Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 11:06:23 AM EDT
also best hicap mags...

i want one for a truck gun..

but dont really know anything about them..

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty damn reliable.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
About as reliable as you can get. You jus have to shoot a variety of Ammo to see which ones your particular rifle likes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, very.  The Butler Creek mags w/ steel lips work well, but sometimes you need to replace the factory mag release (about $3 and 5 minutes) or they may unlatch too easily.  10/22s are one of the most reliable semiauto .22s I've ever shot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Be careful if you install a scope mount that you do not use too long a screw and bind on the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Do some ammo testing & see what your mags/rifle likes.  I use the BC hot-lips mags and have good luck with them.  Every 10/22 bbl. is different, you just have to find the right ammo and you're set.  

A few brands to try out:
Winchester Dynapoints & Powerpoints
CCI blazer, mini-mag, ect.  (many varieties w/ cci)

And use some blue loctite on all screws and mounts so they don't loosen.

rimfirecentral.com for more info.    
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
very reliable
but don't confuse reliability with accuracy ...straight out of the box

Taffy
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Very reliable and very accurate straight out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#8]
very reliable after break-in and upgrade parts are fairly cheap.

for hi-cap mags i think tactical innovations have had the best reviews.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Great! Both of mine are exteemly reliable, even before all the modifications, and fairly acurate straight from the factory. Like was said befor, try as many brands of ammo as you can and your bound to find one the rifle likes. As for mags, I think they may be a hit or miss type of thing. I have tried about 7 different butler creek hot lips mags and while 3 worked like a charm the other 4 kinda craped out. many FTF's and even a magazine failure( the spring got stuck about halfway down and wouldnt move until I broke it apart.) Another realy good thing to do is lubricate the bolt and bolt spring with dry moly lube, it works 1000 times better than any oil on the 10/22.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Very reliable and very accurate straight out of the box.

Same for mine.  It didn't start to get unreliable until I started tinkering with it
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The only part I have issue with is the Ruger factory 10 round rotey mags, seams as though after not a whole lot of rouunds they start to bind. After a good whack on the bench they will unbind and it is a pain in the ass. I guess the coil spring hangs up. Anybody else have this happen repeatedly?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
My box stock 10/22 is very reliable and accurate. I just took it out plinking yesterday, and ran 400 rds through it with Butler Creek "Hot Lips" mags, not one single malfunction. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]
all three of our 10/22s have never skipped a beat and are very accurate and in stock form. all 3 are 10+ years old now with thousands of rounds through each. All have been very good. We use butler creek also and stay away from ramline. Those are crap.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine has only had trouble with the cheep Federal ammo.  No malfunctions on anything else.  The factory barrels are just as good as the after market as far as accuracy.  You can spend money on after market stuff for "bling" but there is no actual need.  I think a 10-22 mag would make an almost perfect truck gun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#15]
only problem I ever had with mine, was the heavy waxed bullets would cause feed problems after many rounds. Ramline mags suck. I use B/C or eagle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
About as reliable as you can get. You jus have to shoot a variety of Ammo to see which ones your particular rifle likes.

With you on that one.
  For some reason my 10/22 only likes the Remington rounds.  Recently I've used the Rem. Thunderbolts, and they seem to be fast reliable, and accurate enough... and Cheap.  I also like their HP "Golden bullets" b/c of reliabilty, accuracy and wound ballistics, but haven't been able to find them around any time in the past few months.  Besides, who can argue with 550 loose 22LR rounds tossed in a box (you only pay for 500, ya know ... - :)

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:41:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't have a lot of rounds through my 10/22 maybe 7-800. Still trying different ammo. But so far it's ok. I'm only using the factory 10rd mags.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mine has only had trouble with the cheep Federal ammo.  No malfunctions on anything else.  The factory barrels are just as good as the after market as far as accuracy.  You can spend money on after market stuff for "bling" but there is no actual need. I think a 10-22 mag would make an almost perfect truck gun.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Also the only time mine is very innacurate is if I clean it thouroughly.

I try to limit cleaning now to a minimium with my 10/22 but I still have to clean it at some point

Taffy
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Also the only time mine is very innacurate is if I clean it thouroughly.

I try to limit cleaning now to a minimium with my 10/22 but I still have to clean it at some point

Taffy

I have heard that said before but for the life of me can not see how it would be possible.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#21]
My stainless carbine wasn't very reliable when I first got it. Lots and lots of stovepipes.
I bought a VQ extracter, complete turnaround. I went 800 plus rounds without cleaning.
I finally got a stovepipe when I was out trying to bumpfire. I was just dumping 25 rounders, when I got one stovepipe.

I'm in love with it now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#22]
my 10/22 only gets about 200 rounds before I have to thoroughly clean it, wouldn't use it as a truck gun personally... not enough stopping power if you come across somethign dangerous... liek a bear or other human being. You don't always get the chance to make a precise shot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#23]
My buddies and I have put 100,000+ rds through our 10/22s.   Butler Creek 25rd mags are the mags to go with.  They finally came back down in price.  They were up to 75$ during the ban.

They are accurate enough to kill small game and plink.  Buddies have killed most everything that moves out by them.  Birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, etc.  We used to go out 2-3 times every weekend and shoot in their woods.  Sadly, they never cleaned theirs, yet they stayed remarkably useable.  One of my other friends put a cheap scope on his; it works good enough.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The only part I have issue with is the Ruger factory 10 round rotey mags, seams as though after not a whole lot of rouunds they start to bind. After a good whack on the bench they will unbind and it is a pain in the ass. I guess the coil spring hangs up. Anybody else have this happen repeatedly?

factory rotary mag tune
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mine has only had trouble with the cheep Federal ammo.  No malfunctions on anything else.  The factory barrels are just as good as the after market as far as accuracy.  You can spend money on after market stuff for "bling" but there is no actual need. I think a 10-22 mag would make an almost perfect truck gun.

+1

Um... have you ever compared a 10/22 with a quality target barrel to a factory 10/22?

There is a pretty substantial accuracy difference.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The factory barrels are just as good as the after market as far as accuracy.  You can spend money on after market stuff for "bling" but there is no actual need.

Obviously you speak from "0" experience.  The loose sporter chamber of the factory 10/22 barrel can in no way produce the accuracy of a good aftermarket barrel with a match chamber.

My stock 10/22 would shoot 2"-3" groups at 50 yards under the best conditions with quality ammo.  It now wears a GM barrel and can easily produce groups of .5" or less with the same ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top