Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2010 3:36:38 PM EDT
I swear, I could break a stone hammer.

I had a Kaboom yesterday in my P22. Never fired any RGB in it, on the 5th round I had what I think was an out of battery detonation and the slide is cracked in two places.

Anyone know how they are about service work?
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
No problems with my P22 so don't know about service.  Seems they are not too bad.  

Hope you saved any shell fragments and call Walther.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn!!  My P22 eats a LOT of Remington... while wearing my suppressor

I'd like to hear what Walther says.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Damn!!  My P22 eats a LOT of Remington... while wearing my suppressor

Same here. I've had it for 3 months and have probably put 500 RGB's through mine.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No problems with my P22 so don't know about service.  Seems they are not too bad.  

Hope you saved any shell fragments and call Walther.

This

No problems also with wife's running rgb's.

What's the lot numbers of the ammo?
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've only run the golden bullets through mine since it was new, aside from 2 mags of cci stingers, and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had good luck with the Remington...but not so much with the winchester

did your casing look like this

linky linky
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have pictures of the cracked slide?
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any pics just yet, and no shell casing. Basically, when it blew I got hit in the face with grit and metal particles, stopped shooting, dropped the mag and opened the slide. There was nothing in the chamber or barrel, nothing on the table, so I gave it a quick once over and loaded the gun. It failed to fire twice so I pulled the slide back after cycling the second round and saw a split right along the ejector slot and another on the other side of the slide, if memory serves me it is along the top of the left side where the slide side and top meet and goes back about an inch. Basically, the top of the slide from the back of the slide opening to 1 to 1-1/4 tried to get peeled off the gun.

I'm not at home right now, but I'll post pics later tonight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't have any pics just yet, and no shell casing. Basically, when it blew I got hit in the face with grit and metal particles, stopped shooting, dropped the mag and opened the slide. There was nothing in the chamber or barrel, nothing on the table, so I gave it a quick once over and loaded the gun. It failed to fire twice so I pulled the slide back after cycling the second round and saw a split right along the ejector slot and another on the other side of the slide, if memory serves me it is along the top of the left side where the slide side and top meet and goes back about an inch. Basically, the top of the slide from the back of the slide opening to 1 to 1-1/4 tried to get peeled off the gun.

I'm not at home right now, but I'll post pics later tonight.

How many rounds through it?

They are known to crack when the round count gets high.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm guessing 2-3k rounds, it was a really early one. Think I got it in 2000 or 2001.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a buddy that broke a P-22 slide , shooting Wal-Mart bulk 22 packs.  He sent it back and got a new gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 3:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry but this thread's title needs to be changed to... "PSA: Don't buy a Walther P22"

Your cracked slide has nothing to do with the ammo you were using. This is a very common problem with P22's. Don't believe me, do a google search on it. Here some stuff to get you started... WALTHERP22_CRACKED_SLIDE

Friends don't let friends buy P22's!
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry but this thread's title needs to be changed to... "PSA: Don't buy a Walther P22"

Your cracked slide has nothing to do with the ammo you were using. This is a very common problem with P22's. Don't believe me, do a google search on it. Here some stuff to get you started... WALTHERP22_CRACKED_SLIDE

Thanks for the stupid response. Really? That are tons of p22's out there that dont have any problems. m4whore
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Pictures of the slide?
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm having some problems getting the pics on photobucket. My computer died and I'm posting from my netbook which runs linux. I was able to get the pics off my camera and into a folder here, and was able to open them but when I open the downloading dialog box on photobucket neither of the two .jpg files shows up in the folder on my camera card or in another folder when I copied and pasted.

I can email them to someone if the can host for me..
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Airgunner is correct , the P22 has a well documented history of cracking slides, just because you (m4whore) arent familiar with a fairly common problem doesnt mean it doesnt exist, you should learn to use google, or even the search feature on this very site before calling someone stupid . I will glady show you pics of mine as soon as the ag and lawyers return it and I settle with the customer who was shooting it when the slide came off and hit him in the face.

Walther USA has refused to warranty the gun
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the stupid response. Really? That are tons of p22's out there that dont have any problems. m4whore

And your's wasn't one of them.

I believe at least one ARFcommer has had his slide break.

If a .22 can crack a slide, I'd suspect poor metal in the slide way before I'd suspect the .22 cartridge.

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#20]
You might just have a weak slide. I've run thousands of RGB bulk rounds in mine with no issues other than the occasional dud. Bought mine new in 2008.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 4:25:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Airgunner is correct , the P22 has a well documented history of cracking slides, just because you (m4whore) arent familiar with a fairly common problem doesnt mean it doesnt exist, you should learn to use google, or even the search feature on this very site before calling someone stupid . I will glady show you pics of mine as soon as the ag and lawyers return it and I settle with the customer who was shooting it when the slide came off and hit him in the face.

Keep using google, and I'll base my facts on life experience. They do warranty the gun, I have had warranty work done on mine. However, there was fist year production flaws, like on most first year guns.
Keep googling....
m4whore
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#22]

And there are MANY documented slide failures with this pistol. If you don't trust "Google" go over to Rimfire Central and look around. It is one of the most civilized and truly helpful firearms sites I've ever been on with many very knowledgeable people as members. They have several, well documented, P22 failures on record there. No need to get butt hurt over a known problem with a $250 gun!

I own three P22's and I KNOW about the problem. They are just about perfect for training kids to shoot due to their small size. Long term, hard shooting use- NOTHING beats a Ruger Mk I or MK II in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 5:16:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep using google, and I'll base my facts on life experience. They do warranty the gun, I have had warranty work done on mine. However, there was fist year production flaws, like on most first year guns.
Keep googling....
m4whore

As will I , I have a cracked p22 slide in my store now that broke and hit a customer in the face, I have looked at two more just this week with the exact same slide failure manufactured 4 years after mine . And once again, no they do not warranty all guns as you imply , they have refused to warranty beyond 1 year from the date of purchase

Link Posted: 1/8/2010 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#24]
And once again, no they do not warranty all guns as you imply , they have refused to warranty beyond 1 year from the date of purchase

Sounds like a good way to buy a lawsuit to me. Build a product with a defect (known) that breaks and may hurt people, then when they try to get it fixed give them the finger....Yea, that should go over well.

I have heard some guys say they had a problem getting their guns fixed and others who said it was no issue at all. I dunno what the real story is as I have not had the problem myself and the reports are not consistent on this issue.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll host the pics if you send em over
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll host the pics if you send em over
[email protected]

sent
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#28]
That's pretty fucked, I gotta say. Any word from Walther's CS people?
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I sold my P-22 because of threads like this one.  Saved a little more money up and bought a MkIII.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#30]

This is a stress fracture crack, not caused by one bad round, but from poor design and cheap metal. It's not even close to the the chamber or any excess pressure vented from a .22 cartridge which would have vented out toward the area with the least containment which would be the port.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Again, this is a known issue with these guns. I like mine but if I ever have an issue, Walther WILL fix it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have had good luck with the Remington...but not so much with the winchester

did your casing look like this

linky linky

I had some remington bulk do that in my GSG5. Rather unpleasant experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top