Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 3:10:44 PM EDT
Just got back from the range.  Ran a bunch of Wolf Match Target through my 10 year old 597.

I still can't believe the amazing groups I get with my $120 Remington 597!  Especially with Wolf ammo.

Where is the 597 love on this forum???  

I can't get other inexpensive .22 autos to shoot like this.  The only other .22 I have that shoots as well or better is my bolt action Savage MKII BV which costs twice as much.

The rifle: My $120 597 bought 10 years ago at WalMart and a Leupold rimfire 2-7x28 scope

5 shot groups at 50 yards with Wolf Match target:

Easily the best $120 I have ever spent in my life!  I know they run a bit more today, but if they still make them as well as they did 10 years ago, they are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been  eyeballin one for myself.
I think one of their strong points is the barrel to reciever attatchment. Not a slip fit / clamp like another popular[for some reason] 22. Bad press regarding magazine related issues seem to have been addressed long ago, rectified. One very strong point for the rotary 10rd. mag. That is a strong design.
These are on my 'of interest' list.
Thanks for your post.

eta; How do you like the scope with a drop comb?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have been  eyeballin one for myself.
I think one of their strong points is the barrel to reciever attatchment. Not a slip fit / clamp like another popular[for some reason] 22. Bad press regarding magazine related issues seem to have been addressed long ago, rectified. One very strong point for the rotary 10rd. mag. That is a strong design.
These are on my 'of interest' list.
Thanks for your post.

eta; How do you like the scope with a drop comb?

The cheek weld is great!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm with ya man. I think it's a great rifle for the money and in stock form, I think it's much better then the 10/22, especially now that the 10/22 is all plastic too. I did have to upgrade the stock on mine. Basically stayed with the same stock (which I think fits and feels great) but I like wood better!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm with ya man. I think it's a great rifle for the money and in stock form, I think it's much better then the 10/22, especially now that the 10/22 is all plastic too. I did have to upgrade the stock on mine. Basically stayed with the same stock (which I think fits and feels great) but I like wood better!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/cgv69/Remmy597.jpg

I'm actually looking for the same exact laminate stock (either Boyds or Remington factory), just can't find one!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I have three 597s (.22LR and .22WMR, both scoped with heavy barrels and Evolution stocks; basic plastic stocked .17HMR with scope). Both .22 versions are tack drivers from bench. The .17 is now "reigning safe queen" as I will neither shoot it nor go along with Remington's recall-on-the-cheap. I've pretty well mastered guide rod-spring reassembly on the .22LR but the double spring arrangement on the magnums still presents some challenges. Fortunately Brownell's had springs in stock when I got the .22WMR three years ago; I'm only on the first replacement set, still have two to go. All of mine have the metal magazines. The only feeding issues I ever had with the .22LR occurred when it was new and I probably overtightened the rod screws on first reassembly after cleaning out-of-the-box. The magnums had some issues until I read a post on another forum recommending loading the magazines to 6 rounds max, instead of the listed 8; feed issues immediately disappeared. I absolutely love the .22s. And I really miss shooting the .17. This Spring I had it dialed in at 100 yds and really terrorized the Shoot-N-Sees.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my 597.  Like it even more now that I painted the plain gray stock.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Remington 597 with no sights and scope and really like mine alot. A buddy of mine is selling me his camo stock 597 with iron sights this week. It's a nice shooting rifle for the price.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]
They are nicely built rifles for the price, but the only 597 I  ever shot had a horrendous trigger pull which really turned me off to them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are nicely built rifles for the price, but the only 597 I  ever shot had a horrendous trigger pull which really turned me off to them.

Hmm. my buddy has the "yellow jacket" model.  Has some spaceship looking stock on it and a heavy barrel.  The trigger was pretty sweet I thought.  Not the lightest, but VERY crisp trigger and predicatable with good reset.  

At the time, it didn't like the cheap-o ammo too much, but ran 100% on CCI or the better federal.  I imagine there is a cheap-o bulk pack out there that it likes, but he had not found it yet at the time.

Shot pretty accurate for me.  Solid enough and a good weight and shape.

I like them, but think that the prior poor view on them has to do with the persistant early mag and feeding problems and the fallout from the remington "Viper" rifle.

I like remington a lot, but I am critical of them.  Currently I am shooting a Rangemaster 37 .22lr smallbore comp gun.  Really different than anything they make now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Great rifles, I had one until this weekend when I sold it to a friend. With 8 other rimfires one had to go, this was my least favorite(favorites being my model 12 and 121). Great rifle, nice offhand groups but my other .22s have more sentimental value and/or get used a lot more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm actually looking for the same exact laminate stock (either Boyds or Remington factory), just can't find one!

I got that one from Boyds way back but I'm guesing Boyds made them for Remington because this stock has just about the same exact profile as the factory stock and the fit was perfect.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got that one from Boyds way back but I'm guesing Boyds made them for Remington because this stock has just about the same exact profile as the factory stock and the fit was perfect.

You are correct, Boyds is the OEM manufacturer for Remington on the 597 laminate stock.  I spoke to them today in my search for one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top