Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2011 8:10:24 PM EDT
I have a savage mark II I bought a Boyds tacticool stock and bought the bottom metal and hardware from savage.
I have a problem with one screw that is located in front of the trigger guard and threads into the rifle but it is too short to be of any use any suggestions ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Take the screw to the hardware store and get a replacement of the proper length would be my first guess...
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Take the screw to the hardware store and get a replacement of the proper length would be my first guess...

It's not a common sized thread.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried the local stores I also went to Fastenall and Grainger not sure what to do It is a very odd thread size it is machine thread but what ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Try mcmastercarr.com, you will have to buy lots more than you need, but I would bet they have it!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
no dice !
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that DIVERSIFIED Innovative Products , sells a tick bottom metal that comes with longer screws . You might want to give them a call and see if they will sell you just the screws.

DIP Bottom Metal
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3602

DIP sells bottom metal, trigger guards and longer action screws for the savages, and IIRC it's beefier stuff than the OEM sheetmetal.

Includes: 1/8" Thick flat magazine replacement bottom metal* and two(2) - 1" long, 5/32" Allen drive socket cap action screws. The longer matching action screws are a great addition for fitting the action into aftermarket stocks so you can custom fit them to get the maximun thread use available.

soo i think the solution is to shitcan the OEM parts you just bought and get the nicer stuff.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know that DIVERSIFIED Innovative Products , sells a tick bottom metal that comes with longer screws . You might want to give them a call and see if they will sell you just the screws.

DIP Bottom Metal

honestly, your post wasn't there when i made mine... but i'd still recommend getting the complete package from DIP and scrapping the OEM parts
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DIP Bottom Metal

honestly, your post wasn't there when i made mine... but i'd still recommend getting the complete package from DIP and scrapping the OEM parts

+3 The OEM stuff is like tin foil anyways and hurts in the accuracy department since it won't hold a torque value for long after the metal distorts.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I  guess I will spend money twice and have a lesson learned
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Call Savage they'll help you out. The screws are cheap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I got them from Savage and they are too short are you thinking they offer something longer ?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Those should be the same screws I got from Savage. Mine worked. Strange. Call them back and see if they have a longer screw.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#14]
How long is yours ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The front trigger guard screw I got from Savage is roughly 7/8". It was the same screw that was on the rifle when I bought it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How long is yours ?

Comparing sizes eh?
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]
HaHa... calling savage in the am
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

DIP Bottom Metal

+3 The OEM stuff is like tin foil anyways and hurts in the accuracy department since it won't hold a torque value for long after the metal distorts.  

this.  the only weak thing in the Mk II line is this.  Otherwise they are absolutely fantastic rifles for the money.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well I  guess I will spend money twice and have a lesson learned

I have the same issue.  I can get enough to get a decent purchase, but I wish I'd researched more and heard about the DIP bottom metal and screws before ordering them from Savage.  Oh well.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#20]
They are 12x32 which is NEF or National Extra Fine.

Savage has the longer screws because they offer the tacticool stock on some of the factory rifles.

The part number should be: 106875

Should be $2 each.

My choice has been the DIP setups all along, but if you just need the screws, that might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

They are 12x32 which is NEF or National Extra Fine.

Savage has the longer screws because they offer the tacticool stock on some of the factory rifles.

The part number should be: 106875

Should be $2 each.

My choice has been the DIP setups all along, but if you just need the screws, that might be the way to go.

I just got my DIP bottom metal.  For any of you that are on the fence about ordering it, there is no comparison.  Just order the bottom metal kit with screws.  You'll be much happier.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Call Savage or Boyds.  I'm sure one of them can atleast point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Which Boyd's stock are you putting on your Savage MK II's?  I have a Savage MK II FV with synthetic stock, love the rifle but dislike the stock.  If you get the Boyd's stock please post a picture.  I really like the looks of the Savage TR stock and wondered if the Boyd's is similar?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Which Boyd's stock are you putting on your Savage MK II's?  I have a Savage MK II FV with synthetic stock, love the rifle but dislike the stock.  If you get the Boyd's stock please post a picture.  I really like the looks of the Savage TR stock and wondered if the Boyd's is similar?

The Savage TR Stock is made by Boyds so the Tacticool will look the same ..

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks I'll look at the Boyd's web site again unless there is a better place to order the stock.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks I'll look at the Boyd's web site again unless there is a better place to order the stock.

Boyds is the only place that i know of other than Savage , Boyds will be cheaper.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

DIP Bottom Metal

You guys mind helping me out a bit here and telling me which DIP kit I need to order if I have a new production FV-SR on the way?  Are all the new FV-SRs the E-Receiver?

I have a Boyd's TC stock on backorder while I'm waiting for the rifle to come in, so I figured I might as well get this taken care of too, just not sure which kit I need.

ETA:  Are there any additional parts needed besides the bottom metal kits that should be replaced on these guns?
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

DIP Bottom Metal

You guys mind helping me out a bit here and telling me which DIP kit I need to order if I have a new production FV-SR on the way?  Are all the new FV-SRs the E-Receiver?

I have a Boyd's TC stock on backorder while I'm waiting for the rifle to come in, so I figured I might as well get this taken care of too, just not sure which kit I need.

ETA:  Are there any additional parts needed besides the bottom metal kits that should be replaced on these guns?

You will need the MKII and 93 series 22LR "E" Receiver Bottom Metal Action Screw Kit, and also a trigger guard .  DIP Is out of the bottom metal with screws right now but you can back order it .

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

DIP Bottom Metal

You will need the MKII and 93 series 22LR "E" Receiver Bottom Metal Action Screw Kit, and also a trigger guard .  DIP Is out of the bottom metal with screws right now but you can back order it .

Thanks bud, wasn't sure if I needed the trigger guard as well.  Appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top