Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 12:15:06 PM EDT
i guess since the ban is no longer i should get some hi-cap mags.  who mags good mags?  and how bout a mag loader that ram line used to make?

spanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
ive heard good things about Butler Creek, but i'd stay away from Eagle. Their 30 rounder might be cheap, but you're getting what you pay for

if you want a REAL quality hi-cap mag, search for Tactical Innovations, they make a solid aluminum 25 round magazine that's adjustable for fit in your magwell and everything. real nice looking. but, its right around $50 a pop...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
the only surefire hi-cap i have seen is the tactical innovations

look through this forum for the thread discussing hi-caps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for more opinions.  

I'm thinking about the Butler Creek steel-lip 25-round smoke mags from Midway.  They're $28/apiece.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I only had one problem with the BC hot lips (all plastic) mags...

I thought it was barrel droop, a tight bentz chamber with a possible burr, or just a shitty mag.  

Looking at it closely, the bbl was not the problem at all, it was that the rounds sat a TINY bit too high in the mag.  They would be at an OK level to feed in, but the round underneath (one still in mag) would be gouged by the bolt, causing it to jam on entry.  

I pulled the bolt out and looked at the underside.  There's 3 "guide" ridges along the bottom.  My guess was that the bolt was being snagged by the middle ridge right at the edge of the bolt face.  To be sure I didnt remove too much; I stuck an spent casing on the bolt.  Then I took a dremel and slightly rounded off that pointy edge, giving it a taper.  Very little material was removed.    

Now the mags feed like a champ.  To test it out, I shot 400 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and reload 2 mags.  Had maybe a 1/2 dozen FTE's, but a VQ extractor should fix that problem.  Other than that, they work awesome now.   This was using cheap CCI-Blazer and mini-mags.  

YMMV  

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the steel lip Butler Creek 25 rounder.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#6]
yep agreed. . steel lip Butler Creek 25 or 30rd.

the bolt wears the cheap plastic lipped one's out rather quickly resulting in annoying jams.

i dunno anything about those mag-loaders. . .
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Has no one else had any luck with Eagle 30s?  I have 14 of them and they all run like tops with Federal ammo.  However, all of the feedback I hear is negative.  I was just wandering if anyone else had some that worked, or if I just got lucky.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yep agreed. . steel lip Butler Creek 25 or 30rd.

the bolt wears the cheap plastic lipped one's out rather quickly resulting in annoying jams.

i dunno anything about those mag-loaders. . .

The actual feed lip should not even touch the bolt.  The center ridge on the underside of the bolt will ride in the middle to push rounds forward out of the mag.  

I have an OLD butler creek mag that has at least 4k rounds through it, the feed lips look totally fine.  Works like a champ.  Have 3 newer hot lips mags and they all work awesome too.  
Keep in mind I modified my bolts' center ridge.

Maybe I just got lucky, I dunno    
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Has no one else had any luck with Eagle 30s?  I have 14 of them and they all run like tops with Federal ammo.  However, all of the feedback I hear is negative.  I was just wandering if anyone else had some that worked, or if I just got lucky.

ive got one of theirs, it was $10 on cheaper-than-dirt, so i figured why not give it a shot? well mine didnt run for shit at first. it would hang up every other round or so, but strangely the number of jams has dropped quite a bit since then. maybe the spring needed to get broken in? doesnt sound right, but hey, it's working a bit better.

it still jams at least once every mag-full, but for only $10, it could have been worse i guess...

id still much rather spring for some Steel Lips or a couple extra Ruger mags with one of those couplers if i wanted to be quick.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]
No problems with the 3 BC Steel Lips mags or the 2 hot lips mags I have.  I have 2 50 rd Ramline mags that have been totally worthless from day 1.  

I will say to stay away from the double stack mags and stick with single stack.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
BC steel lip mags work nicely in my 10/22.  The best part is the BC mag loader makes loading the mags a snap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top