Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:13:32 PM EDT
I saw a 17 HMR at walmart made by savage for about $180. Is this a decent way to get started in a .17? What are my options for less than $300. I like savage but have no clue as to what is out there in this caliber. Any one have any suggestions where to look?
ETA gotta start a thread for the .45th post!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two.  A Savage Crack shot lookalike with the lever operated falling block and a Ruger 7717HMR with a Burris 17 scope.  I love both of them.  The little Savage was under $200 dollars when I bought it.  Im in the Ruger nearly $700.  Got it at Friends of the NRA thing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I don't want to break the bank but I want one. I guess the Savage is OK?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The Savage is a good rifle. You will probably need to adjust the mag feed lips to make it work right everytime.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks, I don't want to break the bank but I want one. I guess the Savage is OK?

I bought the walmart special Model 93 ($177) a month or so ago.  I have ~600 rds through it (yeah, it's that fun).  Not one singe issue.  Shoots easy MOA at 100 if I do my part.  I have a $59 wally world scope on it as well (Center Point) and it holds zero perfectly so far.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
That is exactlly what I was hoping to hear, thanks a lot. Time to pick one up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top