Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 6:52:44 AM EDT
A friend of mine loves bumping. He's got the AR and the AK down pat, but he recently got a 10/22 for the purpose of saving money on the ammo. He's lightened the trigger to no avail. One day we even took the stock off completely and tried to bump it with the the receiver only, to no better avail.
He doesn't want to use a crank, and is stuck for new ideas on how to get it to work.

Any hints?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
very difficult.

there's little or no recoil to "bump". One of the key factors in bumpfiring is recoil.

It's like playing basketball with a rock.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I think too. He's determined to figure it out though.

He's a guy who can throw up charcoal and hit it with a MKII or a 1911, so I'm thinking he'll find a way .
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He's a guy who can throw up charcoal and hit it with a MKII or a 1911, so I'm thinking he'll find a way .

Sounds like as future darwin award winner.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a hold of ErikM98 that fucker can bump a 10/22 he's a pro at it.(I can't even bumpfire an AK or AR)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like as future darwin award winner.

Quite the opposite.
Self taught gunsmith.
Hundreds of thousands of rounds of reloads.
Taking guns apart and reshaping parts with JB Weld.

Another thing he does that's amazing is hold 2 12 ga. shells in his mouth, and having one in the magazine. He'll throw 3 clays in the air, spin around while spinning the gun over and under his shoulder, popping in the 2 extra rounds, and knocking all 3 out of the air before they reach the apex.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The best way to simulate bump firing with a 10/22 is to use one of these.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quite the opposite.

Not dobuting his skills one bit.

but .22's and .45's go a wee bit further than a shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quite the opposite.

Not dobuting his skills one bit.

but .22's and .45's go a wee bit further than a shotgun.

Ah, sorry bout misunderstanding that.
We know the layout of the area that we shoot in. Safety is concern #1.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good golly gosh and save the donut holes I hope so.  Bump firing, to me, is unsafe, period.  One squib load with enough gas pressure or recoil to eject the empty and load another round, then the trigger gets tripped, and all I can say is KABOOM!  It only has to take your eye out once, right?  We're not trying to be insulting here, but showing off, even when you're good at it, can easily get you in trouble.  Just ask the Kneivel family.

Darwin and I have an understanding.  We agree with each other, but we're trying not to be too friendly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good golly gosh and save the donut holes I hope so.  Bump firing, to me, is unsafe, period.  One squib load with enough gas pressure or recoil to eject the empty and load another round, then the trigger gets tripped, and all I can say is KABOOM!  It only has to take your eye out once, right?  We're not trying to be insulting here, but showing off, even when you're good at it, can easily get you in trouble.  Just ask the Kneivel family.

Darwin and I have an understanding.  We agree with each other, but we're trying not to be too friendly.

so no full autos for you?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good golly gosh and save the donut holes I hope so.  Bump firing, to me, is unsafe, period.

ya took the words from my mouth.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, the proper procedure is to shoot, remove the magazine, jack out the live round, reload it in the magazine, check the bore, re-insert magazine, chamber a round, think about it, repeat the removal of the magazine and live round, shake said round, tie string to trigger, tie gun to tree, reload magazine, and carefully pull the string.

Even the old guys who show up with a single box of .22's and a revolver look like ammo hogs in comparison.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
What ever happend to that "full auto" stock that was supposed to be coming out?  It let the receiver move slightly with the recoil so you could bumpfire a 10/22 from your shoulder.  

Anyone remember that video?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What ever happend to that "full auto" stock that was supposed to be coming out?  It let the receiver move slightly with the recoil so you could bumpfire a 10/22 from your shoulder.  

Anyone remember that video?

I remember hearing about that.  
 There were sprins or something that ran along each side of the action.
The bbl'd action sat on a track in the stock, and would move back with the recoil, and the spring would pull it back forward.
 All you had to do was hold your finger back on the trigger...  The spring rate was tuned or adjustable, so that you could adjust it for different loads (subsonic, HV, ect.)

Maybe I was dreaming this up, but I KNOW I heard about it online somewhere.  
It was totally legal too, because you werent modifying the actual trigger itself.  

I DO have an extra carbine stock ...maybe take just the action inlet piece...route some exterior grooves on it...build a "outer" stock out of aluminum or weld up some steel...
I'm thinking springs to push it forward in the track...(adjustable...like MTB or some car springs are)
Tiny rollers to reduce friction between the wood and the metal...(think mini drawer slides)
Not sure about how far back it would have to be able to slide.  I guess just enough room for the trigger to reset...right?  

Ohh...the possibilities...  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get a hold of ErikM98 that fucker can bump a 10/22 he's a pro at it.(I can't even bumpfire an AK or AR)

Why thankyou

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No, thanks.  If that means I have don't have the brass balls needed to shoot full auto, then so be it.  Me and my mushy nuts will hopefully live a nice long life without any shrapnell from a KABOOM.  I have no desire to mess with any thing fully automatic.

