Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 4:15:25 PM EDT
ok guys heres the deal Im tossing around the idea of building a sweet sniper rifel (not with the AR)

1) money for the build is not a issue

2) but i would like to do it in .22 cal so i can shoot all day (not something thats going to be a dollar a bullet .50) plus i think a 22 will always be a more challenging round for practice

3) i like the adjustable face and but plate of the SSG 3000 (yeah and it has a 22 conversion
as well as still could be practicle if i deicided to use it to hunt)

(anyone got any places that have this in stock with a price listed online? as well as the conversion?)

4) I like the look of the polystocks verse the wooden/ multi color wooden

5) list optics and any other mods you would do to it
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a .17 or .22mag and you will not regret it. Ammo might cost a little more but it will be accurate at 200 yards or even more with a .17

With a .22 I'd say max range is 100 yards.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
.22 is not a good choice for a sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
.17 HMR is your best bet.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
alrighty then what would u suggest for the HMR .....cz, volquartsen...what?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
EVERY CZ owner I know of or have heard of loves them. The biggest criticism is that some don't care for the mag sticking down below the stock, but that's a minor point. They seem to be just about the best value going.

I have a Ruger 77/22 varmint. Nice gun but it took nearly 1000 rounds through it before it settled down and started shooting some good groups. I like it 'cause it really does have the feel of a full-size "sniper rifle." About half the 77/22 owners I know have accuracy issues with them (including me until lately). The rest seem satisfied.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Money no object eh....Tactical Operations builds one.  The also build centerfire rifles.  Buy a matched set.

Cooper, not tactical but accurate.

Volquartsen Custom. Well spoken of on RimfireCentral.com

Remington 40X repeater (custom shop) then you can place it into an AICS!

Oh yea, Tactical Solutions builds a 16" integrally supressed barrel for the 10/22.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
savage .17hmr w/ accu-trigger
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]
.22lr?  no price limit?

plain carbine or rifle from wal-mart as a platform

kidd supermatch trigger group

volquartsen barrel they offer .17 conv. too.

bell & carlson stock

bolt headspaced and tweaked by cpc

nightforce scope

weaponkraft pkg deal with  buffer, vq ee extractor, take down screw and wrench

lots of ruger factory mags(i like the anniversary ones) orthe tactical innovations 25rd mag

and lots of range time
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a kimber svt and it shoots every round in a very small hole and it is awesome, check one out if you can, they are great and i have a can for it also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#10]
i take it you're using the term "sniper" loosely?  i know the idf has used .22 to take out leaders of protests, but just to incapacitate, not kill.  but that's the only time i've heard sniper and 22 in the same sentence.  but hmmmm, .17  or .22mag for that same purpose?  interesting.  would like to see what those rounds would do in that situation.

anyways...so i guess you're really talking about target shooting?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]
yeah target shooting ....... no incapacitating anyone...... but now ive come to the delima if im going to pay   a little extra for the HMR round why now just pay the little extra for a .308 round so i can take down a  deer......
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruger 77/22 Surpressed by LRM

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i1.tinypic.com/npoubp.jpg

can ya give Me (us) a break down on your rifle.

Stock?

Scope?

I know barrel is (or may be Tact Solutions)

Ive got Plain jane 10/22 that Im thinking of transforming to use my OUTBACK with.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
well money is no object eh...

Hawktech for Trigger and Reciver parts

VQ Reciver and Bolt.
Tactical Solutions threaded Bull barrel *or Intragal supressor*
Supressor if not intragal
Skeeters adjustable pull weight Trigger pack.. *would probably want to PM him on this on Rim Fire Central.. i would place this Trigger pack above a Kidd or VQ personally*
I dont know excatly what kind of stock to say... Perhaps a Rineland Arms stock with a Magpul Precision Rifle Stock *stock is a really personal item*

and for glass i my personal specs would be 4-20X-42 with fully adjustable paralax

i probably would add a Haris Bipod

with this setup rodents will be quaking...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i1.tinypic.com/npoubp.jpg

wtf is that n howd u put it together?? Im in love with that gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
i built mine the only thing i would change is not to use a stainless barrel, and change the stock color so the thing dont stick out here is a picture

good for benchrest of from the shoulder

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/Glockster19/myguns001.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/Glockster19/myguns005.jpg

def a tight shooter

the optics  is a accushot 4-16x56mm illuminated MIL-DOT reticle excellent scope for $150 and my gun seems to love it
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]
that is a dime beside the group for reference and it was from just under 60 yds i messured with my feet that day but went back and messured it it was really like 58 1/2 yds

good look  you will have fun with it and you will find it challenging to get to know the traj of your shots in different condition  it is very fun to shoot all day and spend only one bill out of the wallet and learn something doing it
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:35:26 AM EDT
[#19]
svi40,
Very Nice!
Waiting for component list...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the kind words! I had a real hard time figuring out where I wanted to go with this rifle but I couldn't be happier with the results.

I began with the old walmart 10/22 for $140, sold the stock and barrel, then started with the add ons.

VQ hammer
VQ bolt release
VQ mag release
Tactical Solutions black 16.5" threaded barrel
Hogue OD green overmolded stock
Weaver rings
Leupold rifleman 2-7x33mm scope

and the icing on the cake: an SWR Warlock suppressor.

This setup actually weighs LESS that the gun did stock with a skinny barrel. About 5lbs total. If you dont know anything about tacsol barrels check them out. A fluted bull barrel only weighs in at about 14 ounces, compared to over 40 ounces for a steel barrel with the same dimensions.

Fantastic accuracy, ultra-light, and very quiet. You damn right I love this gun!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the kind words! I had a real hard time figuring out where I wanted to go with this rifle but I couldn't be happier with the results.

I began with the old walmart 10/22 for $140, sold the stock and barrel, then started with the add ons.

VQ hammer
VQ bolt release
VQ mag release
Weaver rings

This setup actually weighs LESS that the gun did stock with a skinny barrel. About 5lbs total. If you dont know anything about tacsol barrels check them out. A fluted bull barrel only weighs in at about 14 ounces, compared to over 40 ounces for a steel barrel with the same dimensions.

Fantastic accuracy, ultra-light, and very quiet. You damn right I love this gun!

Cool. Im buiding about the same gun only with Gemtech OUTBACK> lol
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds cool man. Let me know if I can help you out with anything.

Quoted:

Quoted:

VQ hammer
VQ bolt release
VQ mag release
Weaver rings

Cool. Im buiding about the same gun only with Gemtech OUTBACK> lol

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top