Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2011 3:08:38 PM EDT
If you were going to stockpile around 10k rounds of .22, what would you choose?

The wally world bulk packs are tempting, but I don't think it would run well in everything.

I have used cci blazer before with good results in multiple firearms, and it is reasonably priced.

Price is not the deciding factor, more on reliability in multiple platforms.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
CCI MINI-MAG, 0030.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The wally world bulk packs are tempting, but I don't think it would run well in everything.
I have used cci blazer before with good results in multiple firearms, and it is reasonably priced.

Buy what works in your guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
My guns all seem to run fine on CCI subs.....so those.  The mini mags run good to, but arent as quiet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive got about 15K of GoldenBullets. They work in everything I have Except a dedicated 22 upper.
I also have about 5K of Federal which work 100% in my Ar Upper. I think I could just get the
Federal but at the time I got the GBs the Obama Ammo scare was on and could not find any
federal.  CCIs are nice but more pricy and I cant find enough locally. If money and availability
wasnt a factor I would go with CCI Stingers. Never had a 22 that wouldnt run on them;
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy what works in your guns.

That is the obvious answer, but I may not always have the same guns.  I guess I am looking for reasonably priced, but fairly reliable as well.   10k rounds would be a lifetime supply of food IMO, but I would rather spend $3-400 than $800.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experience, if there is a universally cheap and reliable (as reliable as .22LR can be) ammo, it has to be CCI Blazer. Not necessarily the most accurate, but the several cases that I have gone through have been the most consistant and least problematic. Federal bulk pack used to be that way, but hey have had numerous issues lately. Winchester Super X is aslo usually good stuff, but gets pricey, quick. Almost as expensive as MiniMags (though they are usually worth the money, especially breaking in new arms).

Avoid Remington of any type, except for use in bolt, lever, or single shot arms.

All of the above are my own opinions, based on many years of experience. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got 5000 rnds of Fiocchi.  My Tac Sol upper loves it, as do my High Standards, 10/22 Colt, Marlin and Win.

It's the only one I've found that everything loves.   In a few weeks, I might get another 5000.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I've never had any issues with Federal Bulk Pack.

but I've heard amazing things about the Wolf .22LR
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
My philosophy is that if a firearm won't work with any SV .22LR, there's something wrong with that firearm, and it should be fixed.  And once that's taken care of, HV stuff most always works, too.

Because of that, I don't worry too much about what kind of ammo I keep.  I have bulk packs of most all of the major kinds, and I have various CCI stuff - CB shorts, CB longs, Mini Mags, SV, Velocitors, etc..
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Stockpile for what? The end of the world?

Personally just about everything I have is most accurate with Eley Match. So I've get a pallet or two of that and a few hundred CCI Velocitors and call it a day.

For cheap bulk, nothing beats the recent crop of CCI Blazer bulk.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Find out what works with different guns and buy it.

Many poo-poo Remington, but it runs just fine in my 10/22 and my Ruger pistols, as well as my CZ Cadet and a couple of others as well.  So, I have a lot of it.

For my TS uppers I have Winchester and Federal bulk packs, which work fine, too.  So I have a lot of ammo from those mfgs too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been buying and squirrelling away CCI mini mags and CCI standard velocity lately. They seem to run the best in my (2) dedicated 22LR setups as well as my walther P22.

But at the same time I have close to 14K in federal and winchester bulk packs squirrelling away.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
most of my guns like the Federal bulk pack just fine. even my Advantage Arms .22 conversion, which came with a note saying to NOT use Federal bulk pack runs fine with it once i lubed it properly and broke it in, and my Hämmerli 505 likes it almost as much as Federal Gold Medal.

this stuff worked in the last 10.22 i had, it works in my Ruger MK2, several bolt guns, my S&W 15-22... and just about everything.

have a few guns i haven't gotten out to the range with yet, so no clue how it runs in the CZ bolt gun, CZ AR upper, the Remington 5/Zastava, or the Polish Wifama  yet, but i expect it'll do just fine, just like usual.

if your gun(s) don't like something, don't stock it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been happy with the cci stingers and the remington yellow jacket's if you have a suppressor the remington subsonics are good too...
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever your gun likes to eat. I haven't started my stockpile yet, as I've not had a chance to shoot it very much (literally 5 rounds through it). It loved those 5 CCI HP rounds, though lol.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I stockpile Federal Bulk Packs (550 or 525 Round).

