Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:25:59 PM EDT
Are there any loads quiet enough to shoot in my garage or maybe even the back yard?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Remington moly-coated 40grn. HP Sub-Sonic is my choice.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#3]
How load are those round?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#4]
CCI CB caps.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#5]
CB caps from an 18" barrel are like a hand clap.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the CB caps.  Those things are cool.  I was amazed how quiet they are the first time I fired one.  Is it for city varmint eradication?  Curious what the FPS is on them.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
CCI CB caps.  

Are those shorts or LR?  If shorts, do you just load them by hand?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Try the CCI CB Long, P/N 0038  (29 grain lead round nose at 710 ft/sec)

They make loading in some firearms much easier.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Aguila SSS out of a 77/22. Don't even need hearing protection, and, at least in my rifle, it doesn't keyhole.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Aguila SSS out of a 77/22. Don't even need hearing protection, and, at least in my rifle, it doesn't keyhole.

i have a cheap but very neat rexio sisgle shot 22 pistol with 10" they are the same out of it a click then a thump to what they hit. i shoot the coublero ones i know i spelled that rong i will look at my stock pile and get the correct name i have 6 types of this ammo
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have a cheap but very neat rexio sisgle shot 22 pistol with 10" they are the same out of it a click then a thump to what they hit. i shoot the coublero ones i know i spelled that rong i will look at my stock pile and get the correct name i have 6 types of this ammo

Is this what you mean?

Aguila .22LR Colibri Ammo - NO GUNPOWDER  

Aguila .22 Colibri 20gr SP, 50/box, 375fps velocity, 6 ft/lb    Add Item To Your Cart
This is a cartridge that contains no gunpowder. the little 20g. bullet is solely propelled by the powerful Eley priming mix. For this reason, it does not generate any significant pressure. Due to the lack of noise when fired, the .22 Colibri may be shot indoors, even in the living room, provided a proper back stop is available. The .22 Colibri may be used to eliminate pests such as rats. It may be fired in any .22 LR rifle or pistol, however, it will not cycle the slide of semi-automatic guns. Has a Solid Point Made of Lead Weight 20 grains

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]

www.natchezss.com/images/products/AU1B222337.jpg

Well, that's what I just tried today. So far I only tested it out of a snubnosed revolver. It's only as loud as those little snapping firework that you throw at the ground. You know, those deals that look like giant sperm.

I imagine out of a rifle they would be completely silent. I'll try that later tonight and report back.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well, that's what I just tried today. So far I only tested it out of a snubnosed revolver. It's only as loud as those little snapping firework that you throw at the ground. You know, those deals that look like giant sperm.

I imagine out of a rifle they would be completely silent. I'll try that later tonight and report back.

I've shot them out of a bolt gun and they make a little "poot" sound.  Beware:  they are not designed for rifles and the possibility exist for them to lodge in the barrel.  No big deal, just make sure it actually cleared the barrel before the next shot and visually inspect before firing normal ammo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this what you mean?

Aguila .22LR Colibri Ammo - NO GUNPOWDER  

Aguila .22 Colibri 20gr SP, 50/box, 375fps velocity, 6 ft/lb    Add Item To Your Cart
This is a cartridge that contains no gunpowder. the little 20g. bullet is solely propelled by the powerful Eley priming mix. For this reason, it does not generate any significant pressure. Due to the lack of noise when fired, the .22 Colibri may be shot indoors, even in the living room, provided a proper back stop is available. The .22 Colibri may be used to eliminate pests such as rats. It may be fired in any .22 LR rifle or pistol, however, it will not cycle the slide of semi-automatic guns. Has a Solid Point Made of Lead Weight 20 grains

yes but i have some in a yellow box called supers and they even have subsonics thats alot softer then the remington subs
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never been able to tell the difference between the normal and super colibri rounds.  They all seem to be the same, other than the name...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#16]
if you want a rifle that will cycle most sub-sonics try a Remington model 550-1, -1A, -A or -2G,
mine will cycle CCI CBs all day long. needless to say these rifles have been discontinued for quite some time, but there are some great deals if you look for them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have never been able to tell the difference between the normal and super colibri rounds.  They all seem to be the same, other than the name...

shoot 5 or so out of a short barrel pistol of the std then the super they are just a tad bit louder.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

shoot 5 or so out of a short barrel pistol of the std then the super they are just a tad bit louder.

The supers penetrate a little more too, maybe half an inch into a phonebook for the Colibris and three quarters of an inch for supers.  I also notice them to be a bit louder.  A Crossman pellet trap will catch either, but they're right at the limit for the kevlar curtains and I've had a few punch straight through to the backing plate.  None left the trap though.

Both are quieter than CB's.  Subsonics are much louder, and are in a whoooole different category as far as penetration and such.  

I think of Colibris as "gallery loads", but I'm sure proper shot placement could score small pests.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Super Colibri bounced off rats SEVERAL times in my yard at 5-7 yards off. 10/22 18". CBs have more power.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
CCI CB caps.  

+
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I am a big fan of super colibri.  I have shot of 1k rds of it through a tube fed bolt action.  It is very quiet.  It is not the greatest penetrator but I have killed several squirrels at about 15-21ft.  I live in a suburban area with my neighbors about 20yds away and they had no clue.  The squirrels did not drop dead but ran up the tree and about 25 seconds late fell to the ground dead or mortality wounded.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
+1 on the CB caps.  Those things are cool.  I was amazed how quiet they are the first time I fired one.  Is it for city varmint eradication?  Curious what the FPS is on them.  

The sign at my fleet farm said 790 fps.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Try the CCI CB Long, P/N 0038  (29 grain lead round nose at 710 ft/sec)

They make loading in some firearms much easier.

These things are amazing out of my Gemtech.  They sound about as loud as spitting tobacco, yet really hit the steel pretty hard.  At 3 feet, they will go through 1.25" of phone book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top