Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2009 8:49:07 AM EDT
Hey all,

I have done almost everything that you can do to a Ruger 10/22, All I have left to do is get a Match grade bull barrel,  I was looking at the Tactical Solutions, but there are soo many brands I'm lost..

I don't want flutes, The barrels all seem to have the same twist rate.   Is there one that is really better than another?

I don't want to spend $500 on one, but I'd like to get a good one so I don't have to buy 2-3 before I find one that is accurate.

Incase it matters, I plan on shooting mostly Federal Bulk ammo with this rifle/barrel so if there is a barrel that works best with this ammo that's what I'm looking for.  (I know, I know, It's not match ammo, it's not CCI Mini-Mags, but it's good amo and it's many time cheaper than any other ammo.  It's all I shoot exclusively)

Thanks for the info..

-Masta
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want the absolute best, get a Lilja barrel for about $350 and put a Hoehn tuner on the end of it. Otherwise, save a bunch of cash and get a Green Mountain barrel. I've done the accuracy quest with a 10/22 and dumped a lot of cash into them. Anything more than a GM barrel will only deliver incremental returns, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the green mountain barrels, my buddy has one on his 10/22 and it shoots like a dream even with me behind the trigger
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Green Mountain 16" on mine and a VQ drop in trigger kit.  

Tack.  Driver.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
OKAY! Price no object up to $500, but you plan on feeding it budget ammo.

A Lilja will come in under budget, as will a Lothar Walther based Clark, Kid, or Volquartsen, or a Shilen, or Green Mountain, TacSol, WhistlePig, or a host of others.

You won't be likely to have a discernable improvement in accuracy until you're willing to spend more than 3 cents per shot.

My best Clark 10/22 barrels shoot Fed bulk into 3/4-1 1/2" @50yd, as does my most recent good-money-after-bad project, a custom Douglas 18" match barrel on an AR22.  

My last stock 10/22 barrel shot close to that well with the same ammo.

The custom ones shoot under 1/2" with mid-range match ammo ($6/box @current prices); the Douglas is trying to shoot one hole, if I can let it.

Masta, we had a disagreement on another thread; I don't want to offend. I shoot a ton of Fed bulk also, but I think you'll just have to take the luck of the draw unless somebody has an ironclad suggestion.

I suggest a GM (which I have not tried, but which has a good reputation), or a Clark, which has an accuracy guarantee, and then spend the rest of the $500 on a half case of Wolf Match, SK Match, or RWS Target.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Another +1 for a Green Mountain barrel... If you can find one
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OKAY! Price no object up to $500, but you plan on feeding it budget ammo.

A Lilja will come in under budget, as will a Lothar Walther based Clark, Kid, or Volquartsen, or a Shilen, or Green Mountain, TacSol, WhistlePig, or a host of others.

You won't be likely to have a discernable improvement in accuracy until you're willing to spend more than 3 cents per shot.

My best Clark 10/22 barrels shoot Fed bulk into 3/4-1 1/2" @50yd, as does my most recent good-money-after-bad project, a custom Douglas 18" match barrel on an AR22.  

My last stock 10/22 barrel shot close to that well with the same ammo.

The custom ones shoot under 1/2" with mid-range match ammo ($6/box @current prices); the Douglas is trying to shoot one hole, if I can let it.

Masta, we had a disagreement on another thread; I don't want to offend. I shoot a ton of Fed bulk also, but I think you'll just have to take the luck of the draw unless somebody has an ironclad suggestion.

I suggest a GM (which I have not tried, but which has a good reputation), or a Clark, which has an accuracy guarantee, and then spend the rest of the $500 on a half case of Wolf Match, SK Match, or RWS Target.

No offence, I'm not one of those unrealistic people that thinks I will get same hole accuracy from bulk pack ammo.    I can't see spending uber amounts of money on 22lr, if I was going to do that I'd just shoot my .223.   If one were in a competition or something then it would make since, but for plinking there's just no reason.

