Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 9:00:56 PM EDT
My son (12) and I spent a great 2 hrs today at our hunt club with lowly single shot .22's.  We wasted away the time with a Rossi switch barrel wearing the .22, and a Savage Favorite rolling block  .22.   We set up at an old abandoned well pad (they drilled but didn't hit anything) and had 4 coconuts, a couple of old aerosol cans, and a 22 spinner.   Talk about a great day!!!  We shot and shot, and just enjoyed each others company.  No bug between us and the targets was safe!!!  Picked off quite a few velvet ants at 10 paces, took the wings off of a dragon fly.  Missed many more than we hit, but had a great time.  Burned through a goodly portion of a brick of Remington cheapo walmart hollow points.

Don't forget with all the "ultimate" this and "tactical" that, to go out and just have FUN with your kids!!

You (and your kids) will never forget it.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you had a real good time. I take out my old Savage 120 single shot from time to time too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Sound like a great way to get him started, learn to enjoy the basics and shooting itself. There will be alot of time latter to get into the tactical stuff. I started out the same way and i still enjoy the old single shots and six guns, but I love my ARs and Mechine Gun to
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you had fun with the kid! I have 3 teenage sons and they all got Cricket 22 single shots years ago. The middle boy is a natural shot and has won quite a bit of bets with my friends on his ability to hit things with his Cricket!

It is the most accurate 22 rifle I have ever shot. Maybe it is a fluke, but he is a sniper with it!

Great way to have fun and cheap now to shoot 22.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have some kind of old winchester .22 that was I think my grandpa's or something that I have to go shoot.  It's got a nice aftermarket peep sight on it.  Looks like it was for competing or something.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My 14 year old son's favorite rifle is a Remington 514. He put a claim on it as part (possibly the only part) of his inheritance.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
any pics of the rolling block? sound interesting!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
not to be a killjoy, but careful with the close range stuff!  had a buddy to loose his right eye to either piece of the bullet or debris....just take care!!  and glad you guys had fun...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]

It is a new model, like this one.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.savagearms.com/images/rimfire/30gm.jpg

It is a new model, like this one.

Doc

The first rifle I shot was one of the originals....1920s mfg. Was used as a hog gun and had very little rifling left. My dad liked it so much as a child's trainer he bought a new one (as pictured) for my brothers and I to learn.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to buy Remington 510s, 511s, 512s, and 513s at gunshows.
I would drill and tap them for Weaver mounts.

My brother TIG welded together a rear peep sight for a 510.
With a peep sight on the muzzle, I could hit a nail head at 100 feet when my eyes were young.

But now those Remingtons are more like $150 than $50, so I buy and restore other old guns, like Stevens 410 single shots.

My brother shot a Raccoon in the yard with a Remington 510 single shot on Sunday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top