More for the rest of yous, if you need to look at it that way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, thanks.  If that means I have don't have the brass balls needed to shoot full auto, then so be it.  Me and my mushy nuts will hopefully live a nice long life without any shrapnell from a KABOOM.  I have no desire to mess with any thing fully automatic.

More for the rest of yous, if you need to look at it that way.

Cure squibs by buying good ammo.  And having personally trusted my life to a machine gun.  There not as bad as you might think
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least squibs require two rounds to become a possible catastrophe.  If you're concerned about the quality of ammunition, shouldn't you be worried about overcharged rounds?  It only takes one excessive load to KaBoom granddaddy's single-shot hunting rifle, and with the "hit the bullseye every time" mentality, that KaBoom will be right  in front of the shooter's face, instead of way down at waist level.

Also, isn't it kind of difficult to get .22lr to KaBoom?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Look, you folks do what you want.  You're not going to change my mind about how I feel about bump firing.  I've seen all manner of folks bump fire all manner of semi auto firearms.  I've seen video of folks shooting full auto firearms.  I've seen tehse same foks hanving so damn much fun sendign lead in a general direction that they have forgotten about the basic safety rules of handling a firearm.  The picture in teh post above of someone bump firing a 10/22 shows the gun pointed higher than horizontal.  I have no idea where that picture was taken, but in many places, that is sending rounds where they shoudn't go.  Maybe that didn't happen in that situation when that picture was taken.

We, as gun owners, are always whining about how others that don't enjoy our hobby or lifestyle percieve us to be.  You can be a gun nut without acting like one.

And please, remember my sig line.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#20]

And someday I'll live in a bubble, where nothing can harm me...

YOPD, you are set in your ways.  That's totally fine with me.

Opinions are like, well...you know,   ....Everyone's got one!    
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Bump firing is improper use of a weapon. It is NOT the same as firing full auto. It wouldnt be allowed @ my range. I have yet to attend a formal training class were I wouldnt be thrown out on my head/ass for trying that. Not to mention it looks so good to those who are not involved in shooting yet, uncontrolled firing from the hip. Just what the sport needs. -Justin
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#22]
If you can't do it manually, why don't you just make up a bump stick?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#23]

In all the time I spent on gun boards, I've always been amused at how it's exatcly like, women on a forum, arguing over Beanie Babies.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

In all the time I spent on gun boards, I've always been amused at how it's exatcly like, women on a forum, arguing over Beanie Babies.

Dont even get me started on a Beanie Baby rant... -Justin
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont even get me started on a Beanie Baby rant... -Justin

No you di'int!
Did you REMOVE the tags? That is the stupidest thing you can do!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No you di'int!
Did you REMOVE the tags? That is the stupidest thing you can do!

But I'm afraid that my dogs will choke on the tags when they play with them.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#27]
So, the thumb might be the answer?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Look, you folks do what you want.  You're not going to change my mind about how I feel about bump firing.  I've seen all manner of folks bump fire all manner of semi auto firearms.  I've seen video of folks shooting full auto firearms.  I've seen tehse same foks hanving so damn much fun sendign lead in a general direction that they have forgotten about the basic safety rules of handling a firearm.  The picture in teh post above of someone bump firing a 10/22 shows the gun pointed higher than horizontal.  I have no idea where that picture was taken, but in many places, that is sending rounds where they shoudn't go. Maybe that didn't happen in that situation when that picture was taken.

We, as gun owners, are always whining about how others that don't enjoy our hobby or lifestyle percieve us to be.  You can be a gun nut without acting like one.

And please, remember my sig line.

I am shooting at a berm about 30 yards infront of me. The berm is about 75 feet high. I was hitting about halfway up the berm. Its safe, I wouldnt do it if it wasnt in a safe controled enviroment. Please dont assume i am stupid.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:Please don't assume i am stupid.

Don't go looking for offense where there is none.  I clearly stated I was not there when the picture was taken, so how would I know the details?  They clearly aren't in the photo for me to see, right?

I said:

Maybe that didn't happen in that situation when that picture was taken.

What part of that means I think you're stupid?  Did I catch you on a bad day?  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, I'll bite.  When I get around to it, I'm gonna try to bump mine.  10/22 with Power custom internals and a graphite barrel.  The trigger pull is real light and short.  When I remove the stock and scope, the weight of the gun is less than that required to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#31]
My trigger pull is pretty light as it is...so I just pull the trigger really fast.  
My 10/22 is a tank though, I don't think it'd bump well.  

I HAVE seen a guy at an ohio arfcom shoot, bumpfire an M1 Garand.  Now THAT was awesome!  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I've bumped Erik's 10/22.  The trick is to hook your thumb into your belt loop.

BTW, if you like seeing a Garand bump, you should see a M1A.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Is there anything semi-auto that you can't bump???.

Geesh just get a FA
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a buddy that tried to bump a 92fs. That was the only time i seen one jam. HAHA
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I've bumped a M1A before. That was entertaining, to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've bumped a M1A before. That was entertaining, to say the least.

Yep. From the shoulder no less!! One of the best bumpfiring guns out there IMHO!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top