I am not unhappy with my factory stainless steel tapered barrel, but I have changed the stock to a thumbhole stock that was designed for a bull barrel so it looks funny with the tapered barrel, that is really the only reason I am in the market for a new barrel.   But if I am going to buy a new barrel, I want to do it right the first time and try to get the best I can so I don't buy 2-3 of them.

I typically shoot 25-50 yards 99% of the time.  1/2-1-1/2" groups are acceptable.

Anyone know how a Green Mountain compares to a Tactical Solutions?   I know the Tactical Solutions go for about $200, we like the TS barrel's because they are aluminum which is light.   Anyone know what a stainless non-fluted GM barrel weighs?  

Thanks,

-Masta
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked my Green Mountain 20" up from MidwayUSA in August, got lucky looking every day waiting to see things in stock.  Shoots great and for $110 will be tough to beat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I picked my Green Mountain 20" up from MidwayUSA in August, got lucky looking every day waiting to see things in stock.  Shoots great and for $110 will be tough to beat.

How heavy is it?  How much heavier than the stock tapered barrel?

Thanks,

-Masta
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

-Masta

Significantly heavier.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

-Masta

Significantly heavier.

That's what I was worried about.

Does anyone else other than Tactical Solutions make an Aluminum barrel?

Thanks,

-Masta

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
There's an outfit called Whistlepig. Steel liner in an aluminum sleeve. Check Rimfire Central.
Volquartsen barrels are light (I;m thinking about the carbon tension barrel, You can get it threaded, too). Lothar Walther blank.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's an outfit called Whistlepig. Steel liner in an aluminum sleeve. Check Rimfire Central.
Volquartsen barrels are light (I;m thinking about the carbon tension barrel, You can get it threaded, too). Lothar Walther blank.

I believe that is what the TS barrels are, a steel liner in an aluminum sleeve.

The Aluminum barrels are light enough for me, I don't see any need to spend the extra $$ for the carbon barrels.

I Think unless anyone has any negative input on the TS barrels, i'll prob just go with those, They are light, only slightly more than the GM barrels and I can get them in various colors..

-Masta
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Tactical Solutions barrels are not the most accurate barrels. Even on their website they claim 1" at 50 yards, most factory 10/22's will shoot this with ammo they like. Another problem is the chamber ends of the barrels mushroom from the constant slamming of the bolt into the breech face. I have a TacSol barrel on a MKIII pistol and will buy another when the mushrooming starts causing problems. Mine does have significant mushrooming but it still shoots fine but I expect it to start having problems any day now.

GM barrels are the best for the money. I have a 17" heavy taper barrel that will shoot MOA with Federal automatch. It has shot this numerous times so it is not a fluke. It is not really heavy at all and actually balances very well in a Fajen thumbhole stock. I now have it sitting in a BC stock made for a 920 barrel. This gives me roughly 1/16" of clearance around the barrel.

If you like the barrel you have now but are looking for a little more then have it set back. I had a barrel set back .185" and that cut my groups in half without doing anything else. It probably will cost about the same as a GM or Shaw barrel.

About any aftermarket barrel is going to shoot well enough but the biggest component to accuracy is the ammo. Federal is good but it will still have flyers just like any other bulk ammo. The best "bulk" 22's are probably Federal Automatch or Winchester Dynapoints. Both are good but still have a few flyers mixed in.

Dolomite

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#15]
GM,,,,,
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Well maybe it’s just me but spending money to upgrade to a “Match Grade” barrel and then only shooting bulk pack stuff through it seems like a waste of time and money to me?

Either way, go with a GM barrel. Most are around $100 or less and almost all of them are more accurate then you. You can spend more on a barrel for a 10/22 but I can’t think of a good reason as to why? If you want accuracy without adding a bunch of weight, look at their “Heavy Sporter Taper” barrels. Much more rigid then the factory profile barrel but no near as heavy as the typical bull barrel.

