User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2009 7:23:04 PM EDT
which one should I buy

pros/cons

thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I won't bash the Marlin, but the Ruger gives you sooooooo many options.

Go to MidwayUSA and look for parts/stocks/etc, and I think you'll see the difference in what you can do with each rifle!!

Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]
what are your purposes?  i was looking for another LTR.  i have a couple of 10/22's that are going to be used, but i'm not that impressed with them.  also, the unwritten theme of the appleseed seems to be "doing it on the cheap", which IMO, disqualifies the 10/22 anymore.  Dick's had the 795 on sale for $119 very recently, and marlin has a $20 factory rebate on it right now.  I put a set of tech-sights on it.  so, for $170, i have a LTR that is capable of shooting 1" bulls at 25m, or more conventionally, 4moa.

i don't know if it was necessary, but i "seasoned" the bore with the shoot/swab process that's recommended for many AR's.  after the first 500 rounds or so, it'll hold pretty equal groups with any of the bulk ammo i put through it.  problems -  i've had 2 fte's so far, but the action was still new, and i had already put in excess of a couple hundred rounds through it that range session.  the next time i had it out, i ran it hard w/o any swabbing, just to test it.  for all 2-300 rounds, no issues occurred, and accuracy didn't drop off.

it is a very light rifle to carry.  i've read that some people have added lead weight to the front end (for stability?).  it's easy to control though, and probably also a good choice for kids.  

the marlin 795 has proven to be the best rifle for my purposes, and i believe it's the most accurate, reliable rifle on the market that can be had brand new for a net of $100.  please correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems the only accessories available for it are the ATI dragunov stock, tech-sights, and extra mags (CDNN $13.99, but shipping will getcha, so have planned out all the other stuff you want to order).
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you want to do with it?

I have a 10/22 that will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards all day long using good ammo.  Using cheap ammo, 1 to 2 inch groups at the same distance.

It's good for shooting targets and silhouettes.  Occasionally, it gets used for dispatching random critters which make a nuisance of themselves by digging up the yard.

In my case, I had the gun already.  I probably paid $100 for it several years ago.
I spent about $125 on a barrel and $100 on a stock.  There is about another $150 spent on internals.  (Bolt refacing, guide rod polishing, etc.)
I honed the trigger myself.

I won't count optics because that's what I tinker with.  I like to try new things and see how they work.  I figure most people do similar.

So the gun cost me $300 - $400 plus the cost of the base gun.  Scopes and mounts might cost a couple hundred more.

If you can get a gun second hand, either from a pawn shop, a second hand gun dealer or privately you might end up better off in the long run.
It will certainly be cheaper than buying a new gun.  If you're going to tear it apart and rebuild it, why not use an old gun?
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy both. I couldnt decide between a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 not long ago so I bought 1, saved up and bought the other. Now Ive got like 5 22's. A lot of fun. Cheap to shoot still and I didnt go broke buying them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Marlin 60S-CF if you must have something other than a 10-22.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I want something fun and cheap to shoot, also to teach kids with later........I like the fact that the Rugers have alot of accessories and high cap mags......but I hear lately the new 10/22s are not as good as the older models....and not accurate  that correct?   I keep hearing the Marlin 795 is very accurate out of the box and reliable  but you only have 10 round mags with it correct?

I am looking for reliability, and accuracy.......I want to be able to teach my nephews with it and possibly my own kids later on :)

I am thinking ahead here, plus it would be fun to shoot something cheap.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you're right about the quality of later model 10/22s.  My gun was manufactured about 1995.
They are cheapening the trigger groups and I hear the holes that mount the sight rail to the receiver aren't always 100% straight.

If you can find a second hand gun it would probably be better.  Besides, if you're going to customize it, what's the use of buying a brand new gun when half the parts won't be used?

My three nephews always enjoy shooting my 10/22 because, at 25 yards, it they can knock down Coke cans with it like they are going out of style.

And if you want REAL fun, buy yourself two 10/22s and get one of these:
www.tacticalinc.com

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
From the factory 10/22's have medicore accuracy and horrendous triggers but these faults are easily fixed by the end user. Aftermarket support for the 10/22 is amazing making it possible for you to build any type of gun you desire from a match rifle to a tactical. 10/22's are as addictive as AR's have been for me, even more so because prices are cheaper.

If you just want a gun that will outshoot a 10/22 out of the box then get the Marlin. It doesn't have the ability to be modified like the 10/22 but makes up for it by being a better gun.

If you like to tinker or plan on modifying then get a 10/22 if you just want to shoot then get the Marlin.

Dolomite
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top