Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 8:55:05 AM EDT
I'm going to order a 10/22 for my daughter (14 y.o.) for Christmas, was thinking the .22 carbine with the pink/black laminate stock and 18-1/2" blued barrel.  Should I order this model, or should I order a standard carbine, and just buy an aftermarket stock?  For instance, Cabelas has the pink one for $290, and the standard one for $230, I just wasn't sure how much replacement stocks are.  I've hunted around a little bit, but it seems like I can only find the thumbhole aftermarket stocks for it.

This is replacing an older Winchester semi-auto (190, I believe?) that I painted the stock pink for her.  The trigger just plain sucks on it.  She used my Marlin 60 at Perry a few weeks ago, because the bolt broke on hers, and she commented on how much more she likes the trigger on mine.  So I figured I'd upgrade her toy, but it has to be pink (I got her a pink case for it last year, and Grandma is making her a pink shooting mat for her for Christmas this year - she told me she HAS to match at Perry next year!).

Any particular traits I need to know about the Rugers?  Everything I've heard has been pretty positive on them, including accuracy.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, Congrats on getting your daughter into shooting at an early age.

Second, you can't really go wrong with a 10/22 at her level. You can do anything you want to that gun to make it her own. As for the stock, you can either buy the carbine and then upgrade, or just buy the pink one. I think buying the pink one from the get-go will be cheaper, unless you can find a pink one for cheap.

You could also go the Houge route on the stock... THIS
Or this... PINK STOCK

I have found that generally speaking, the laminated stocks are pretty pricey. The Houge has a big following (me included). You can get the houge in the standard barrel taper, or get a bull barrel channel if you chose to go that route.

Anyways, good luck, and my hats off to you sir
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I brought my daughter the pink 10/22 for her 13th. She loves it. I only way I got her to put it down was let her shoot the 870.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
got my girls the 10/22 with the pink laminated stock and they love it too!
and I think they like the "hot pink" look of it vs the hogues pink stock.
lipseys pink laminated 10/22
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on your kid? If you think she will like the pink lam stock and it will fit here, I'd spend the extra money on it. Case in point, I was going to by my son the standard carbine and let him pick out a different stock for it later but my son has very old school tastes in firearms and really like the 10/22 deluxe with the classic walnut stock so that's the one I got him.

If you're not sure she will like the pink lam stock then maybe the standard carbine is the way to go and let her pick out her own stock later OR maybe even better yet,  customize\paint the factory carbine stock to her liking? That could be a cool father\daughter project!

I just know this. Not all girls like pink. My daughter hates pink and would be very disappointed if I bought her a pink rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  She definitely wants a pink one, she was a bit bummed that she wasn't able to use hers this year at Perry for the rimfire match.  I think I'll try to get the laminated one, and if it's unavailable, just get the one with the hogue stock.

What about magazines - any brand to stay away from?  I've got a Browning Buckmark, and it seems to only like the Browning mags.  I bought a third-party mag for it, and it didn't like it, kept giving misfeeds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
other than the high dollar tactical innovations mags an factory 10 round mags the only mags i have had reliability out of is the shooters ridge mags. i have 8 of em an they run flawlessly. plus they only 10 bucks locally.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever think about dying the wood stock? I've seen it done in green and blue, but not pink. I like how the wood grain makes different shades.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I run these Mags they are only 8 bucks and I've never had a problem.

And as far as a stock goes all those pink ones are super exspensive you would be better off going with this and then painting it pink yourself. I use one in tan on one of my 10/22's and its great its just feather light and i prefer it over everything else and its super cheap so you cant lose.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The LOP on the Houge might be a bit long for a 14 y/o...  Heck, we chopped 1.5" off of my 20 y/o sister's and my Mom's 10/22s...

There is a 10/22 youth model that has a shorter stock and fiber-optic inserts in the sights.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies on the mags.  I might try out some of the less-expensive mags - if they work, great!!

Quoted:
The LOP on the Houge might be a bit long for a 14 y/o...  Heck, we chopped 1.5" off of my 20 y/o sister's and my Mom's 10/22s...

There is a 10/22 youth model that has a shorter stock and fiber-optic inserts in the sights.

I don't think she'd have a problem with the LOP for the Hogue, she's 5'9" already.  Too bad I couldn't get her interested in basketball or volleyball!  But she did join the girl's golf team this year.  Has only golfed once before this summer.  Ended up earning a varsity letter (she's a freshman), and beat me and my son yesterday!  She definitely took to that sport like a fish to water.    

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top