The only way I would buy a TacSol barrel is if I knew for a fact I was going to buy a suppressor for it. Other wise they are too light and expensive IMO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well maybe it’s just me but spending money to upgrade to a “Match Grade” barrel and then only shooting bulk pack stuff through it seems like a waste of time and money to me?

Either way, go with a GM barrel. Most are around $100 or less and almost all of them are more accurate then you. You can spend more on a barrel for a 10/22 but I can’t think of a good reason as to why? If you want accuracy without adding a bunch of weight, look at their “Heavy Sporter Taper” barrels. Much more rigid then the factory profile barrel but no near as heavy as the typical bull barrel.

The only way I would buy a TacSol barrel is if I knew for a fact I was going to buy a suppressor for it. Other wise they are too light and expensive IMO.

As I mentioned earlier, The only real reason i'm changing my barrel is because I have a thumbhole stock that is designed for a .920 bull barrel, and the factory tapered barrel looks silly in the stock..   But since I am changing the barrel, I just wanted to get a good one.

I can honestly say I will probably never shoot match grade ammo unless I find it somewhere in bulk for a decent price, I'm not really interested in paying $0.05+ a round.

The TS barrels arn't that much more than the GM barrels.   The GM SS barrel is $119, I can get a TS barrel for $169, that's only $50 difference.   I like how the TS barrels are light,  I don't really want to add 3lbs to my 10/22's.

-Masta
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I would suggest Green Mountain barrels to ANYONE, I adore mine and have used them on several other builds as well.  I have an eighteen inch fluted (although they have both fluted and non) that ran a little over a hundred bucks.  I am one of those accu-plinkers... I like to have a damned accurate rifle but also like pouring it downrange w/bulk pack ammo from WalMart.  That being said, at fifty yards through a Green Mountain I can shoot ten rounds and cover the group w/around a quarter most of the day w/Federal bulk pack, the damn thing eats the stuff up.  

I Love Green Mountain Barrels.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The TS barrels arn't that much more than the GM barrels.   The GM SS barrel is $119, I can get a TS barrel for $169, that's only $50 difference.   I like how the TS barrels are light,  I don't really want to add 3lbs to my 10/22's.

Funny because last GM barrel I bought cost me $100 shipped and only weighs 2.2lbs and balances the 10/22 perfect but you obviously want the TacSol so get it and enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 1:56:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny because last GM barrel I bought cost me $100 shipped and only weighs 2.2lbs and balances the 10/22 perfect but you obviously want the TacSol so get it and enjoy!

No, actually after reading all the good things said about GM I looked them up and wanted to purchase one, but couln't find an aluminum one,  then it got me to think about how much a Stainless Steel barrel weighed.   I don't need a feather, but I have a friend who's got the Olympics special edition with the hammer forged bull barrel and that thing weighs a TON.    I don't know how the GM's compare to that?

There's 2 things that sell me on the TS barrel's.  #1 they are Aluminum, #2 they come in different colors,   I am actually thinking I might get a GM for my 10/22 and a blue (color) TS barrel for my wife's 10/22.  

If GM made aluminum  barrlels i'd have already ordered one!  

-Masta
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#21]
All steel .920 barrels will weigh the same at the same length.

The VQ carbon ( do they still have the aluminum model?) tension barrels have a full diameter stainless shank for those concerned with peening the breech, but limited color selection (silver or carbon).
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:15:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I have two (16" and 20") GM barrels and they are excellent. I recommend them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Which one do you like better?

-Masta
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one do you like better?

-Masta

They are pretty much the same as to accuracy but I shoot the 16" more because I have it in a "tacticool" Archangel stock. The 16' is fluted and the 20" is not. The 20" is in a Ruger 10/22T stock but none of the parts in the setup come from a 10/22T.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#25]
It's slightly off topic, but as far as bulk ammo goes, I had the best results with Blazer bulk pack ammo.  It was almost as good as some "match" ammo, at least on my 10/22.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Got an 18" Green Mountain from Natchez on its way!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]
One of my 10/22 builds has a Green Mountain 16" stainless barrel and it shoots very small one hole groups at 30 yards.  Another one of my 10/ 22 rifles has a Adams & Bennet (I was told that it is made by Green Mountain.) barrel and its equally as accurate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I just rebuilt my 10/22 with one of these.  Weighs less than a pound and with the comp the recoil is mitigated enough I can watch bullet hits.  So far it likes Fed Game shock the best, but I have not tried out my Green Tags or minimags or any standard velocity fare.  And I need to have a better rest set up.

