Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 10:17:31 AM EDT
I have had a marlin model 60 with tubular magazine since I was a kid. Not that accurate, but I'm realizing I haven't put different types/brands of ammo through it to give it a fair evaluation.  

I just picked up a ruger 10/22 yesterday!  

I have some mini mags and bulk paks from wal mart, but I have a feeling those may or may not shoot well...
so I was going to order some accurate CCI or aguila - just not sure what type to try?

Any suggestions for accuracy?  I will probably get both round nose and HP for variety.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#1]
federal match
wolf match
eley
SK
Hornady
CCI
RWS
Lapua
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have had a marlin model 60 with tubular magazine since I was a kid. Not that accurate, but I'm realizing I haven't put different types/brands of ammo through it to give it a fair evaluation.  

I just picked up a ruger 10/22 yesterday!  

I have some mini mags and bulk paks from wal mart, but I have a feeling those may or may not shoot well...
so I was going to order some accurate CCI or aguila - just not sure what type to try?

Any suggestions for accuracy?  I will probably get both round nose and HP for variety.

Depends on what you want to spend.  For minute of squirrel's head accuracy, CCI Standard Velocity and CCI Subsonics work well, as does Federal Automatch.  If you want to pony up a bit more, I get very good results with SK Standard Plus and SK Match.  If you want to spend a stupid amount of money on super accurate 22 ammo, Lapua Midas+ really can't be beat.

The super expensive stuff really only comes into its own in a bench rest gun, though.  For a Marlin, I think CCI Standard or Subsonic, Federal Automatch, or SK Standard Plus are the ways to go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:33:54 AM EDT
[#3]
All my wal mart has are super X and CCI mini mags...(and some shorts)

I will have to order online - any favorite vendors?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I order mostly from MidwayUSA, and sometimes from Cheaper Than Dirt.  Both have good prices.  Midway is relatively close to me, so I usually get stuff from them quick, and they're good about fast shipping in general.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I order mostly from MidwayUSA, and sometimes from Cheaper Than Dirt.  Both have good prices.  Midway is relatively close to me, so I usually get stuff from them quick, and they're good about fast expensive shipping in general.

Fixed it for you.  I'm going to have my daughter start picking up my Midway USA orders from now on.  Their shipping costs are ridiculous and she lives near them and comes home to visit frequently.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
FordGuy, i have had very good luck with both Wolf Match and CCI subsonics out of my 10/22. the price of Wolf Match is not bad in relation to the quality of the rds. availability may be another question.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolf Match shoots well out of my stock 10/22, as does CCI Blazer, believe it or not.  The Blazer ammo of the last couple of years has been very consistent and shoots well out of all 5 of my rimfires.  There are two types, the ones in 50 round boxes, also available in a brick, and bulk loose pack.  The ones in boxes have a slightly different bullet than the bulk stuff, and I find them more accurate.

CCI subsonics shoot very well out of my CZs and 10/22.

Remington Match and Winchester T22 target loads have been a waste of money for me in anything I have tried them in.

All my rimfires, except one picky CZ, shoot the Federal bulk stuff from WallyWorld pretty good too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 cheap bulk fed packs from wally. Best of the cheap stuff in my 10/22 and I have tried every brand. There are more accurate ammo out there for my gun (green tag) but it isn't worth paying 4x as much as the federal bulk packs. I can get 1" at 50 yards with it and functions great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I do a lot of my plinking/<25M casual target shooting with Federal Champion from walmart. In both my rimfires it is more consistent than anything else that comes at a similar price.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#10]
My 10/22 loves the remington golden bullets, very reliable and cheap to plink with. Not to mention accuracy is pretty good.

Now I just ordered a TS barrel and when I get it next week I will test it for reliability and accuracy with the remington golden bullets. I hope the accuracy will be better and still be as reliable as the factory barrel.

ETA: My 10/22 did not like the federal bulk from wally world. I also never tried any other ammo cause the golden bullets worked so well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm having great luck with the Federal 550 bulk packs from WallyWorld and CCI Blazer 525 bulk packs... The Blazer is surprisingly accurate, Natchez has Blazer 525 bulk packs for $14.99 right now, I just ordered another 25 packs...

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=cc10021&src=ba696

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top