Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2010 2:07:32 PM EDT
Hello gents,

Need a little help please . . .

Our local club –– Tusco Rifle Club, Midvale, Ohio –– is going to hold an Appleseed Shoot in April.   From what I have read a lot of guys use a 10/22 for the Appleseed.

I shoot in the Club's Hi Power League and most of the of the other long range rifle matches but I don't have a 10/22 to use in the Appleseed Shoot.

So . . . . can anyone give me any insite on which 10/22  –– or other 22 to buy ? ?    Web-site says a scope is O-K.  What do most guys use ? ?

Any info greatly appreciated.  

Thanks ! !
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=255.0

See if you can get to these posts on helpful rifle info at the Appleseed Forum.  There's one on the Rem. 597, Marlin 795, and Ruger 10/22.

The 10/22 was the first heavily used .22 because it was there, it had 10 round detachable magazines, it was easy to put a GI sling on and you could get Tech Sights for it.

Now the Marlin and Remington are out there and you can similarly modify them for the same purpose.

I will say I'm not hearing a lot of "good press" on the Remington.

Lot's of folks are saying good things about the Marlin.

I believe either are cheaper than the 10/22 but I could be wrong about that.

Good luck at the Appleseed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Truly, guys use just about anything you can think of at an Appleseed, including bolts and lever-actions, so if you have .22 or centerfire rifle, you're good to go.

That being said, if you're just looking for an excuse to buy another gun, then make sure you get one of the 10/22's without a barrel band up front (such as a Deluxe Sporter, or DSP).  Appleseed (which is based on classic high-power techniques) requires a sling to have any chance of shooting the small groups of which you are capable.  Fastening the front of the sling to the swivel on the barrel band means your point of impact will shift depending on the exact amount of tension you have on the sling.  It's simply a no-win, and by the end of the morning, you will likely have removed the barrel band and be begging for a sling stud to screw into the front of your stock.

If you have time (they used to be back-ordered, mostly due to Appleseed), try to install a Tech Sights TSR100 or TSR200 sight ($70 for the TSR200), which mimics a ghost ring battle sight, and is much more usable than the standard Ruger notch and post (at least for us old guys with old eyes).  A DPMS Rapidex windage knob (about $9 from Midway) makes it easier to adjust the Tech Sight windage.

Quick release sling swivels are nice to have so you can detach from the rifle and leave the sling wrapped around your arm while checking targets, but the standard quick release swivels have too big a diameter to fit the standard 10/22 sling studs, so you have to upgrade to larger sling studs to make this work.  ($10 for a set of replacement studs and quck-release swivels, according to my records.)

Beyond that, spend as much as you want on hammer, bolt release, and mag release upgrades.

And even further beyond that, don't forget to have fun, and pay attention to the history lessons.  For me, the shooting was secondary; hearing the stories of April 19, 1775 were the best part.

––Gene
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a 10-22 to shoot an Appleseed - I figured that at the cost of 4 to 500 rounds of centerfire ammunition, I could afford a .22.  The second biggest thing that I learned was that the stock on the 10-22 is too short for an average sized man (I'm 5'10") and the standard sights are not appropriate for position shooting.  I went through the Appleseed with duct tape and cardboard to make it fit me and sold it shortly thereafter.  As with everything 10-22, be prepared to spend twice the amount on the rifle to get it up to something that you can shoot.  

The first thing that I learned was that everything that they taught me in Basic 45 years ago still applies.  

The Appleseed program is great, just make certain that your equipment is up to the task.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...make sure you get one of the 10/22's without a barrel band up front (such as a Deluxe Sporter, or DSP).  Appleseed (which is based on classic high-power techniques) requires a sling to have any chance of shooting the small groups of which you are capable.  Fastening the front of the sling to the swivel on the barrel band means your point of impact will shift depending on the exact amount of tension you have on the sling.  It's simply a no-win, and by the end of the morning, you will likely have removed the barrel band and be begging for a sling stud to screw into the front of your stock

The DSP's are nice but if you can't find one or don't want to spend that much, the standard model is fine. You can remove the barrel band as it servers no purpose anyway and just install a sling stud directly into the forearm. While your at it, take some sand paper and a dowel and FF the barrel. If you don't you may still have problems with shifting POI when you sling up (even with the DSP stock).

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The basic mods to make your own 10/22 LTR (Liberty Training Rifle)..............

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9517.0

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe either are cheaper than the 10/22 but I could be wrong about that.

WalMart has the Marlin for ~$135, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The basic mods to make your own 10/22 LTR (Liberty Training Rifle)..............

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9517.0

Aloha, Mark

This.

10/22 + Tech Sights + 1.25" GI sling + trigger work = great Appleseed rifle!  We built 5 of them in my family last year.