I wanted better accuracy but did not want the weight.  I used that barrel in a Hogue stock and the thing is going to be a serious grouse/rabbit killer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]
For use with Federal Bulk ammo the 10/22T barrels are excellent barrels for this, this is the only ammo I have been able to get lately.

By the way I would want a heavy barrel it allows you to see the impact on reactive targets, (clay birds and etc...), due to the weight holding the gun still.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For use with Federal Bulk ammo the 10/22T barrels are excellent barrels for this, this is the only ammo I have been able to get lately.

By the way I would want a heavy barrel it allows you to see the impact on reactive targets, (clay birds and etc...), due to the weight holding the gun still.

What is a 10/22T barrel?

-Masta
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Two Hundred AND Thirty Five Bucks???
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Masta, it's the hammer forged spiral bull(heavy-.920" 18" or maybe it's 20") that comes on the 10/22T. You have to buy the whole gun or get a used/take off one. Mixed reviews. Mine drives tacks. It has some form of match chamber in that Ruger warns against using Stingers or other longer than normal LR cased ammo. I've seen them for sale as cheap as $100. If it doesn't shoot there are guys who set the back a bit, rechamber, recrown, and good results result, or such is said.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
we have green mountain in stock
16" stainless fluted and 16" blue fluted

www.gunkings.com

Do the Green Mountain come in 1/2x28 threaded? How are the ER shaw bbls?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Two Hundred AND Thirty Five Bucks???

You ain't seen nothing, check out the barrels on the Volquartsen site.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Volquartsens start as Lothar Walther blanks. Superb. You can get threaded ones with a thread protector or compensator, either in 1/2"x28tpi.

Bull or carbon[tension, which is a .920 barrel, but LIGHT.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#36]
IMO the quantum is the hands down best barrel that money can buy. Light, Accurate, good price, and hand lapped.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#37]
http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#38]
kidd barrel coolguyguns.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Green Mountain, bar none.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a stock 10/22 with a Bushnell Trophy on it.  Shoot Fed bulk pack and at 35yrds 5 shots touch.  Don't discount Ruger OEM. Keep it clean and stay away from Butler Creek mags and you are GTG and you have $$$ in you pocket for other goodies.

skink
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#42]
GM +10
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#43]
ER Shaw from Sportsmanguide. 99.97 or 89.97 with a membership.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/er-shawreg-high-quality-10-22-gun-barrels.aspx?a=244529

I love my Shaw.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#44]
GM SS Fluted 20" here.  Much better barrel than the stock T bbl it replaced.

If I were going to get a nonfluted bbl it would have to be 16".
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a 20inch GM bull that shoot .086 5 shot and a 17inch heavy taper GM that shoot .077 5 shot both with low end match ammo(edit: at 25 yrds), they are really good barrels. there is more to making them accurate than just the barrel. Check out http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=QRB001 this guy knows his ish.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#46]
After reading what the original poster wants, I would recomend either the GM or the Shaw in an 18 inch length - fluted to save weight if you can afford it.  The 16 inchers will work too - I just do not like the look of a 16 inch barrel on a target taper rifle.  The reason I would not go longer than 18 inches is the weight issue you mentioned.  While I am stating the obvious, a shorter barrel weighs less.  Regarding the aluminum barrels - yes they save you weight, but you give up accuracy and durability.  Not worth it in my opinion.  BTW - I own both brands I recomend.  I have a Shaw on my 10-22 and a fluted GM on my 77-22.  Good luck what ever you decide to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top