Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 6:07:38 PM EDT
Hey all I have 3 of the hot lip mags (well one of them is a promag and the other two are butler creeks). One of the butler creeks runs without a hitch. The other 2 (one promag and one butler creek) are hit and miss. I think that out of the two that are giving me problems the butler creek is the worse. I have in the past kept them all fully loaded for about a month before I used them (it was winter time and it was frecking cold). Once I started to use them I'd say that the first 10 - 15 rounds was the worst.

I'd load the mag up, put it in the gun and rack the bolt, fire (which it did), and then have to rack the bolt to eject the spent case and pull the trigger again and repeat until the first 10 - 15 rounds were fired. Once there was only 10 - 15 rounds left in the mag it would start running like a champ (just like the good butler creek mag I have). 10 round factory mags run great, as well as NO problems whatsoever with the one good butler creek mag that I have. So I really do think that it is the mags and not the gun.

I clean this little bastard real good after every range session so I dont think that the gun being dirty is the problem either. So is there anything that I can do to get these mags running like a champ or are they just lemons. I'd say that I have between the two problem mags about 200 - 300 rounds total through them thus far. So is it possible that they still are not broken in yet? Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a chronic problem with the BC mags. We have found the best way to cure a hotlips is to fire around 500-1000 rounds through it with just 15 rounds or so then bump up the capacity as it starts to work better.

Some just will not work with all 25 rounds in there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That is a chronic problem with the BC mags. We have found the best way to cure a hotlips is to fire around 500-1000 rounds through it with just 15 rounds or so then bump up the capacity as it starts to work better.

Some just will not work with all 25 rounds in there.

-To be honest and no disrespect intended but I always hear nothing but praise from folks around here about the butler creek mags?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
We go through around 20 per week when we can get them, so we see more of them than most.

We have box loads of all the different mags so know a bit about them all.

EDITED to add that we consider them the best as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We go through around 20 per week when we can get them, so we see more of them than most.

We have box loads of all the different mags so know a bit about them all.

EDITED to add that we consider them the best as well.

What do you guys think about the steel lips Butler Creek mags?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top