Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 3:43:23 AM EDT
I want to build a manually actuated (non-auto) suppressed .22lr gun, since here in PA we can't hunt with an auto. I would really like to put a tactical solutions threaded heavy barrel on a 96/22.  Of course I'd have to open up the barrel channel for a .920 barrel, but that's ok.  Is the barrel mounting the same for the 96/22 or 77/22?

Also, why are Ruger 77/22 and 96/22 rifle over twice the price of a 10/22?  Doesn't seem to make sense.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Last I heard, Tactical Solutions had suspended the manufacture of 10/22 barrels anyway.

Don't know about the 96/22, but I have a 10/22 and a 77/22 with threaded barrels. The latter is far more quiet. If I could only have one, that'd be it. You can reduce the action noise of the 10/22 somewhat with a Buffer Technologies pin.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Last I heard, Tactical Solutions had suspended the manufacture of 10/22 barrels anyway.

Don't know about the 96/22, but I have a 10/22 and a 77/22 with threaded barrels. The latter is far more quiet. If I could only have one, that'd be it. You can reduce the action noise of the 10/22 somewhat with a Buffer Technologies pin.

Did you have the stock 77/22 barrel threaded, or did you go aftermarket?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did you have the stock 77/22 barrel threaded, or did you go aftermarket?

I had the stock barrels threaded by Keith Norman, who advertises here on ARFCOM, and I bought thread protectors from the EE.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I had my factory 77/22 barrel cut down to 16.5" and threaded for a suppressor. Just make sure someone very competent does the threading ( a suppressor manufacturer would be your best bet), as you want the threads to be concentric with the bore to prevent baffle strikes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top