Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 1:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info everyone.  I'll be picking up a 10/22 very soon, as the ammo prices for my AR and SKS really add up a lot faster than I'd like.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#8]
My 10/22

Deathdealer
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:09:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric10mm] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Appleseed is good for learning to be a good shot from a static position.

That is all.

I'm glad my DI didn't run me through drills of slinging up in a rifle before I was sent to the sandbox.

Appleseed is NOT a good real world training device. It's a good intro for new shooters , but not something I'd train on expecting to effective in combat.

I'd run myself through an Appleseed course as a good intro to high-power competitions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mubah:

That is all.

I'm glad my DI didn't run me through drills of slinging up in a rifle before I was sent to the sandbox.

Appleseed is NOT a good real world training device. It's a good intro for new shooters , but not something I'd train on expecting to effective in combat.

I'd run myself through an Appleseed course as a good intro to high-power competitions.

Some people tend to think that it IS "real world training" but that's on them as the program is not presented that way.....Those folks need to attend some tactical training courses and they will soon see the difference. But, that's not an Appleseed issue, what they do, they do better than anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I attended my first appleseed last weekend.  I was 13 points shy of rifleman, but not bad for my first time with any rifle training ever.  I need a taller front sight post for my tech sights however.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 5:51:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paz-man] [#13]
I couldn't trust myself with a 10/22 because there are just too many aftermarket parts for it .... . so I got a Marlin 795 instead.  Like the 10/22 it has a detachable 10 round mag and is really almost too light, it feels like a BB gun.  Maybe I should look into getting a wood stock for it?  Last year I shot my first Appleseed and just missed qualifying as a "Rifleman".  I can also say that I haven't had any formal military trainiing on a rifle platform and I saw a marked inprovement from my first target to the last one I shot ( I was Navy and all I ever shot was a pistol ).  
 I painted the plastic stock with spray-on truck bed liner and then added the Tech Sights with a Tapco front sight post, a GI sling along with a matching M1 mag pouch and just for fun I added the flash hider, it really helps with the recoil      

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]

That is all.

There is a whole lot of dumb ass in that post but this IS the internet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By eric10mm:

Originally Posted By HighLighter:

That is all.

There is a whole lot of dumb ass in that post but this IS the internet.
I'm betting some jealousy and inability are in the mix as well.  

+1

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I use the 10 round eagle magazine's also, they work well!! Only thing is, is that I can't find them anywhere except on Ebay...where did you buy your Eagle 10 round magazine's?  I live in NJ...15 round max....
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 4:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#19]
Santa was good to me this year and I installed Tech Sights on my 10-22 on Christmas day and just received and installed the Hogue stock.  All I can say is "HOLY SHIT!!!".    The hogue stock and tech sights totally transform the balance and the sight picture of the rifle!  Can't wait to shoot it.  Up next will be bolt work, trigger work, and some small parts replacement.  I didn't think I would want extended releases until I handled the rifle with the tech sights installed.  They actually make it harder to reach the factory controls so I now understand why so many people replace those.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a step closer on my LTR.  I'm waiting on my Tech Sights, and a few other things from Brownell's, I tackled sling loops today.  I used two M16/AR15 front sling swivels, and 1/8" roll pins.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lancelot:

That looks great.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

+1
Great Idea. I may try it with my take down 10/22
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I want to piece together an LTR from parts I have on-hand.  I recently picked up a TM railed receiver for my current scoped 10/22, so most of the parts from my original 1980 vintage 10/22 carbine are available - barrel, receiver, stock, bolt and trigger group.

I never liked the original Ruger carbine stock, they just don't fit me.  I could recontour the original stock, but I'm thinking a Hogue 22100 might be the way to go - I've heard this version without the rubber overmolding is more rigid than the more commonly found rubberized Hogue models, so it would do better under slinging stress.  Recontouring the original would be cheaper, though.

I think I have three options for sights:

1. Tech Sight 100s.  These seem to be the most common ones out there and are economical.

2. Harlan's NDS-26 rear and NDS-40 front.  I like the Nodak stuff I already own, and these are USA made.  I really don't need the rail, but it doesn't hurt anything to have it.  Costs more than Tech Sights, but looks like a nicer design.

3. EABCO's M1 Carbine style sights.  I don't think I like the unguarded rear aperture on these, and I can't find good photos of the windage adjustment.

Have any of you had both Tech Sight and NDS sights?   I'm leaning hard to the Nodaks.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#24]
After pricing the parts I would need to get to reconstitute my old carbine, I decided instead to just get a new rifle as a basis for an LTR.

New 1149 on the way; Tech-sights already here.  I'll pick up a set of UM QDs next time I'm out (the Rugers are fixed).

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
The 10-22 is the pimpmaster chameleon of firearms. Want a Thompson $500 and a little time no problem. Want a precision competition piece parts are a phone call or two away. Practical/Tactical/Plinker they are all just a few easily swapped parts away.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:31:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#26]
Last weekend I went shooting with a friend and brought my Ruger 22/45 out to play.  I forgot how much fun .22 shooting is with the ammo panic, and I also realized just how rusty I am after reviewing my targets.  They don't lie and I know my firearms are fine- the problem is me.  

