Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 10:35:24 PM EDT
Found a Marlin M80 .22 rifle locally.

I like the look, and I am looking for a cheap bolt action .22LR, so this is temping for me.

But I was wondering how you can tell when they were made?

I live in CA, so if the rifle is over 50 years old, I don't have to do a background check/pay fees for it. So if I can determine it is older than that, I can save a lot of money and time.

And anything else I should know about these rifles?

Comes with a Bushnell scope for $150. Assuming it is in good condition (looks to be so), is this a good price?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Marlin can tell you when the gun was made pretty easily. This might take them a couple of days though.

Sounds like $150 is a decent price if the gun is in good shape. I bet it's gonna be more accurate than you thought it might be.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Marlin's date of manufacture is indicated by the first two numbers of the serial number.

If you can get the first two numbers just enter them here and it will give you the corresponding year.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Parts are very hard to come by.  I'd see how it shoots & functions before buying it.  If it doesn't need parts, go for it -

The straight Model 80 was made from 1934 - 1939 according to info on the net.  I'd guess it doesn't even have a serial number.

I have an no serial number 80G - first rifle my dad got me when I was a kid in the 60's.  It has a cheap 4x scope that the cross hairs are off center in.  One of the most accurate guns I ever shot under 50 yards.  It's the cheapest of anything I have, but one of my favorites.

ps - If it's an 80G & you dont take it, I will.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Marlin's date of manufacture is indicated by the first two numbers of the serial number.

If you can get the first two numbers just enter them here and it will give you the corresponding year.

Cool info, thanks!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top