Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 5:55:22 PM EDT
I love to shoot my Ruger 10/22. Its a nice well built gun that can provide hours of fun at a fraction of the cost compaired to other rifles. You can slap TAPCO products on it and build it up like the infamous erector set of the past. BUT I HATE cleaning that little bastard with the passion. I'd rather be stuck in a room for an hour with my mother in law than to have to clean that damn thing.

Please, oh pretty please with sugar on top share your secrets and short cuts on cleaning this little booger. Pics will help. Hell I dont care how simple or stupid it may sound. As we all know some little tinkering here and there can save alot of time and headaches on cleaning. The one that comes to my mind is having someone drill a hole in the back of the receaver so you can clean the gun from the bore end without haveing to take the barrel off of the reciever. So guys do tell.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
A can of brake cleaner and a bore snake.  It does fine for those in between cleanings.   I still rip it apart every so often but the snake and spray will keep it running,
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto.  Brake cleaner is king.

The best gun invention in the past 10 years is the bore snake.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You are removing the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
+ 1 for Brake Kleen, Break Free and Bore Snake.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The one that comes to my mind is having someone drill a hole in the back of the receaver so you can clean the gun from the bore end without haveing to take the barrel off of the reciever.

Or you can use an Otis cable.  

The only "hard" part about cleaning these is putting the bolt & op rod back togather.  
Compressing the spring and getting the handle to fall in the notch can be a bitch.

Other than that, everything is right there.  How is it hard to clean?  
You shouldnt have to clean the barrel very often anyways...maybe the chamber face though.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#6]
www.gunk.com/prod_photo.asp?img=LG_L212.jpg

Wife: What's that smell?

Me:  Liquid Wrench honey.......

Wife: What are you doing with that in the house?

Me:  Cleaning my guns honey.......

Wife: You need to do that outside, the whole house smells like that stuff.

Me:  Ok honey, next time.

ETA: I clean every gun I own with this, rifles, pistols, shotguns, you name it... I really do not use much 'gun oil' on anything, and had no problems with this stuff.  Fairly Cheap too. The red straw helps to get into those hard to reach spots and you can just blast crap out of there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't aware it was possible to clean a 10/22.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top