Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2006 1:25:51 PM EDT
I don't want to remove the barrel for cleaning, and my boresnake can only do so much, so I was thinking about picking up one of these.  It replaces the magazine and blocks the bolt face (which is held open) so you can clean from the muzzle without hurting the action.  Of course, I would use a muzzle protector or coated Dewey rod.

Are there any methods for giving my bore a good cleaning other than removing the barrel or removing the bolt?  I can't manage to drift the buffer pin out, so I thought this product would be a good buy.  What say you?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't putting a piece of cardboard in it while the bolt is locked open have the same effect?..
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
that little gadget is a waste of money

i would take rear pin out of the reciever and replace it with a bolt buffer. over time (20,000 rds+)  the steel pin will actually egg out that hole in the aluminum

alot of people drill a .30" hole in the back of the reciever in line with the bore that lets you clean from the rear with a rod and brush. for quick cleaning a boresnake works fine for 22lr
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Did it stop working?
Cleaning a 10-22 that still runs is nearly un-American.
YMMV,
Pete
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
mine never stopped working, but i do mamange to lead the bbl up with wax coated bullets and 25rd magazines
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
is there any chance of the bore rusting due to not cleaning it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I just use my OTIS 5.56 cleaning kit on my 10/22.  It's the same cleaning kit I use on all of my guns.  It even came with a short OTIS cable that is great for pistols.    

Removing the bolt is not hard to do...getting it back in sometimes sucks though.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't want to remove the barrel for cleaning, and my boresnake can only do so much, so I was thinking about picking up one of these.  It replaces the magazine and blocks the bolt face (which is held open) so you can clean from the muzzle without hurting the action.  Of course, I would use a muzzle protector or coated Dewey rod.

Are there any methods for giving my bore a good cleaning other than removing the barrel or removing the bolt? I can't manage to drift the buffer pin out, so I thought this product would be a good buy.  What say you?

You have to get that out. You can't clean the action if you don't. They can be difficult. Buy a new plastic buffer, then after you get it, Beat that sucker out and throw it away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top