Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2011 12:01:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
How about this?  I think it is a litlle over your budget though.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=11&t=345049

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
tactical Innovations has some options. so does Hornet products
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
A rifle that old, of that model, and in that kind of shape, I'd just leave it alone. If you want a tacticool rifle, get a beater and rebuild it.

It's your rifle, and you'll do with it what you will, but that's my .02 worth.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A rifle that old, of that model, and in that kind of shape, I'd just leave it alone. If you want a tacticool rifle, get a beater and rebuild it.

+1

i just bought a 1978 DSP in similar condition to what you describe. it cost about three times what your budget is for upgrading.

no way in hell i'd tear it apart and pimp it out with the tactical crap. do that on a modern gun.

if you want a nice "tactical" gun, spend $150 for a used gun, get a Christie & Christie's "Super Stock" (which costs more than your budget) from www.1022central.com  and then upgrade the trigger, get a new barrel and whatever else you desire.

ballpark price for a nice 10/22 based "TactiCool" gun will be about $600 by the time you're done

a new Deluxe Sporter (DSP) ain't as nice as your old one (has the new, MIM bolt, polymer trigger group, engraving all over the barrel, etc.), and if you lose any of the old parts, or chew up the old receiver when it's in "tactical" mode the value won't be what it is now.

they ain't making any "new" old stuff.

of the old DSP needs work, i'd get a trigger job done that cleans up the stock parts. on a new gun, i'd replace parts in the trigger group, or the whole trigger group, replace the barrel, replace the stock... in short, change out everything except the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1

I don't think you will have to spend a ton of money to get "tacticool."  You should look around for a complete tacti-cool rifle for $150 and save yourself the heartache of separating parts of a famiy heirloom.  In fact, you don't have to spend much more money at all for something like a MP15-22.  If you must have a Ruger conversion, look for something that functions but has a beat up stock.  Maybe someone tried to smith something cool and made a big mistake??  You can buy the rifle cheap and use the parts you need in your custom build.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 dont tacticool the classic you have.

Buy a beater and tacticool it. I have tac'ed out a few 10/22's. They eventually get banged up and dirty and you dont want that to happen to a classic.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I would keep the classic rifle. My first rifle was a 10/22, that my dad bought me when I was 12. Still have it in LNIB condition. Its one of those things I will be able to pass down to my kids.

As far as tacticool, I would find a beater. I will be in the market myself, shortly. I am thinking of a Nordic Kit. Its all aluminum and looks like an AR.Nordic 10/22 Kit
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have that kit, and built it about a year and a half before Ruger decided to sell it all together from the factory (SR-22). Mine runs and shoots like a champ.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I inherited a 10/22 from my dad.  It is a gorgeous early 70s deluxe with high grade walnut stock.  There is not a scratch on it.  I do shoot it from time to time, and have a ton of mags for it.  I would like to tacticool it without modifications to anything metal.  I also want to store the stock to keep it nice.  Thus I'm thinking a tacticool kit of some sort.  Budget is about $125ish.  Any suggestions?

Change a thing on it and you'll make the baby Jesus cry.  Tacticool it and you might just get struck by lightnin'.

Tuck this one away and roll your own from a pawn-shop-special.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If I had to pick one it would be the G36 kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top