Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2011 4:02:30 PM EDT
Can I shoot .22 short in a gun marked for .22lr? I know it will fire fine but will the .22 short gum up the chamber or wear out the chamber after a while?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I do, it's only 22..
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Gallary guns have been doing this for years...as well as us .22LR revolver shooters.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Many Marlin rifles (especially the ones with Micro-Groove barrels) are roll marked that they can shoot .22 Short, Long, & LR.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My Ted Williams semi-automatic .22, (aka Winchester model 190) happily shoots .22 shorts, .22 longs. and .22 long rifles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard that excessive short use in a long rifle chamber will oblong/egg out the chamber over time. This I have not seen in person, but I have read a bunch of times of the old gallery guns and such that were effected that way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have heard that excessive short use in a long rifle chamber will oblong/egg out the chamber over time. This I have not seen in person, but I have read a bunch of times of the old gallery guns and such that were effected that way.

I have not heard that, more tha likely it was chamber erosion from shooting tens of thousands of shorts, many gallery guns were chambered in .22 short only.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#7]
you'll get some fouling in the front of the chamber, just run a boresnake thru it and it'll clean that out.

a 10/22 won't like it, but Volquartsen makes a conversion kit. other detachable mag guns might have feeding problems, but tube mag or single shot guns will do fine.

if you want CB Shorts for low noise shooting, CB Longs are the same thing, just in a longer case. reportely the CB Longs are "more accurate" because they don't have the freebore than the shorts will have, but i've never compared the two.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad has two .22's, a Western Field SS bolt action (his dad's rifle) and a Savage M29 that have had mostly .22 shorts fired through them (small game hunting) and those rifles both look like new inside.  No issues with erosion of the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My Ted Williams semi-automatic .22, (aka Winchester model 190) happily shoots .22 shorts, .22 longs. and .22 long rifles.

Funny.  I have the exact same rifle.  You can get a shitload of shorts in that tube!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny.  I have the exact same rifle.  You can get a shitload of shorts in that tube!

Only the older 190s will run shorts right. Some are only marked .22LR, and if you run shorts through the mag tube of those the gun will try to feed two at a time(at least the one newer one I had did). I have had two that ran shorts flawlessly-a 190 and a 290, both 6 digit serial numbers. The one that did NOT run shorts had more loke a 9 digit serial number with a letter prefix. If anyone has Winchester 190, serial number 318708 I want it back. I was stupid 15 years ago and traded it for a Remington Viper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the older 190s will run shorts right. Some are only marked .22LR, and if you run shorts through the mag tube of those the gun will try to feed two at a time(at least the one newer one I had did). I have had two that ran shorts flawlessly-a 190 and a 290, both 6 digit serial numbers. The one that did NOT run shorts had more loke a 9 digit serial number with a letter prefix. If anyone has Winchester 190, serial number 318708 I want it back. I was stupid 15 years ago and traded it for a Remington Viper.

My 190 is a Sears gun.  It's marked .22 short, .22 long, .22 long rifle.  I also have 2 Winchester 290s that are marked the same.  Never had a problem with shorts in any of them.  Couldn't tell you what the SNs are.  Don't have the inventory with me right now.  I'll try to remember to look and edit with SN range on them.

ETA:  Sorry you traded your 190 for a Viper.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 190 is a Sears gun.  It's marked .22 short, .22 long, .22 long rifle.  I also have 2 Winchester 290s that are marked the same.  Never had a problem with shorts in any of them.  Couldn't tell you what the SNs are.  Don't have the inventory with me right now.  I'll try to remember to look and edit with SN range on them.

ETA:  Sorry you traded your 190 for a Viper.  

If numbered at all, I'm pretty sure the store brand guns had a different numbering system(maybe not) and I think they were mostly in the earlier years of 190 production anyway.The vast majority of 190s that show up in my area are only marked .22LR, and the S, L, LR ones are usually beat to hell.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top