Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:02:28 PM EDT
I have gone through 4 in the last 2 months. I shoot 150 -200 rounds a week and with out fail they come to a point where the spring binds inside the mag. I know we as end users cannot service the mags and the gal at Ruger has had it with me calling. Is it me or did something go south in the manufacturing process?

What is happening is that the bolt will not pick up the next round from the mag because there is little or no preasure forcing the round up. Most of the time the round is a 1/2 inch below the feed lips and if the mag is smacked on a hard surface the internal spring will become dislodged from what ever is making it bind, and the round will come up to the feed lips and function properly until it binds again. I am getting frustrated. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out rimfirecentral.com, but I think you can take those mags apart yourself.

I found a link to help you out.
www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You can take them apart, clean them and tighten the spring to provide more positive feeding.

If they are NFG at this point, what do you have to lose?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Take them apart, clean them, deburr the plastic rotor part if need, correctly tension the spring (I use 8 flats of the hex nut), and reassemble.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
And THAT'S why I didn't buy them for over $100 during the ban.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I still have the magazine that came with my ruger.  No problems yet.
BTW, my Dad bought that rifle for me back in '81.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Take them apart & clean them. I polished the lip while a part. I added more tension to the spring when I reassemble. -Justin
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Dude, he is talking about the standard factory supplied 10 round magazine.  

If you wouldn't buy them for $100 could I interest you in one for $50?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Check out rimfirecentral.com, but I think you can take those mags apart yourself.

I found a link to help you out.
www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

i tune my mags like the thread states but maybe add a few turns of the flats

been through about 6-8 bricks now since the last cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, he is talking about the standard factory supplied 10 round magazine.  

If you wouldn't buy them for $100 could I interest you in one for $50?

DooH!

I thought he was talking about the teardrop 50 round rotary mag.
I don't use the stock 10/22 mags, I use the Butler Creek mags.

I have a couple of Butler Creek hot lips mags that are over 20 years old and have had thousands of rounds put through them with no problems.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top