Today I ordered a 10/22 to get myself back in order.  I read the suggestions about not going too crazy with aftermarket mods; makes good sense.

Factory Options:

10/22 takedown: Easier to tote around with me versus a non-takedown model in an obvious and full size gun case.
Stainless:  Makes cleaning easier and I'm less likely to have rust problems.
Factory threaded barrel:  Using my suppressor is the difference between not bothering the neighbors and not being able to shoot at all.  

For the curious, a SS 10/22 takedown "tactical" is an exclusive to Davidsons.  "Tactical" means it has a threaded barrel, a flash hider as a thread protector, and a factory 25-round mag.  The stock is standard polymer with no wacky pistol grips or folding assemblies.    You can see it here, and for the record I'm not associated with or paid by Davidsons.

Aftermarket Options:

Tech Sights TSR-200 and adjustment tool:  Recommended throughout this thread as being the best irons and similar to most full size military rifles out there.
Buffer Technologies Buffer:  The suppressor increases bolt blow back against the existing factory steel bolt pin.  This is to cushion that blow and preserve the receiver against those stronger hits.
Spare mags:  Found a deal from a good friend who is getting rid of some spare used ones.

Perhaps I'll do an aftermarket bolt and mag release down the road.  I don't see the need at this time.

Questions:

Sling and swivels:  I'd like quick-detach mounts so I can properly take down the rifle for transport.  Any recommendations for the sling and for swivels?
Distance:   The max distance at most ranges around here is 75 feet, which is shy of 25.0 meters at 22.86 meters.  Informal places to shoot aren't always available or require long (2+ hours one way) drives.  Formal outdoor ranges in these parts all but require blood samples to join and another pound of flesh in money and volunteer time.  How bad will practicing at 22.86 meters versus 25 meters screw up my practice, and how should I adjust my practice to reflect that shortfall?
Ammo:  Anybody know where I can find some at pre-panic prices?  

Thanks!

Mike
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I just put together a 10/22 for taking my girlfriend and myself to an Appleseed when we an arrange time together away from work when one comes to town.

I bought the Ruger 10/22 Collector's Series 2nd Edition, which came with military style sights, American style plastic stock with the adjustable length and rise pieces. I added a green GI sling, swivels, and beveled the opening to the magazine well a little and sanded the inside of the stock since the mags were fitting really, really tight out of the box. I swapped out the charging handle for a nicer one I had lying around, and put in my Kidd single stage trigger. First time on the range getting it sighted in, i decided the factory sights had to go. Terrible adjustments on the rear, and I really just didn't like the aperture on the rear of the factory sights. Replaced with Nodak  NDS26 rear, and NDS40 front. Holy balls, what an improvement. I vacillated over the choice between the Nodak sights and Tech sights. I went with the Nodak after reading about some of the Tech Sights not being just right out of the box, and the whole Made in USA thing. I also like the looks of the rear sight better with the way it fits on the receiver.

I took it out today, rolled out my shooting matt, and went to town on the 25 yard range at my club. There was a guy shooting his AR with his lady friend when I got there. His lady started giggling something about how my little gun was cute, but needed a scope like the AR she was shooting with. At 25 yards. Her man saw me getting the sling up on my arm, and getting down on the matt, and he told her to watch. Trying to get my sights adjusted after the fresh install, I was off the target low, and the lady was chuckling. "He aint hit sheeeeeit." she said. I laughed and told her I was plenty close enough to hear her. "I'm right here lady, and my hearing is just fine." It was pretty good natured and we went back and forth a bit while I adjusted my sights. I fired another magazine, and was still a bit low. Had a stovepipe from the Norma TAC22 ammo, but it printed a nice group a little more than one inch. She went on topoint out that I still didn't hit the bullseye. Her man saw the group and explained group sizes and adjustable sights to her as I adjusted again. The next magazine had her wanting to learn to shoot open sights, and her man agreeing that she should. I let her fire a couple of magazines, and she was singing a much different tune when she was done, and wanted shoot the scoped AR again to boost her marksmanship esteem back up a bit. I talked to the dude a bit, and told him about the Appleseed shoots. I've never been to one, and I've been itching to do it, and I think these fine folks are going to get to one before me.

Anyway, back to the rifle......It shoots pretty good, but I need to work on my open sight shooting some. An inch or a little more isn't great at that distance, but I'm sure I can tighten that up a bit with some work. The rifle likes the Norma ammo, which is nice because it's the same stuff as the Geco rifle ammo that my CZ loves, and I've got more than a full case of that stuff. It also liked the SK Standard+ about the same, which I have nearly a full case of. I did have a couple other stovepipes with both flavors of ammo, so I may look into a reduced power recoil spring since I'm only shooting standard velocity stuff. My first day out with the original sights, it didn't care at all for the HV bulk federal stuff. It was OK with the cheap Automatch from Federal, but nothing like it was with the standard velocity stuff, which isn't really surprising.

Anyway, TLDR; Nodak sights rock, gun's a keeper, made new friends.

