Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 4:11:54 AM EDT
Ok, so I know my first NFA purchase is going to be a can for my .22's. Currently I've got a 10/22 and a Marlin 880SQ, fun guns to shoot but I need a new accessory for each.

Prices and dB reductions vary across the board, I know I'm looking for something threaded (not QD) but who's the best. Since suppressors are so hard to transfer I figured I'd go out and get the best the first time out.

Any thoughts on who's got the best cans?

Sanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]
silencertests.com

i have a gemtech outback II on order
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Since suppressors are so hard to transfer

Where did you get that notion?

The top three are:

SWR Warlock
ACC Pilot
Gemtech Outback II
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you like Ford or Chevy?  

I went with an SWR Warlock for several reasons.

1. My dealer, whom I trust probably trust  too much , informed me of SWR's stellar customer service and warranty. He also informed me of another major company that had very poor customer service so that eliminated them.

2. I tried a few different cans and the SWR sounded best to my ear.

3. All the features that I wanted in a can were in the SWR.

4. The dealer had a slew of Warlock's in stock = no extra waits.

So,....I can only really say, I don't think you will be disappointed with SWR.

edit - Isn't SRT in Arizona? I've heard good things about their suppressors. You might want to look into them. Having the manufacturer right next door is a GOOD thing.

Yup, just checked. Check these guys out.

SRT ARMS
1739 EAST BROADWAY ROAD
#1-161
TEMPE, AZ 85282

Phone: (480) 967-6218
Fax: (480) 902-0783

www.srtarms.com
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, good info so far, would appreciate a few more responses.

Now, how important is it that I be able to disassemble the can for cleaning/mx?

P.S. Oh, and my statement that suppressors are hard to transfer does not relate to the actual transfer of the item, simply the high costs involved would reduce the resale value and make the transfer very unprofitable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, good info so far, would appreciate a few more responses.

Now, how important is it that I be able to disassemble the can for cleaning/mx?

P.S. Oh, and my statement that suppressors are hard to transfer does not relate to the actual transfer of the item, simply the high costs involved would reduce the resale value and make the transfer very unprofitable.

I just sent you some information; check your PM box.  :)

In terms of transfers, you're right-- that tax is expensive in relation to the value of the can.  That's why you do your research beforehand (which you're doing now) and treat this as a LIFETIME purchase!

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a thought, if I get a compensated barrel, will that defeat the purpose of a suppressor?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just a thought, if I get a compensated barrel, will that defeat the purpose of a suppressor?

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Since suppressors are so hard to transfer

Where did you get that notion?

The top three are:

SWR Warlock
ACC Pilot
Gemtech Outback II

I think he means hassle and stamp cost of 200.  I wouldnt mind getting a few different models of the same cal Can if it wasnt for the $200 stamp and the transfer forms.  I made a mistake with my first Can and in a few months with buy a new 45cal can to takes its place.  Also Can's are hard to sell from once on a form 4.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Since you are in Arizona you'd be crazy not to go with an SRT Cheyenne XL. To quote SRT:

"The CHEYENNE XL is  similar as the Cheyenne, except it incorporates one more baffle, and is 5.5" long, to make it the quietest production suppressor currently available for those that don't mind a slightly longer suppressor."

You would not have to deal with a Class 3 dealer since SRT is in-state. That may save you some money right there. Not to mention that SRT's owner (Doug Melton) is a hell of a nice guy and even posts here on AR15.com under the screen name AZDoug. I own a couple of SRT suppressors and can highly recommend their products. Not to mention the various favorable articles that have been written about them in firearms magazines.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my SWR Warlock.  I had SWR thread my Green Mountain barrel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
edit - Isn't SRT in Arizona? I've heard good things about their suppressors. You might want to look into them. Having the manufacturer right next door is a GOOD thing.

SRT ARMS
1739 EAST BROADWAY ROAD
#1-161
TEMPE, AZ 85282

www.srtarms.com

Quoted:
Since you are in Arizona you'd be crazy not to go with an SRT Cheyenne XL. To quote SRT:

"The CHEYENNE XL is  similar as the Cheyenne, except it incorporates one more baffle, and is 5.5" long, to make it the quietest production suppressor currently available for those that don't mind a slightly longer suppressor."

You would not have to deal with a Class 3 dealer since SRT is in-state. That may save you some money right there. Not to mention that SRT's owner (Doug Melton) is a hell of a nice guy and even posts here on AR15.com under the screen name AZDoug. I own a couple of SRT suppressors and can highly recommend their products. Not to mention the various favorable articles that have been written about them in firearms magazines.

What they said.    
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Local C3 dealer has a Warlock and a Pilot in and we were testing them (Tac 52/65/67 comparison coming soon).  The Warlock had a noticeably louder first round pop than the Pilot.  Subsequent shots were slightly quieter with the Pilot as well, but not as much of a difference between the two as that first round.  I have read the silencertests things, but nothing compares to hearing them back to back....

Woody
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a Warlock and have no regrets whatsoever.  

