Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2008 4:51:58 PM EDT
I picked this rifle up last Sunday afternoon at Wal*Mart for $178.00. I knew right away I wanted to do something different with it, but I did not want to spend $1000.00 tricking it out. I've invested too much in other weapons anyway. I wanted to keep it cheap and simple, yet make it into something different than a stock 10/22.

I looked at some of the pictures in the 10/22 picture thread, and decided to go with an old school M14 kind of look. I purchased a set of the Tech Sights for $55.00, a vented handguard and flash hider from CTD. The items arrived and I got to work.

Installing the handguard was a bear. The securing ring was too wide to slip down into the forearm. I had to hand file grooves for it to fit snugly. But, now the thing is on and its not coming off unless someone takes vice grips and a blowtorch to it. I don't really mind this fact because the vented guard does not interfere at all with field stripping and cleaning the weapon.

The Tech Sights were simple. Getting the stock FSP out was a tad rough because I did not have a drift to do it with. I love the Tech Sight, but I did not like the empty area between the front of the rear sight and the barrel shroud. I thought of something cheap and easy.

To fill the gap, I cut down the stock optic rail to about 3" with a hacksaw, finished it with a file and sandpaper, and painted the end with M-New (subdued military insignia touch-up). I then secured it to the receiver using the stock screws.

The flash hider is nice, but in order to get a good fit, I used some heat-resistant silicone caulk to slightly coat the inside of it before slipping it on. I made sure to put Loctite on the set screw before tightening it down.

I am going to be adding an extended mag release, an extended bolt handle, a new bolt release, sling swivels, and a leather sling in the coming weeks.

I wanted to keep it cheap, make it unique, and have it able to function as a good training platform for larger rifles. I must say I am happy with the results as well as the expense - this whole rifle set me back under $300.00!

The look I was going for...

Link Posted: 1/19/2008 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry dude, I think  THIS GUY did a much more credible job making a M1 Carbine.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow. That guy really put alot of time and effort into that M1 look-a-like. His carpentry skills are admirable. He should look into selling a kit. He would make a fortune.

I have a few more things to get my 10/22 more M14 looking. But that will come when I come up with a little more budget for it. If I would have had an extra $350.00 laying around, I would have Krinker-Plinker'd it. But, as I have a GSG-5 on pre-order, I did not want to go too far out of pocket.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I am afraid to say that this 10/22 makeup job is the best.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn. That is a really realistic job. That's definately one of the most impressive 10/22s I have seen yet. It's almost unbelievable - only the bolt gives it away. If I had a wood shop and a CNC machine, I could have a field day. These guys really need to market some of these as kits. I guess that would be counterproductive to having a unique 10/22 though...

I've seen 9mm M11/PM11 variants that feed off drum mags that are made to look like Thompsons, but I have to ask, how does that .22 actually function off that drum?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, I am afraid to say that this 10/22 makeup job is the best.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Muzzleblast/TommyDrum11.jpg

That's cool.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I picked this rifle up last Sunday afternoon at Wal*Mart for $178.00. I knew right away I wanted to do something different with it, but I did not want to spend $1000.00 tricking it out. I've invested too much in other weapons anyway. I wanted to keep it cheap and simple, yet make it into something different than a stock 10/22.

I looked at some of the pictures in the 10/22 picture thread, and decided to go with an old school M14 kind of look. I purchased a set of the Tech Sights for $55.00, a vented handguard and flash hider from CTD. The items arrived and I got to work.

Installing the handguard was a bear. The securing ring was too wide to slip down into the forearm. I had to hand file grooves for it to fit snugly. But, now the thing is on and its not coming off unless someone takes vice grips and a blowtorch to it. I don't really mind this fact because the vented guard does not interfere at all with field stripping and cleaning the weapon.

The Tech Sights were simple. Getting the stock FSP out was a tad rough because I did not have a drift to do it with. I love the Tech Sight, but I did not like the empty area between the front of the rear sight and the barrel shroud. I thought of something cheap and easy.

To fill the gap, I cut down the stock optic rail to about 3" with a hacksaw, finished it with a file and sandpaper, and painted the end with M-New (subdued military insignia touch-up). I then secured it to the receiver using the stock screws.

The flash hider is nice, but in order to get a good fit, I used some heat-resistant silicone caulk to slightly coat the inside of it before slipping it on. I made sure to put Loctite on the set screw before tightening it down.

I am going to be adding an extended mag release, an extended bolt handle, a new bolt release, sling swivels, and a leather sling in the coming weeks.

I wanted to keep it cheap, make it unique, and have it able to function as a good training platform for larger rifles. I must say I am happy with the results as well as the expense - this whole rifle set me back under $300.00!

i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/odingaard/My%20Armory%20Pictures/1022a.jpg

i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/odingaard/Misc%20Pictures/M14.jpg

I personally think you did a grat job!

Be proud of what you did!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/odingaard/My%20Armory%20Pictures/1022a.jpg

i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/odingaard/Misc%20Pictures/M14.jpg

Looks great...
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]

I must say I am happy with the results
And this is all that matters. FWIW, I like the way it looks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]

nice looking rifle.  how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

nice looking rifle.  how does it shoot?

It shoots great. The TSR100 sights are far more accurate than the irons. I was suprised at the improvement. No real burps yet using Butler Creek mags, but the Eagle mags someone gave me were so bad I tossed them. I definately need to invest in the extended mag and slide releases just to improve ease of use. All in all, I like it and it looks somewhat different from the other 10/22s at the range.

Thanks for the other complements!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top