo picky.

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Target
Wolf Match
RWS Target
Lapua center x

Plinking
Federal Auto Match
Rederal Bulk
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Winchester Dynapoints Subsonic, just, copper washed, 25.00 / 500rds box.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#25]
CCI Blazer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Wolf Match Target
CCI SGB (Small Game Bullet)
SK Standard Plus (Same as Wolf Match Target)
Eley Target
CCI Mini Mag (Round Nose)

For general shooting/plinking usually and of the Federal Bulk ammo is decent.

Have had nothing but problems with Remington Golden Bullets...so have many others.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Walther KKS-D does best with Minimags of all things
My Ruger MkII loves Federal Automatch
My old heavily modified 10/22 devoured Aguila (blue and yellow box)  but my MkII wouldn't even cycle it reliably and my KKS-D hates it for accuracy
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
CCI blazer and CCI minimags are all I shoot.

Blazer for plinking, minimags for target shooting.

I have 1 partial box of Federal that is the last of an assortment of .22 ammo that I had to test for reliability and accuracy and when it is gone all I will be shooting is CCI blazer and CCI minimags.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#30]
My 10/22 loves Winchester Super X and Wolf Extra Match.  Those both result in 10 shot groups from 50 yards that can be completely covered with a dime.  Keep in mind though, the rifle I'm talking about is not even remotely stock.  The only thing left stock is the trigger housing, pins and receiver.
For plinking I've had great luck with Federal Champion bulk and CCI Blazer bulk.  I've found that Federal Game Shock is the most inaccurate of the Federal line in my guns.  I've tried just about all of their .22lr ammo and the Game Shock is the most disappointing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#31]
My 10/22 loves the CCI 40gr 1235fps CJRN Mini-mag the best out of all the cheap ammo.  The CCI 40gr 1200fps "AR Tactical" is a close second.

I haven't tried any of the true match ammo, and I only shoot copper jacketed ammo, no plain lead stuff.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't believe I forgot to mention Federal Lighting in my previous post.  It's cheap, quiet, reasonably clean and pretty damn accurate out of some my rifles.  Everyone owes it to themselves to try it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top