Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2006 10:23:03 AM EDT
You can buy a modified bolt stop for about $12 online plus shipping/tax etc.....but this is a lot cheaper, if you know how to disassemble the triger group/assembley on a 10/22 you can do this...  

www.alpharubicon.com/leo/fixermod.htm

This makes it a lot easier to close the bolt......

This aslo has pretty helpful info.......

www.alpharubicon.com/leo/triggerruger1022(two).htm

Link Posted: 8/13/2006 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I did that, it's really easy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
check out rimfirecentral.com

there are lots of different tips & tricks and diy over there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can buy a modified bolt stop for about $12 online plus shipping/tax etc.....but this is a lot cheaper, if you know how to disassemble the triger group/assembley on a 10/22 you can do this...  

That 2nd link is wrong about the saftey.  It can be taken out and installed the other way for a lefty.  But they are correct about it being a PITA to put back in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That 2nd link is wrong about the saftey.  It can be taken out and installed the other way for a lefty.  But they are correct about it being a PITA to put back in.

Thanks Kevinski, I am not too familiar with all the inside workings of a 10/22 and this link helped me alot.  I am the guy that always loses a spring, pin, or something while it is all torn down....

Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Working in a giant ziploc bags helps to keep those flying parts in a smaller area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Really easy mod, been there done that, cheaper than buying VQ part.  And drilled and tapped the mag release and fitted a short length a steel rod to make extended mag release.  Makes for quick mag changes shooting mini rifle comps at my gun club here in UK.  h
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 3:24:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Really easy mod, been there done that, cheaper than buying VQ part.  And drilled and tapped the mag release and fitted a short length a steel rod to make extended mag release.  Makes for quick mag changes shooting mini rifle comps at my gun club here in UK.  

ETA  yeah I know I'm a cheapskate

Not trying to hijack the thread, but: BPW, please tell me more about your mini-rifle comps.  We were thinking about doing a similar thing at our club on some of the IPSC pistol ranges.  Do you have some kind of a national UK standard or set of rules we could adopt?  Any info on types of targets, courses of fire, time required, equipment required etc. would be appreciated.  Many new shooters at our club get into action-pistol shoooting because they think rifle shooting is boring, trying to change that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Really easy mod, been there done that, cheaper than buying VQ part. And drilled and tapped the mag release and fitted a short length a steel rod to make extended mag release.  Makes for quick mag changes shooting mini rifle comps at my gun club here in UK.  

Pitcures?  Sounds like an idea to look into.  Cheapskate......haha  I am so tight I'll climb over a gate to keep the hinges from wearing out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Really easy mod, been there done that, cheaper than buying VQ part.  And drilled and tapped the mag release and fitted a short length a steel rod to make extended mag release.  Makes for quick mag changes shooting mini rifle comps at my gun club here in UK.  h

Not trying to hijack the thread, but: BPW, please tell me more about your mini-rifle comps.  We were thinking about doing a similar thing at our club on some of the IPSC pistol ranges.  Do you have some kind of a national UK standard or set of rules we could adopt?  Any info on types of targets, courses of fire, time required, equipment required etc. would be appreciated.  Many new shooters at our club get into action-pistol shoooting because they think rifle shooting is boring, trying to change that.

Hi Monkey man.  it's just an informal thing we do at our gun club every month.  I think there are national rules but we don't use them!!  Most of use 10/22's with a few V22's, BC 30 rd mags, no limit on rounds.  Cof a bit like practical pistol (pistol's now banned in UKhootingScore comstocked on time, sorry don't know howh.gif

how does that sound?  it's good fun especially when the local hot shot screws up, you know 10/22's like to misfeed when you are under pressure.  Cof only takes 30 - 50 secs if you hit everything first time, nothing jams and you have enough magsAs I said pistols banned here in UK so we had to adapt pistol type comps and shoot with .22 semi auto's or pistol calibre lever actions.    
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k23/buspass223/magrelease1.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k23/buspass223/magrelease2.jpg

pictures as requested, chicken killer, the mag release is alloy, easy to drill, you could just epoxy in the rod.  cheap and cheerful mod
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]
The bolt stop is one thing I never changed.  
I can pull the bolt back and lock or unlock with one hand, easily.
I don't know how people have such a hard time with it, that they have to change it.  
<shrug>
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

pictures as requested, chicken killer, the mag release is alloy, easy to drill, you could just epoxy in the rod.  cheap and cheerful mod

Bus +359 cool points for you man, I am going to do that bro.  Thanks for the pict.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The bolt stop is one thing I never changed.  
I can pull the bolt back and lock or unlock with one hand, easily.
I don't know how people have such a hard time with it, that they have to change it.  
<shrug>

Because the factory set up is stupid, it takes about 15 min. to fix and it makes life easier.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but: BPW, please tell me more about your mini-rifle comps.  We were thinking about doing a similar thing at our club on some of the IPSC pistol ranges.  Do you have some kind of a national UK standard or set of rules we could adopt?  Any info on types of targets, courses of fire, time required, equipment required etc. would be appreciated.  Many new shooters at our club get into action-pistol shoooting because they think rifle shooting is boring, trying to change that./quote]

Hi Monkey-man a couple pictures of a mini rifle comp today on the range.  The targets are the brown coffin shaped things http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k23/buspass223/minirifle1.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k23/buspass223/minirfle2.jpg

And no it's not me shooting
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Your rod looks a lot like a 16 penny nail with the ends cut off?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

pictures as requested, chicken killer, the mag release is alloy, easy to drill, you could just epoxy in the rod.  cheap and cheerful modh

No it's a length of silver steel rod, late father was an engineer and I inherited odds & sods of steel bar and rod.  Try your local engineering shop? But I suppose an alloy rod would do or even the nail.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your rod looks a lot like a 16 penny nail with the ends cut off?

No it's a length of silver steel rod, late father was an engineer and I inherited odds & sods of steel bar and rod.  Try your local engineering shop? But I suppose an alloy rod would do or even the nail.  

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Really easy mod, been there done that, cheaper than buying VQ part.  And drilled and tapped the mag release and fitted a short length a steel rod to make extended mag release.  Makes for quick mag changes shooting mini rifle comps at my gun club here in UK.  

GRRRREAT idea!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top