ETA: Auto bolt release. Buy one or just mod your stock piece...
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The carbine length 10/22 with the band is just fine. I just attended an Apple Seed last weekend. I went there with very little Knowledge of what to expect. My chosen rifle was a stock Ruger 10/22 with no up grades accept a 3x9 Tasco scope (from Walmart) monuted on the rail that came with the gun. I bought 2 sling stud from Walmart and screwed them into the stock in front of the band and about 2" from the end of the butt stock. I bought used sling from one of the instructors at the event and was able to qualify with out an issue. My first AQT was a 213, not the highest score but passing. as the match went on I got better. My best was 234. I have my Riflemans Patch and am very proud of it. Only 5 of us out of about 30 got it (they said this was not normal for that many guys to qualify in one match). This one guy shot above 210 on every AQT he shot, they said that was the first time they have seen that. It was his first shoot as well but his family had been to them before, he knew what to expect and trained for it.

Do your self a favor, start geeting used to going prone and sitting with your rifle before you go to the shoot. I thought it would be easy to just drop down and I would be on (this was not the case). My first few hours were spent just trying to get used to these odd positions for me. My range only allows you stand or bench shoot. If you have 2 ten rounders you r good to go. Most of the shoot will done with 10 rounds at a time.

Good luck and have fun. Apple Seed is alot of fun and very informative. I will be going to another one soon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Basic Rifle Marksmanship........

http://www.mediafire.com/?fkj2cjqwxzn

How to use your sling (click on: Leather Sling Help).............

http://www.ray-vin.com/frtech.htm

Aloha, Mark

PS.........

Oh.......I see that you already shoot hi-power.  So, this is for the "other folks" who don't know.

Then..........as noted above...........you don't absolutely have to spend money in order to pass. But, some equipment (sling mounting for starters) just adds to the fun you'll have. And, hopefully (cross your fingers) you'll see higher scores.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
grflick check out this sling:

Tactical Interventions Quick Cuff

here it is on my ltr:
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Can I ask, what stock is that?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]
the stock is a hogue ghillie tan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Truly, guys use just about anything you can think of at an Appleseed, including bolts and lever-actions, so if you have .22 or centerfire rifle, you're good to go.

Anyone using a bolt-action, or even a lever-action, at an Appleseed is going to be severely handicapped.

I had a tough enough time making the timed courses with a semi-auto.  I simply can't imagine trying it with a bolt-action.  It would be extrememly frustrating, to say the least.  In my opinion, a semi-auto .22 (preferably with a detachable box magazine) is the only way to fly at an Appleseed.  Hence, the popularity of the 10/22.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#15]
How about this:

.22lr SCAR clone

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The oem trigger pull is more than the gun weighs. Fixing that is more important than a sling imho.

I bought a Hornet trigger for my 10/22. They take the plastic trigger module and tune the metal parts to a very clean 3-4 lb. pull. They also have an option to buy a metal module, but I stuck with the cheaper plastic, and don't feel like I lost anything. There's no wiggle, and the trigger feels great.  Good value, IMHO.

I also bought a few other parts from them...
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#17]
The Appleseed crew has run that drill enough to know what's what; get on the RWVA site & get the "how to prepare" sheet & practice sitting & prone
shooting positions. I obsessed too much on my gun, which ran good, and not on learning what they were trying to teach.

There were lots of guys shooting AR's when I went to the 2 Appleseeds I've done; there was even a guy shooting an AK at one.

My goal is to get the patch (shooting 10/22), then shoot with my AR w/irons, and shoot the KD range (at Davilla)

The Appleseed radio show at 7pm Tuesdays is a good way to see what's going on without showing up first. (online broadcast
link- http://www.blogtalkradio.com/AppleseedRadio)  give it a listen!  Massad Ayoob was on a couple of weeks ago- He shot
marksman on his first Appleseed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Speaking about the Ruger factory trigger.......yes, it $%#@* donky %@!!$.

That being said, a cheap fix...........IMHO, is a VQ target hammer kit.

I installed the hammer and bushings and nothing else.   The trigger now breaks at 3 1/4 pounds.  Yes, I actually checked it with my NRA trigger weight set.  Can't say much about the "creep and all that" because feelings are subjective.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Speaking about the Ruger factory trigger.......yes, it $%#@* donky %@!!$.

That being said, a cheap fix...........IMHO, is a VQ target hammer kit.

I installed the hammer and bushings and nothing else.   The trigger now breaks at 3 1/4 pounds.  Yes, I actually checked it with my NRA trigger weight set.  Can't say much about the "creep and all that" because feelings are subjective.

Aloha, Mark

When my whole family first got into Appleseeding I set my 10/22 up with a full VQ parts kit. In 3 others we did just the VQ hammer, and in one we just polished the hammer.  The polished hammer is WAY better than stock, the VQ hammer is noticeably better than the polished, and the full VQ kit is slightly better than just the VQ hammer (main advantage is the pre/post travel adjustments let you remove all the unnecessary travel).  In short, I agree with you that the VQ hammer is one of the most affordable and quick upgrades that will really make a difference.  I would like to build another backup/loaner 10/22 and that is route I will be going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top