Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2010 2:48:54 PM EDT

OK, here she is!

Barrel is Duracoat in HK black.

The stock has countless coats of tung oil. I kept getting flaws in the finish and had to sand and re-coat over and over. It's still not perfect but I got it to where it was acceptable to me.

I haven't shot it yet, somewhere along the way I lost the trigger adjusting spring and plunger and have ordered them from Numrich.

The scope is a cheapie Tasco I got from Optics Planet. I didn't want to spend a bunch on the scope because i plan to install the proper peep sight if I can ever find one for a decent price. They're out there, but a bit too rich for my blood. I keep bidding on ebay but no luck so far.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The part that goes on the handguard is a handstop. I had a 144LSA a few years ago. It was a nice gun but didn't fit me quite right and I never really shot it enough to know what it was capable of. Bought it for around $150 and sold it for about $300. It was pristine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The part that goes on the handguard is a handstop. I had a 144LSA a few years ago. It was a nice gun but didn't fit me quite right and I never really shot it enough to know what it was capable of. Bought it for around $150 and sold it for about $300. It was pristine.

I saw onw for sale for 800 on Gunbroker (I know) but 3-400 seems to be the price. I figure I can get mine minty for under 300.

Handstop. Got a spare?

Here's mine:

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Scroll the .22 Rifle section for all kinds of Mossberg goodies.
http://www.havlinsales.com/

$160 is an excellent price for a 144, auctioneer didn't know what he had!
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Your LSA has a round bolt handle so it was made between 1966 and 1978. The early ones with a flat handle were made from 1962 - 1965. If yours has a serial number it was made after 1968.

You are also missing the aperture (reciever) sight. The Mossberg S331 was used on the LSA.

Here's one. They show up on ebay.

My 144LSA

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgot to include this link.

Lots of Mossberg info;

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Your LSA has a round bolt handle so it was made between 1966 and 1978. The early ones with a flat handle were made from 1962 - 1965. If yours has a serial number it was made after 1968.

You are also missing the aperture (reciever) sight. The Mossberg S331 was used on the LSA.

http://atvhugger.bizland.com/pics/Rifles/S331.jpg

My 144LSA

http://atvhugger.bizland.com/pics/Mossy/144LSA0003.jpg

http://atvhugger.bizland.com/pics/Mossy/144LSA0006.jpg

That would put mine after 1968. I have a bid on a S331 sight on ebay as I type this, wish me luck on the auction. Havlin has a new repro sight but I's like to keep it original. What scope is that on yours?

I also have an email into Vic Havlin asking about the handstop. Anyone here have a line on one?

I did some work on the barrel today, removing the brown patina and buffing up the finish. No pics but i think it looks awesome now. A little more work and it will be perfect. Then, on to the stock.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 3:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I had ONE beer lastnight.

And somehow thought we were talking about a LSA.

Sorry about that, I guess I shouldn't "drink" and post.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 3:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://atvhugger.bizland.com/pics/Rifles/S331.jpg

My 144LSA

http://atvhugger.bizland.com/pics/Mossy/144LSA0003.jpg

http://atvhugger.bizland.com/pics/Mossy/144LSA0006.jpg

That would put mine after 1968. I have a bid on a S331 sight on ebay as I type this, wish me luck on the auction. Havlin has a new repro sight but I's like to keep it original. What scope is that on yours?

I also have an email into Vic Havlin asking about the handstop. Anyone here have a line on one?

I did some work on the barrel today, removing the brown patina and buffing up the finish. No pics but i think it looks awesome now. A little more work and it will be perfect. Then, on to the stock.

Yes, all of the LSB's were after 1968. They were made 1978 - 1985. Sorry for my misinformation above when I thought it was a LSA.

The only difference between the LSA and the LSB is the barrel diameter with the LSB being heavier, the same diameter as the receiver. And that the later ones only have one safety dot indicator inletted into the stock.

There's a thread over at Rimfire Central about LSB serial numbers and variations and other info.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349347

I agree, the original sight is the way to go if you can find one at a fair price. The one that Havlin's sells as a replacement isn't bad but it's not original. If you plan to mount a scope then don't even bother since it will be in the way for a scope.

Does your's have the Lyman 17A front sight?  

What scope on mine? It's a Tasco 6-24 that I had so I mounted it one day to see if I liked it...it's still on there and works well for this rifle.

Vic gets the hand stops once in a while, or watch ebay for one. Mine doesn't have one and I don't see the need for one on mine.

I used Formby's Tung Oil on mine and used Formby's Furniture Refinisher and a 3M scuff pad to remove the old finish. You might find some nice wood under the factory finish. Mossberg used some nice wood but they used a stained finish that covered it up so they looked the same.

Link Posted: 11/2/2010 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I refinished the barrel with cold blue and it came out way better than I expected. I thought it would turn out crappy and I'd end sending it off for a pro job but no way. It looks damn good if I may say so. I cleaned and polished it with steel wool and 1000 grit wet and dry sandpaper before applying the CB and buffed with steel wool.

