Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:37:08 PM EDT
I was thinking about buying one of these for general varmint hunting, mostly Nutria. Anyone have any feedback about this gun? I would love to have one in 17HMR but the Ruger I seen was bolt action only.

Ruger 10/22 WMR
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
buy the 10/22 mag then do a bbl change on it to 17hmr
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck finding a 10/22 magnum. Ruger stopped making them, and you will pay out the ass for a used one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a NIB 10/22 magnum on Gunbroker.com and price was over $600. Auction still had a few days to go too. Get a bolt action.........
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good luck finding a 10/22 magnum. Ruger stopped making them, and you will pay out the ass for a used one.

Bolt rifle might be a better choice –– if anything breaks on the 10/22 magnum, Ruger will not fix it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Volquartsen.
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
well I need a semi-auto small caliber varmit round like the 17hmr or 22mag. 22lr wont cut it for it nutria, pelts are too thick. I have a couple bolt action 22mags now and that is what I'm using... I need a semi. any other suggestions? Why doesn't someone make a 22mag conversion kit for the AR15 I wonder?
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#7]
5.7 upper for an AR......that should fit the bill perfectly for you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw a NIB 10/22 magnum on Gunbroker.com and price was over $600. Auction still had a few days to go too. Get a bolt action.........

last time I was in my local funstore I saw one with scope, bipod and sling for $400.  Almost bought it but decided I didn't wanna pay for .22mag...
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

last time I was in my local funstore I saw one with scope, bipod and sling for $400.  Almost bought it but decided I didn't wanna pay for .22mag...

Dang, If someone comes across one and doesn't plan on buying it I would be so very much appreciative to hear about it. The 5.7 upper w/ 50rnd setup does sound good but that round is a little too loud for what I am doing. 22mag is almost too loud and that is about half as much powder... anyway, thanks for the advice

I.E.  "Makes a nice loud noise, kinda like a .357 magnum"
resource for above comment
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, the Remington semi-auto .22 magnum gets pretty good reviews.  I was shopping around for a .22 mag but ended up going with a bolt action Savage due to cost.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC, the Remington semi-auto .22 magnum gets pretty good reviews.  I was shopping around for a .22 mag but ended up going with a bolt action Savage due to cost.

Thanks, I found it. The remmington Model 597. It comes in 17 hmr too. Thanks Alot. Pretty sure I'm going to grab one of these with iron sights before next trip...

Link Posted: 2/6/2009 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad just picked up a Magnum Research 10/22 magnum.  It's pretty nice a really light with the composite barrel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
well I need a semi-auto small caliber varmit round like the 17hmr or 22mag. 22lr wont cut it for it nutria, pelts are too thick. I have a couple bolt action 22mags now and that is what I'm using... I need a semi. any other suggestions? Why doesn't someone make a 22mag conversion kit for the AR15 I wonder?

I am having a hard time believing that.  Sounds more like an excuse for a missed shot.  

Have you tried stingers out of a rifle?
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am having a hard time believing that.  Sounds more like an excuse for a missed shot.  

Have you tried stingers out of a rifle?

The pelt area on the head isn't thick enough to stop a 22lr. So what is your point? a well placed shot to the pelt? makes no sense... not too mention not even the whole head is visible when they swim, just about the top portion and the top of their back side is visible. The water stops a .22lr like nothing too. Do some research or go Nutria hunting and you'll see, repitition is the father of all learning, don't be barrel burn'n on me...

You can kill a deer with a 22lr with a well placed shot. Doesn't mean it is the ideal round. Trying to be 100% on a Nutria's head that is swimming at around 100yds away is going to be a  good shot, (yes, a good shot, I'm not shooting from a bench...and the target is generaly on the move) simular to what it would take to shoot a deer behind the ear or at the base of the neck which I seen my dad do when his 7mm jammed

Link Posted: 2/6/2009 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Ruger stopped manufacture in 02/05.

Buy the Magnum Research model.  The only reliable high cap for the gun is by Volq. - but you will have to adjust the feed lips.

Pass on the 10/22 .22win mag. by Ruger unless you have experience in making them reliable.  I do.  However, I recommend that people take the easy route and get the Magnum Research knockoff.  Be aware that other knockoffs do not accept the Ruger factory magazine.

A bolt action .22 win mag does not permit as fast a follow up shot.  Marlin makes an excellent .22 win mag bolt action.

The .17 may end up a fad.  Then again, it might not.  If you choose speed to 100 yards, then it is the .17.  If you choose less drop off after 100 yards (some people call it accuracy), then it is the .22 win mag.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bolt rifle might be a better choice –– if anything breaks on the 10/22 magnum, Ruger will not fix it.

realy ?? any reason why ? thats a nice little rifle, i let mine go a few years back  

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I regularly shoot nutria with a .177 cal GAMO air rifle.
Hit right behind the eye and gravity does the rest.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I regularly shoot nutria with a .177 cal GAMO air rifle.
Hit right behind the eye and gravity does the rest.

Oregon, must have larger and tougher nutria than south louisana. Oh, Jefferson parish SWAT teams shoot nutia at night with Ruger 10/22's.

nutria control program
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

realy ?? any reason why ? thats a nice little rifle, i let mine go a few years back  

Ruger won't fix a problem 10/22 magnum because they don't have any spares.  But, last time I heard any reports on it, they were replacing them w/ 77/22 magnums.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruger won't fix a problem 10/22 magnum because they don't have any spares.  But, last time I heard any reports on it, they were replacing them w/ 77/22 magnums.

The gave a friend of mine the choice of any 22 magnum they make....

His bolt broke after he converted it to 17hmr....... he's currently searching for a replacement bolt because he likes the gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top