Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 6:11:30 PM EDT
Wow, was the Walmart scope terribly off zero out of the box.  Took quite a lot of clicks to get it zeroed.

I just started shooting, so I am far from being any sort of expert, or really even decent.  Don't know much about optics, other than I know I need something better than what I put on it.  I think I'm going to wait until my Henry Golden Boy comes in.

With that said, is this decent grouping for this gun and scope?  This was out about 35 yards with CB Longs.  I understand that these arent terribly accurate, but they are great for my suburban backyard.  After getting it zeroed, all my targets pretty much had an identical group as the one shown.  I didnt have any sort of rest, did it on one knee.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
did you shoot them 1 at a time, handloading them singlely, or did they work doing the semi auto thang?  Usually cb's dont work in most 22's, the bbl twise isn't right, however, this IS a  marlin with a microgroove bbl.  So then I would say, not only good group, but considering the ammo, an excellent group, looks about a 1 inch group at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Get some high velocity .22s (the Federal 550 round value paks that Wal-Mart sells are good) and see what it does.  You have a nice rifle there, my Marlin Model 60 that I got back in 1977 has shot tens of thousands of cheap rounds and is still going strong.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
did you shoot them 1 at a time, handloading them singlely, or did they work doing the semi auto thang?  Usually cb's dont work in most 22's, the bbl twise isn't right, however, this IS a  marlin with a microgroove bbl.  So then I would say, not only good group, but considering the ammo, an excellent group, looks about a 1 inch group at 50 yds.

I didnt have to hand load them.  If you mean, did I load them in with the slide/bolt open?  No. I simply loaded the chamber as usual and manually operated the bolt.  The round obviously doesnt cycle the bolt.  Manually operate it, spent round gets spit out like usual, new round loads.  Almost like an ol' bolt action.

This was more like 30-35 yards, not quite 50.  Not entirely accurate in yardage, but my best bet.  I am 6'0 tall and paced 35 large steps (as large as I could get them).  Basically, I just paced from my back door to the fence line and setup the target.  

I am interested in your comment about CB's not working in most rifles.  This concerns me, as I plan on picking up a Henry Golden Boy, or maybe the Taurus Model 60.  Any idea on these 2 rifles and CB Long's?  I don't know much about the Marlin..what exactly is the microgroove?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get some high velocity .22s (the Federal 550 round value paks that Wal-Mart sells are good) and see what it does.  You have a nice rifle there, my Marlin Model 60 that I got back in 1977 has shot tens of thousands of cheap rounds and is still going strong.

Good to hear.  I plan on taking good care of it.  It's in, I'd say, 98% condition.  Def. something I'd like to hand down to my kids when I have em some day.  I got this rifle when I was 13 (about 14 years ago), but it seems it was never around when I had an itch to shoot it.  Finally made a trip out of state to visit family and came across it.  I'd almost forgotten I even had it.  Super accurate with iron sights Ive noticed.  Nice little rifle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#5]
marlin uses microgroove technology; multiple lands and grooves, usually about 12 or 16, I can't remember, but they are all very shallow.  the thinking here is that, less bullet deformation and drag, as the bullet moves down the bbl., hence better accuracy.
 Marlins , especially the 7000's and 2000's, even the 60 and the 795, and the magnificent 880sq, can typically run with some really expensive big boys out there, as far as accuracy goes.
the cb's are usually a conical ball; not made to the greatest of specs, proly not inspected all that well, also usually not checked for the diameter, which I believe should be a 5.6.  also it is a 20 grain pill, a very short 20 grainer.  So a lot of rifles out there, just can't stabilize these little suckers.  So that is why I say that is a damn fine group, really, 40 yards, or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#6]
also most cb rounds use little or no powder, firing off of the primer only.
 so if you are inconsistent as to how the primer is made, measured, or put into the rim, or if you are using a little powder, and it is not the exact same amount from round to round, you could see how your accuracy could really be thrown off, with some of these cb rounds having their propellant being very inconsistent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it's sighted in at near perfect now.  This is 11 or 12 shots, I forget.  The bottom group was all pretty consistent when shooting directly at the bullseye. Took the windage up a few clicks and got 3 dead on and 2 out to the left of the red.  Overall, Im pretty happy with this $150 setup.  Going to make a fun backyard and plinking rifle, me thinks.

EDIT - This is actually a little closer, probably more like 25 yards, max. (25 large paces).  This was also done with the rifle resting on top of my outside air conditioning unit.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#8]
really , no really, very nice shooting, especially for cbs', normally they are inside of 30 yd type round, just so inconsistent, so great stuff you got going there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I am also very down, with the patterning on that rifles wood, tell me it's not painted to look like that, and that is actually part of the staining process,or in the grain...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:46:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am also very down, with the patterning on that rifles wood, tell me it's not painted to look like that, and that is actually part of the staining process,or in the grain...

You know, I noticed that too after posting the picture.  I think the use of a relatively cheap camera, coupled with the fact that its on my wood floor, is causing that effect.  Its definitely not that distinct in person.  It's just a regular ol' plain jane Marlin 60.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks about like the groups mine makes, I can cut the bullseyes out of that style targets with it with a $25 bsa scope @ 25 yards and cheapo wally world value packs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top