They have worked flawlessly in all my .22lr firearms, including my Sig Mosquito which is suppose to be "picky" about ammo.

I have heard CCI Blazer bulk packs are good as well, but I don't shoot exposed lead ammo.

-Masta
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Stockpile for what? The end of the world?

Personally just about everything I have is most accurate with Eley Match. So I've get a pallet or two of that and a few hundred CCI Velocitors and call it a day.

For cheap bulk, nothing beats the recent crop of CCI Blazer bulk.

Stockpile for the unknown if nothing else.  10K rounds would be a lifetime supply.  .22 will kill any animal where I live with proper shot placement.  for a $3-400 investment, I would have a lifetime supply of ammunition.  Seems like cheap insurance to me.

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#18]
CCI mini-mags is the only ammo i have seen run 100% in any weapon i have ever put it through.

FED bulk pack is pathetic.  You can hear the difference between the rounds there is so much variance in powder.  Accuracy is terrible, it's wicked dirty and nasty ammo.  I refuse to run it even if it's given to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Simple answer:

Federal Bulk Packs. Typically speaking you get the most reliably feeding/functioning round in the largest/ cheapest quantity. So if your buying 10k for instance, this would be your best bet IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#20]
You said it in the OP. CCI Blazer.

Runs well, decent velocity, and is reasonably priced (actually prety damn cheap if you buy from the right places). Just bought a 5k case myself.

You may thing it's a lifetime supply, but it won't be I went through 75 rounds just yesterday after work from a single-shot Anschutz shooting 100 yards. Imagine what a 10/22 and some pop cans would go through!
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#22]
No need to go with only 1 round type.

Why not buy 8k bulk pack, 2k of something a bit better?
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The Wally World stuff has worked great for me. In fact it is more reliable than the CCI stuff.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
#1 Federal
#2 CCI
#3 Winchester
#99 Remington
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You may thing it's a lifetime supply, but it won't be I went through 75 rounds just yesterday after work from a single-shot Anschutz shooting 100 yards. Imagine what a 10/22 and some pop cans would go through!

I believe he was refering to a SHTF TEOTWAWKI using .22 for rabbit, squirrel, bird food life time.

Just a guess though.

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Personally, I've never had any issues with Federal Bulk Pack.

but I've heard amazing things about the Wolf .22LR

This. I have many many rounds of federal stowed away. Runs great in every gun I own.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe he was refering to a SHTF TEOTWAWKI using .22 for rabbit, squirrel, bird food life time.

Just a guess though.

Pretty much this...not that .22 would be limited to little critters.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I've put away several bricks of Winchester Power Points. They seem to shoot almost as well as match ammo out of most of my rimfires and I've clocked their 40 gr. bullet at a little under 1300 fps from an 18" barreled 10/22.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I still don't know why you need to limit yourself to one ammo type.

I have about 6k rounds right now. Probably around a dozen different types in the mix.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I still don't know why you need to limit yourself to one ammo type.

I have about 6k rounds right now. Probably around a dozen different types in the mix.

You don't HAVE to limit yourself,  but like in my case where I know every firearm I have that is chambered in .22lr shoots Federal Bulk Pack's with ZERO problems, why would I buy several different brands?  Especially if it's a brand that I haven't used/shot and/or doesn't shoot as well?

It it works, don't fit it.

-Masta
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't have to limit myself, but I don't see significant gains in having a varietyof ammo.  I plan to make one purchase, and don't want to over complicate it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I am going through this right now. I looked through the stash and I have a large selection of bulk and target (around 5500 rounds and I need to stock up...alot more). My recomendation is get a couple various boxes, run them in what you got, and then stack that deep. I understand that you do not know what you will "eventually have" in the way of firearms, but my experience is that it really does not matter because it doesn't stay around too long. Seriously.
  Here is my experience with some 12 .22LRs that I own (a mix of revolvers, bolt, single shot, and autos: but vast majority are autos): IIf you are running in revolvers, bolt guns or single shots then you could probably go with anything. If you are autos or mostly autos then I would avoid Remington Thunderbolts and a second worst choice are the Remington Golden bullets. I have had sucess with Federal, Winchester, CCI Blazer bulk pack so I would direct my testing to those.
  In addition the this I am stocking standard velocity CCI for running in my silencers and target .22s. For me I find them to be a good ballance between accuracy/quitness/reliability/ and cost. If you do not own a target .22 or a silencer then I would stick with bulk pack exclusively.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Might want to go with lead free. Then you won't have to throw it away in a couple years when lead is out lawed.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Mini mags and CCI standards for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy what works in your guns.[/quote]

