Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 11:55:57 AM EDT
I curently own a 10/22 with a Carbon Fiber(plastic?) Butler Creek barrel and compensator.  When I purchased this barrel new a few years ago, the biggest thing that appealed to me was price and weight, it cost me about $130.  My gun has about 4-5k rounds through it and I clean it maticulously every outing.

I feel the barrel gives me great accuracy, but the biggest complaint I have is after market magazine compatibility.  I have tried Eagles, Butler Creeks, Ram Lines, Condors, Mitchells, the only ones that will feed properly are the Condor magazines.  Factory ones work great also.  What I mean by this is, I want to load a magazine, 25-30 rounds, and be able to empty it without clearing a jambed bullet.

My question is, does anyone feel it could be my Butler Creek CF Barrel feed ramp that could be giving me the feeding problem?

My thought is to replace my barrel with a Volquartsen CF barrel either with or without compensator.
Do people feel this could be the solution I am looking for?

Where is the best deal on Volquartsen carbon fiber barrels?  Link?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#1]
No one has any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The Volquartsen will have a tighter chamber for accuracy, which means that you'll be cleaning it more often and it won't like running in the winter (probably not a problem for you) if you shoot wax coated rounds thru it like ELEY and Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
the aftermarket mags are mainly meant to be used with barrels with a "sporter" chamber (stock  barrel).  aftermarket barrels use a bentz chamber which is tighter, and causes extraction and loading problems with the aftermarket mags.  someone gave me a couple BC mags and they won't run with my VQ THM Comped barrel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no feed ramp on 10/22 barrels. They are just flat breeches. The feedramps are the mag lips. One solution is to use a mag connector and use factory mags attached back to back. Doesn't accomplish exactly what you want, but it is 100% reliable.

FYI, the Butler Creek barrels are NOT CF. If you got an accurate one, you are really lucky. Their tendency is to shift POI - even the ones that will shoot to start with - as they heat up from shooting and sun warming. The VQ THM CF barrels are very accurate. I have not found any feeding or FTE problems with them - except for non fired rounds (which is true of most 10/22 barrels) so long as you keep the chambers clean.

An ejector swap to a VQ exact edge or just undercutting your own a little bit will solve any ejection related problems. I don't buy VQ's... I just modify my own. Make 100% sure that the barrel is aligned correctly and the extractor is not touching the side of the ejector slot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top