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Just picked up a 10/22 Carbine #1151.
I have a feeling this is all I’ll be shooting for a while. Really don’t feel like burning through all my 556/223 with ammo prices the way they are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#30]
Originally Posted By revrat:
I just put together a 10/22 for taking my girlfriend and myself to an Appleseed when we an arrange time together away from work when one comes to town.

I bought the Ruger 10/22 Collector's Series 2nd Edition, which came with military style sights, American style plastic stock with the adjustable length and rise pieces. I added a green GI sling, swivels, and beveled the opening to the magazine well a little and sanded the inside of the stock since the mags were fitting really, really tight out of the box. I swapped out the charging handle for a nicer one I had lying around, and put in my Kidd single stage trigger. First time on the range getting it sighted in, i decided the factory sights had to go. Terrible adjustments on the rear, and I really just didn't like the aperture on the rear of the factory sights. Replaced with Nodak  NDS26 rear, and NDS40 front. Holy balls, what an improvement. I vacillated over the choice between the Nodak sights and Tech sights. I went with the Nodak after reading about some of the Tech Sights not being just right out of the box, and the whole Made in USA thing. I also like the looks of the rear sight better with the way it fits on the receiver.

I took it out today, rolled out my shooting matt, and went to town on the 25 yard range at my club. There was a guy shooting his AR with his lady friend when I got there. His lady started giggling something about how my little gun was cute, but needed a scope like the AR she was shooting with. At 25 yards. Her man saw me getting the sling up on my arm, and getting down on the matt, and he told her to watch. Trying to get my sights adjusted after the fresh install, I was off the target low, and the lady was chuckling. "He aint hit sheeeeeit." she said. I laughed and told her I was plenty close enough to hear her. "I'm right here lady, and my hearing is just fine." It was pretty good natured and we went back and forth a bit while I adjusted my sights. I fired another magazine, and was still a bit low. Had a stovepipe from the Norma TAC22 ammo, but it printed a nice group a little more than one inch. She went on topoint out that I still didn't hit the bullseye. Her man saw the group and explained group sizes and adjustable sights to her as I adjusted again. The next magazine had her wanting to learn to shoot open sights, and her man agreeing that she should. I let her fire a couple of magazines, and she was singing a much different tune when she was done, and wanted shoot the scoped AR again to boost her marksmanship esteem back up a bit. I talked to the dude a bit, and told him about the Appleseed shoots. I've never been to one, and I've been itching to do it, and I think these fine folks are going to get to one before me.

Anyway, back to the rifle......It shoots pretty good, but I need to work on my open sight shooting some. An inch or a little more isn't great at that distance, but I'm sure I can tighten that up a bit with some work. The rifle likes the Norma ammo, which is nice because it's the same stuff as the Geco rifle ammo that my CZ loves, and I've got more than a full case of that stuff. It also liked the SK Standard+ about the same, which I have nearly a full case of. I did have a couple other stovepipes with both flavors of ammo, so I may look into a reduced power recoil spring since I'm only shooting standard velocity stuff. My first day out with the original sights, it didn't care at all for the HV bulk federal stuff. It was OK with the cheap Automatch from Federal, but nothing like it was with the standard velocity stuff, which isn't really surprising.

Anyway, TLDR; Nodak sights rock, gun's a keeper, made new friends.

View Quote
If I may, some suggestions:

1) Experiment with sling tension.  Not sure how rigid the 10-22 fore-end might be, and a lighter-tension sling might be more "repeatable", so to speak, and still be of benefit.

2) From personal experience, the 10-22 can get pretty dirty inside, and needs to be cleaned more often than I originally thought for optimal reliability--not so much the bore, but the chamber, bolt, and the receiver, especially where the bolt rides.  Suggest that after breaking-in, take it apart and look for wear marks.  Polish them out to reduce dirt collection/drag points.  Also, in addition to evaluating ammo for accuracy, consider also evaluating ammo for its' "cleanliness".  The less crap inside your rifle, the better, all other things being equal.

3) Mags also get dirty inside.  Have a plan to dismantle, clean, and re-assemble your mags.  Practice this ahead of time, as it can be a little tricky at first.

4) It might be possible to buy a TechSights Item #TS220 ELEVATION ADJUSTABLE APERTURE ASSEMBLY, AND a Techsights "Insert Ready Aperture System",  and retrofit them to your Nodak rear sight.   This last item is a special rear sight aperture/post which installs into the abovementioned rear sight assy, and allows the user to use much smaller rear sight apertures, while still using the adjustable aperture-free rear sight post as a decent field sight.  Installing the "IRAS" requires the aforementioned Adjustable Aperture Assy.   https://www.tech-sights.com/product/insert-ready-aperature-system-tech-sights-200-series/.  Like I said, not sure it will fit, but might be worth a look.  FWIW, I have this rig on order.

Anyways, glad you had a good time, and all the best!  @revrat
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#31]
OP forgot to write "The End" after finishing his novel.

TLDR
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

TLDR
View Quote
Eh, wasn't that long, and at least decently-written, and entertaining.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By raf:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raf:
Originally Posted By wildearp:

TLDR

Not too long at all. Thanks to @raf for posting this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#34]
TYVM.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top