Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 3:48:56 PM EDT
I was thinking about the Marlin Papoose the other day. Neat concept, but I dont want to add a semi auto to my collection that isnt a 10/22. I want to stay with 10/22 for parts compatibility and because Im familiar with it. I believe the factory 10 round rotary mag that fits flush with the stock is superior to most all other .22 mags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Back in the day there was an after-market stock that incorporated a barrel clamp to replace the one currently secured to the receiver with allen screws so you could fold down the for-end and remove the barrel.  I haven't seen them in quite a few years and don't recall the manufacturer but someone will.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Back in the day there was an after-market stock that incorporated a barrel clamp to replace the one currently secured to the receiver with allen screws so you could fold down the for-end and remove the barrel.  I haven't seen them in quite a few years and don't recall the manufacturer but someone will.

I remember those. I think butler creek made them. They didnt get many good reviews.

The Ar7, marlin papoose, that one browning all use a barrel nut to attach the bbl.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I put the butler creek folding stock on mine and it's like a new rifle, i am in love all over again. Of course you may want a rifle that would float! It may spare you from a total loss in a boating accident.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep, saw one at a gun show in AZ back in December.  It was used and beat up so I had to pass but it was a neat little concept.  Butler Creek Packer System. Don't think it is in production anymore.  You can see in the pick where it is hinged right in front of the mag well and folds so the barrel can be removed to make it half the size.  I think the red ball is "sprung" to activate the folding mechanism.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Would you be interested in a Ruger 10/22 factory take down?

No

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was thinking about the Marlin Papoose the other day. Neat concept, but I dont want to add a semi auto to my collection that isnt a 10/22. I want to stay with 10/22 for parts compatibility and because Im familiar with it. I believe the factory 10 round rotary mag that fits flush with the stock is superior to most all other .22 mags.

I disagree about the magazines. They're well made but they're not without fault. The concept is good but imo they don't work all that well with waxed lead bullets. They require regular disassembly and cleaning in order to consistently work properly. Mine will usually start causing FTF malfuntions somewhere between 50 and 100 rounds of waxed lead bullets. Ruger advises against disassembling the magazines on page 25 in the 10/22 owner's manual  .

"Do not disassemble the magazine."

"Exploded view of the 10/22
magazine components. This
illustration is included to
show the relationship and
names of the magazine
components. As noted in
the text above, the
magazine should not be
disassembled."

They can, of course, be disassembled for cleaning, that's the easy part. The difficult part is the reassembly. Doing that and getting the proper rotor tension can be frustrating. The typical stamped sheet metal rimfire magazines are much easier to deal with. Strictly from a reliability standpoint, I think tubular magazines beat them all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Not really.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not really.

Yup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top