Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 10:45:11 AM EDT
I really like my Evolution stock, but one thing that bothers me is the gap behind the pistol grip at the rear of the stock.  I understand it's necessary to the design so that any type of AR stock will fit on the Evo, but it's just plain ugly.  I thought of a grip that might cover that unsightly gap.

Before the mod, with a standard A2 grip:

If you're familiar with Ergo grips, you know that they have an "integral rear upper extension" (per Falcon Industries) that fits over the bottom rear of an AR lower receiver.  I removed some material from the top of an Ergo grip so that it fits on an Evo stock.  I chose the rigid polymer version rather than the rubber overmolded grip, thinking the plastic would be easier to work with and look better after the mod.  Also, it's the cheaper of the two, and I didn't want to potentially destroy a perfectly good grip.  I used the cylindrical orange-colored grinder on my Dremel, working slowly and checking the fit often.

Unfortunately, after attaching the grip, there still remained a small "hole".  The curved tail of the Ergo did not cover the gap completely.  I cut a section from a rubber hose, cut about a quarter from it and pressed it onto the back of the Evolution.  Then I reinstalled the grip.  That will do until I find something better, preferrably made of black plastic like the Ergo.

After:

Yes, maybe it's still ugly, but it's definitely better than before.  More importantly, it's much more comfortable.  The thicker (front to back) Ergo puts my trigger finger in a better spot, and the curved tail keeps my hand from sliding up and hitting the back of the Evo.

I suppose you could do the same with a Fobus grip.  Even a Magpul MIAD with the large backstrap might work.  It actually might be a better solution since only the removable backstrap would be Dremeled (I think).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
nice work.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
HEY GUYS I NEED HELP WITH MY STOCK! everything is fine i just need to know what to do about my scope. i got the stock today and havent even began to put the action in, that will be tomrow. but what type of raiser should i get becuase just puting my cheek on the stock i know i will need probably a larger one becuase the stock is so hi. SO HELP WITH MY SCOPE PROBLEMS!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, after attaching the grip, there still remained a small "hole".  The curved tail of the Ergo did not cover the gap completely.  I cut a section from a rubber hose, cut about a quarter from it and pressed it onto the back of the Evolution.  Then I reinstalled the grip.  That will do until I find something better, preferrably made of black plastic like the Ergo.

Nice work w/ the dremel.      

To fill in the remaining gap you could use black RTV silicone...it comes in a black tube found at any auto parts store.  Fill the gap with the silicone and let it fully dry/harden.  

Overfill it, and sand off the extra once everythings dry.  Or just dam up the sides with electrical tape or something, so its smooth and even on each side.    

If you plan on removing the grip often, use some sort of "release agent" on the inside of the grip itself, so the RTV doesnt stick to it.  Vaseline would probobly work.    

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]
RRA, thanks for the tip on the RTV silicone.  I think I might have some lying around.

Quoted:
HEY GUYS I NEED HELP WITH MY STOCK! everything is fine i just need to know what to do about my scope. i got the stock today and havent even began to put the action in, that will be tomrow. but what type of raiser should i get becuase just puting my cheek on the stock i know i will need probably a larger one becuase the stock is so hi. SO HELP WITH MY SCOPE PROBLEMS!

You could just go with a Power Custom weaver base (about $15) and use high rings.  When I first got the stock I mounted it on my scoped 10/22T with medium tip-off rings and the factory base.  The scope was way too low.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
i just got mine for my birthday now will some tell me HOW TO POST FREAKING PICTURES!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
oh and yes the rifle is perfect now i got the right set up for my scope. i hav the normal top rail. i moved it back one notch. and got Xhigh rings and put theme on there and it work LITERALY PERFECT!!!!!!! should have range report by monday morning or afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i just got mine for my birthday now will some tell me HOW TO POST FREAKING PICTURES!

Upload your pics to a hosting site like Photobucket (free), then copy the link for your pic and insert it into your post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top