Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2007 9:40:29 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am getting back into 22’s and just purchased a factory blued 10 22. I was debating making it a semi bench gun or putting all the pieces needed to assemble it as a target model or a factory gun in one case. I am going to pick up a Butler Creek stock this weekend with the stock cut for a .920 barrels  and  need some input on a good barrel to put on it. I am trying to keep this build cheap and figured 100-150 for a barrel but seem to be stuck on three brands, Butler Creek, Green Mountain, and I think I saw one called Clerke? I would like to have a 20" barrel and that has eliminated some brands. Any info would be of great help thanks.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 3:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I would go with the Green Mountain for quality and price. Butler Creek would be on the bottom of the list.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I asked a similar question and got a similar answer, Green Mountain over the other 2 that you listed.

I have an 18" fluted on the way that I bought used for $75 shipped, you should check the classifieds for a good deal if you really want to keep your build on the low low money wise!
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
About 7 years ago I bought a stainless barrel and stock combo from Midway for my 10/22. I have no idea who made their barrel but the combo was about $125. Hell that was cheap even back then.

With CCI Green Tag I get about an inch or so at 100 yards for 5 shots. It doesn't suck.
I put a Vorquestin (spell help) trigger unit and a Leupold 6.5-20x40 scope on it, it is a lot of fun.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#4]
GM
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Chock up yet another vote for the Green Mountain barrels.  Of course, if the thought of a huge chunk of steel out there weighing you down is an issue, you could go with the Tactical Solutions aluminum barrel (steel insert for the lands and grooves, of course) or the Whistle Pig (similar design).  Both have the rep of being accurate barrels.  Of course, if you want the best place to find out anything about the 10/22, take a look at Rimfire Central.  There's a ton of information over there!

Woody
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Guys, looked through that website and found  place where i can get a blued 20" GM fluted barrel shipped for $118, also got a message about a group buy on some 17" aluminum barrels that was in the runnig untill i seen they were 17" long. I do not know what it is but i am against pulling off a 18.5" and putting on a shorter barrel. I know these are target barrels but i still think i will be losing some velocity going shorter.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]
         I seem to remember the often mentioned length for higest velocity in a rimfire to generally be 16".
         You will likely find that the standard velocity target ammo will give much beter accuracy.
        I believe ELEY has some high velocity loads that are designed around better accuracy. Of course ELEY costs but some find it worth the price.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Where's the best place to get a Green Mountain barrel?  I'm in the midst of playing "pimp my 10/22", so that's the first item.....
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like my TacSol fluted barrel. If you want a light wieght combo thats the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
My 1022 has a Boyds blaster stock, 20 inch stainless fluted GM barrel, Hornet trigger group, Skeeter charging handle and mag release, a WeaponKraft bolt buffer, and a Mueller APV scope. I can shoot 1/4 in groups at 50 yds and 1" groups at 100 with cci minimag shells. I ordered all my stuff from Hornet products, and Hawktech arms.
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My 1022 has a Boyds blaster stock, 20 inch stainless fluted GM barrel, Hornet trigger group, Skeeter charging handle and mag release, a WeaponKraft bolt buffer, and a Mueller APV scope. I can shoot 1/4 in groups at 50 yds and 1" groups at 100 with cci minimag shells. I ordered all my stuff from Hornet products, and Hawktech arms.

Gotta love those Mueller scopes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I am also voting for the GM out of the 3 with the butler creek the last on every list.

If you are going light weight, the tactical solutions are great hunting barrels but not at the accuracy level as a GM or other heavy target barrel. I am going to buy an Alumalite barrel for my next build. They have a great reputation for being accurate. My next build will be based on it.

You will not loose any accuracy or velocity with the 17" barrel as opposed to the 18". Infact, the velocity may be faster in the shorter barrel.

I have one Adams & Bennet barrel combo with Fajen stock. It shoots groups in the .250 ctc range quite regularly  with at least one .100" range group on almost every outting. The tightest being .097" @ 50 yds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I really like my TacSol fluted barrel. If you want a light wieght combo thats the way to go.

Problem With Tac-Sol though is that they use sporter chambers and aren't as accurate as Green Mountain, Alumalite, Magnum Research, Volquartsen or the other manufacturers that use bentz chambers. Tac-Sols are priced to sell though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Where's the best place to get a Green Mountain barrel?  I'm in the midst of playing "pimp my 10/22", so that's the first item.....

Here is where I got mine.  It was the lowest price on GM barrels I could find at the time.  They are also a RFC sponsor.
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the feedback, I am in my final stages of either purchasing a Alum-lite or a Gm 20", i still do not like going with a shorter barrel. I was wanting to make this as similar to a 700pss as possible. So right now i am leaning back twards a 20" GM. Now for a new question, i have a 3.5x10x50 WTC scope i am going to put on this rifle for now and was wanting to know what base and rings i will need. If I need higher rings or will one of the see-through bases work?
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#16]
The see thru mounts are always too high for a proper cheek weld and they really don't inspire confidence that they are truely rigid. I would advise getting high or extra high rings because of the major increase in stability and better scope position. I also changed out to a weaver rail that widens the rail and makes for better rigidity.

You will loose no speed (dependent on the quality of the barrel) and no accuracy with a slightly shorter barrel. Barrel length has no bearing on accuracy at all. It is more about what you like and the weight requirements than actual functionality. Buy what makes you happy!
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#17]
ok got the TO_9 base with High Leupold rings. That let my WTC clear the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Rimfire Sports & Custom has great prices on .22 stuff plus free delivery
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]
GM for the bbl. for sure!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top