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a couple of boxes of Remington Golden Doorstops.  They only seem to work in my kids' Cricket.  

In bulk, I've had the best luck across all platforms with Federal AutoMatch, which seems a reasonable tradeoff between cost and accuracy with the guns I presently own.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#37]
CCI Blazer
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#40]
1. CCI Blazer - Best cheap plinking around IMO. Same basic round as CCI's Mini-Mag but without the copper wash on the projectile. The added velocity is a real bonus on finicky .22LR semi-auto conversions like the AA Glock kit or various AR15 .22LR conversions.

2. CCI Standard Velocity - a little more expensive but cleaner and more typically more accurate then the Blazers. In some guns, this round can be very accurate. This round typically works very well in suppressed guns.

3. Winchester Dynapoints\Federal AutoMatch - I consider these 2 rounds to be fairly equal and I wouldn't go out of my way to find either but if you can find it locally for a good price, buy them. They are very good rounds that again are a little cleaner and more accurate then the Blazers. They are 2 examples of what I would call a quality bulk round.

4. Wolf Match Target\SK Standard + - These are the same rounds, made in the same factory just labeled differently. These are my go to rounds for accurate shooting. They may not always be the most accurate round in every gun but they will almost always be in the running.

These are pretty much the only .22LR rounds I buy anymore.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm lucky, my 10/22, Super Single Six, Steven's Crackshot, and Ruger Mark II seem to handle everything.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#42]
edit
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#43]
The correct answer is................

Do some testing with YOUR FIREARM(s).

Pick what YOU (your firearms likes) taking into consideration what matters to YOU.  Be it: price, accuracy, reliability, clean shooting, availability, etc.....

Compromise happens.

Aloha, Mark

PS....for SHTF (pun intended).....EOTWAWKI........

Charmin, MD, Northern, etc.........  Name brand or the bargin brand?  

Jeez.....Help......I can't decide what to wipe my @$$ with.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I've had very good luck with Federal 550 rd bulk pack.  I've got a bunch of that put back.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Academy Sports has Win 333 for less than $10 a box ($9.99) I just bought ten 333 boxes the other day. (+/- $105 with tax in SC.)
333/555/,Winchester white box is all the same thing 36 grain hollow point at 1280 fps. I have over 18K. at my house and it is nothing to go through 400 rounds
in my dedicated AR22 not to mention my Henry lever gun and my other rimfire fun guns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The correct answer is................

Do some testing with YOUR FIREARM(s).

Pick what YOU (your firearms likes) taking into consideration what matters to YOU.  Be it: price, accuracy, reliability, clean shooting, availability, etc.....

Compromise happens.

Aloha, Mark

PS....for SHTF (pun intended).....EOTWAWKI........

Charmin, MD, Northern, etc.........  Name brand or the bargin brand?  

Jeez.....Help......I can't decide what to wipe my @$$ with.
I know what works it the firearms I presently own.

Just looking for other peoples opinions and what brands they have had good luck with.

Im not that picky when it comes to wiping my ass.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#48]
honestly, the only 22LR ammunition I have is CCI Mini-Mag, CCI Standard Velocity, and Federal Bulk Pack
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

CCI MINI-MAG, 0030.

Thats the best 22 LR round I've ever used.  Has worked in everything, esp the semi-auto rifles and pistols.  My problem a year or so ago was finding more than one or two, if that, boxes at a time.  I'd love to buy a case or two to compliment my wally world 550 packs.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#50]
I have 15k of Win T-22 which works well out of most of my .22's
I buy other stuff once in a while too, going to try some Wolf in my Savage FV-SR
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top