Be careful reading silencertests.com as its very apparent Rsilvers(owner of that board) is in love with AAC, either that or AAC is buying him.  He has a odd dedication to the AAC line.  He says he opinions are not biased towards AAC but the proof is in the writing and he favors AAC over most of the competition regardless of what his meter says.  Just a thought.  I have taken my SWR can's against AAC cans and AAC is left in the dirt, silencertests.com says otherwise.  Thats a different thread though.

Compensating a barrel with a can is pointless as the compensator changes the flow of the discharge of gas and that gas would be OUTSIDE the can...where is the suppression if the gas is OUTSIDE the can.

Most cans are sealed at the factory and are designed NOT to be disassembled or cleaned.  SWR will clean your can for you, don't attempt it yourself, regardless if they will fix your screwup.

Only break down can is the Tac series, Tac 65/67.

Service with SWR is phenomenal, no questions asked just call Joe(owner) and he will take care of you.

Go with a Warlock, may be a little more costly than the AAC Pilot but if for anything the customer service and feeling as if you are a extended part of Joe family makes it worth while, and I guarantee you won't be sorry.  Henry @ Title2.com can get you fixed up just right!  Hes a good guy to work with.  

matt
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Something to consider is that when going by a decibel reading results test like in Silencertests.com, it doesn't place a tangible value on what the sound coming out of a can is like. Take motorcycles.... Which do you hear coming first and going last, a Japanese 4 cylinder or a Harley? Same thing applies-it's the perception of sound that matters, not how loud it is on a meter.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Since you are in AZ -- +1 for SRT Cheyenne XL can.  I have both the Cheyenne and the Cheyenne XL (along with several other .22lr suppressors) and the Cheyenne XL is an excellent choice.  The other suppressors mentioned:  AAC Pilot, SWR Warlock, and Gemtech Outback II are also excellent cans.

Dave Brown
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Do you have a preference between all the cans? My state just became a C3 state last month and I'm in the market for a .22 and .223 can.  I want to do it right the first time.. cost is secondary to performance, i.e. which one sounds the quietest instead of which one shows the lowest DB.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:39:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm waiting for the .gov to finish processing the paperwork on a Gemtech Outback II.  I think that the big three are pretty close in actual performance, and the bad attitude from AAC helped me make my decision to go with the Outback.  I have always had good customer service and positive contact from Gemtech.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Fords and Chevys....
I'll look you right in the eye and tell you that I think that a TAC-67 is the one to buy, but then again, I own a TAC-67.

I like taking it apart and cleaning it.  Some will tell you that it is not neccesary to take them apart, in fact, they will tell you that the more you shoot them, the quieter they become!
I cannot address that, as I simply do not know, I dissasemble, and clean mine.

An all stainless TAC-67 is heavy, nearly twice the weight of an aluminum can.  That, too, should be taken into consideration.

Suppressors cause quite a bit of blowback, and whatever one you use, on whatever firearm, will cause lots of crud to be deposited in not only the suppressor, but every bit of the firearm's action.

Go to a shoot where there are several different cans.  Listen to them, hold them, find one that you like.

Pucker up, spend the money, and I can almost assure you that you will not be sorry that you bought a suppressor!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with SWR (Warlock) because I've never heard a bad thing about their products or the company.

Haven't got a chance to try it yet, have a gun on the way to TROS to be threaded right now.

When I bought it I lived in WA and since suppressors are really uncommon there (and illegal to use) I couldn't do a side by side comparison, so my decision was solely based on stuff I've read on this and other forums.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I purchased a Warlock and have no regrets whatsoever.  

Be careful reading silencertests.com as its very apparent Rsilvers(owner of that board) is in love with AAC, either that or AAC is buying him.  He has a odd dedication to the AAC line.  He says he opinions are not biased towards AAC but the proof is in the writing and he favors AAC over most of the competition regardless of what his meter says.  Just a thought.  I have taken my SWR can's against AAC cans and AAC is left in the dirt, silencertests.com says otherwise.  Thats a different thread though.

Compensating a barrel with a can is pointless as the compensator changes the flow of the discharge of gas and that gas would be OUTSIDE the can...where is the suppression if the gas is OUTSIDE the can.

Most cans are sealed at the factory and are designed NOT to be disassembled or cleaned.  SWR will clean your can for you, don't attempt it yourself, regardless if they will fix your screwup.

Only break down can is the Tac series, Tac 65/67.

Service with SWR is phenomenal, no questions asked just call Joe(owner) and he will take care of you.

Go with a Warlock, may be a little more costly than the AAC Pilot but if for anything the customer service and feeling as if you are a extended part of Joe family makes it worth while, and I guarantee you won't be sorry.  Henry @ Title2.com can get you fixed up just right!  Hes a good guy to work with.  

matt

+1 I dont like the way AAC response to post about there stuff on different forums.  They are always attacking people.  JMHO.

I have an Outback II and if my SBR works out I will be getting a Warlock QD for it.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRT ARMS
1739 EAST BROADWAY ROAD
#1-161
TEMPE, AZ 85282

www.srtarms.com

Quoted:

What they said.    

+1 more

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top