Note the 17A front sight.

I have stripped and sanded the stock and I'm going to let it dry out for a day or two before I apply the finish. I am a fan of Formby's tung oil as well. The figure in the wood isn't as nice as yours but it's still pretty good.

I started with 150 grit, 220, 400 then 1000 and then steel wool. I have a few hours in the wood so far and it's still not perfect but it's good enough.

I think this gun cries out for an old Weaver style scope. Something antique looking. I'll have to get on the hunt for one and some rings.

I lost the auction on ebay so i'm still short a rear sight but Vic has a handstop for $18. It's cheap enough that I think i'll get one to keep it all original.

Link Posted: 11/2/2010 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The bluing came out great.

Can't wait to see the stock now.

I think you'll be happy with the way it shoots, most of them shoot pretty good.

I have a vintage Weaver V12, 4-12 power on a Mossberg 46B that I really like. All steel and heavy but built like a tank. It has a AO that will focus close so it works well on a rimfire. Had a vintage Redfield 4-12 on the LSA for a while but removed it because the AO would only focus down to 50 yards and sometimes I shoot 22's closer.

Here's the Weaver.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, no one can really say when the first LSB's were manufactured - all of the production records were destroyed sometime in the 1960's IIRC.  Officially, the first LSB's were introduced about 1976, but there are  several LSB's that have no serial numbers - meaning that they would have been made before 1968.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I know the story. But explain to me how records destroyed before they were made effects production dates for them.

I used catalogs. Yes they could be off a year or so until they undate their catalogs.

I know of the LSB's without serial numbers, but to me that doesn't mean they were made before 1968. It only means they don't have serial numbers. Even if they did make a few before 1968 they weren't "in production" . But I still doubt any were made then.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Have my dad's from back when they had rifle teams in High School, going to pass it onto my son.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Two coats of tung oil on the stock and most of the metal re-blued so far. Pics coming.

One coat of tung oil. The wood is a really dark walnut, not my favorite but the figure is OK. Maybe I should have added a little red stain but I'm committed now.

Link Posted: 11/24/2010 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking real good.

I use Minwax Red Oak stain on my walnut Mossys. Not a lot, just a wipe on and off will do it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 3:37:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you get this one finished?

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 3:56:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Did you get this one finished?

It's getting close.

I must have thirty coats of tung oil on the stock. Every coat I did, I put some flaw in it and had to do another coat. I think I'm finally getting it where I want.

Also, I was unhappy with the bluing so I've ordered a kit from Lauer and I'm going to Duracoat it. I have bead blasted the bbl and I should get the Duracoat on after the holidays. I'll be in Canadia for a week. Brrr.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Two coats of tung oil on the stock and most of the metal re-blued so far. Pics coming.  

One coat of tung oil. The wood is a really dark walnut, not my favorite but the figure is OK. Maybe I should have added a little red stain but I'm committed now.

You can tint tung oil.  Simply use some Minwax stain, color of your choice.  You can do it even after you have already put untinted oil on the stock.  Take a small container put some tung oil in it and add a few drops of stain.  How deep of color depeands on you.  The results will surprise you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Bumped for finished pics!
Quoted:

OK, here she is!

The stock has countless coats of tung oil. I kept getting flaws in the finish and had to sand and re-coat over and over. It's still not perfect but I got it to where it was acceptable to me.

I haven't shot it yet, somewhere along the way I lost the trigger adjusting spring and plunger and have ordered them from Numrich.

The scope is a cheapie Tasco I got from Optics Planet. I didn't want to spend a bunch on the scope because i plan to install the proper peep sight if I can ever find one for a decent price. They're out there, but a bit too rich for my blood. I keep bidding on ebay but no luck so far.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow very nice!
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Impressive restoration. Well done.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool.  That looks really great!

I recently came into a Mossberg Model 51M.  Needs some lovin', definately.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Cool.  That looks really great!

I recently came into a Mossberg Model 51M.  Needs some lovin', definately.  

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj368/DrMark43/guns/Mossberg51a.jpg

Mine looked pretty much like that. I love refinishing old guns.

Get on it buddy!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Holy crap! You have the shoulder thing that goes DOWN!!!

LOL

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is one I destroyed

Cut off a lot of weight.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#29]

I like it! Suppressed?

Pics of suppressor, ok thx.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I love the Moss 144.  I think it is the best shooting 22 ever.  The micro groove barrel and what not.  I hated cutting this one up but this what the owner wanted.   Plus the super easy adjustable trigger.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I just picked up an LSA yesterday. Mossbergs are a special favorite of mine.

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

OK, here she is!

What did you use to seal your stock and give it that luster. I'm in a restoration project right now on a Winchester Model 74 .22LR and was going to use Helmsman Spar High Gloss Urethane by minwax as a sealer but it doesn't shine like yours. That shine is what I'm going for. Any help would be appreciated.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top