Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 5:32:14 PM EDT
Ok, here is the deal. I "converted" a regular 10-22 into a bull config, using a BC barrel that shoots pretty accurately. I'm using rather crappy pre-ban BC mags (those will soon be replaced with new POS's). These mags are contributing to some FTF's where the round stays in the mag and the bolt does not go into battery.

The other problem is FTE, where the bolt comes off the round, leaving it in the chamber. Is there a more reliable extractor?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Volquartsen exact edge extractor.  I have one in both of my rifles and they now run great after starting with problems similar to yours.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they make a more reliable extractor.   Did you buy a MATCH Chamber Barrel?  Are you shooting Value Pack ammo in it?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
well, you could give it to me.....

though on a serious note, try better mags, even factory mags which is a good start, as for the extractory, Volquartsen makes a decent one from what I have seen, not sure whether original springs are used or new though.

also check your chamber to makes sure it does not have a burr catching the case slightly, might be just enough to make the extractor kick off.  

not sure what else to check, maybe also clean the chamber well?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I should have added that this gun usually sports a can, which makes it real dirty in the first place. Then there is the issue of subsonic ammo, which I have never had run in the gun reliably. i can expect that, but when shooting regular velocity ammo i expect a bit more. Yeah, the regular velocity ammo is cheapo Remmy stuff....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Clean it.  Pay extra attention to the extractor area on the bolt.  Mine will like to stick/not move when it gets alot of crud around it.  

As for your "fail-to-chamber"...I had the same problem with my BC hot-lips.  Then I tried some CCI Blazer (cheap-bulk) and they work great now.  So you may want to try that.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess I should have added that this gun usually sports a can, which makes it real dirty in the first place. Then there is the issue of subsonic ammo, which I have never had run in the gun reliably. i can expect that, but when shooting regular velocity ammo i expect a bit more. Yeah, the regular velocity ammo is cheapo Remmy stuff....

Remington bulk pack ammo is extra dirty. try something else, and get the VQ extarctor, night and day better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Good advice here i have had the same problems as far as the mags go.. the cheapy remmington ammo does not feed well in many aftermarket mags...

Jess
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]
All good advice so far.  You may also want to make sure that when you switched barrels you got the extractor lined up so there is no binding as it goes in and out of the cut in the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
use tuned factory mags

replace the extractor with the volquartsen exact edge extractor you can get a package deal here with a great buffer while you are at it.

use high velocity ammo to break in you rimfire and go through about a brick or two to make sure everything is working good.

also the butler creek bbls. have bentz chambers which is slight tighter than std bbls.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, what was said above.  Try Wolf Match Target ammo.  My two Ruger custom jobs love it.  www.midwayusa.com carries it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#11]

"My 10-22 is an unreliable POS, what can I do?"

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine has actually been running decent lately.  

I hate ruger guns.  It's hard to beleive that RUGER is the best mainstream option for rimfire semis.  Both my mark II and 10/22 are a pain in the ass to take down, assemble, and CLEAN.  And both are hit and miss feeders.

If someone came out with a GOOD rimfire semi with GOOD 25 round mags, they'd make a killing!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Did you have something to add, monkeyboY?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought some Blazer ammo and started to get major FTE problems both with Ruger pistol and
10/22>  I followed advice here and ordered two exact edge extractors.  Testing them today
gave me improved results with extraction on both guns (no FTE's).  Now my problem is failure to
fire in my 10/22 with new extractor.  If it goes off it extracts but ended 50 rd session with almost total failure to fire situation.  

It's probably mostly just crappy ammo but  I will listen to more advice?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
so you are having light primer strikes or duds?

did you center the extractor slot on the bbl. so ithe extractor sits right in the middle?
did you use the supplied spring?
bolt face dirty?

more info is needed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I used the supplied spring.  It is shorter.  Can't be sure about barrel alignment.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#17]
TAG>>>>TAG>>>>>TAG!!!!!!!

Mine does all of the above after adding a BC barrel. It's a tack driver when it shoots....but that ain't often.  I know part of the problem is bad mags but I get lots of FTE, FTF, double feeds, and light pin strikes.

Would changing the firing pin help also?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#18]
changing the firing pin would probably not do anything to help.

with my 10/22 when i installed the butler creek bbl. i have failure to feed problems.

the extractor cutout was perfectly centered, bolt headspaced and bolt face ground to perfect headspace, vq ee extractor, bolt  radiused, but still had ftf problems

after inspecting i found that the chamber edges were really sharp and shaving lead and stopping the round from feeding. so what i did was polish the lower half of the chamber edge sort like making a feedramp but not as deep though just enough to smoothen the sharp edge then polished to mirror finish.

i would make sure the hammer is hitting square with the rear of the bolt properly hitting the firing pin.
make sure the firing pin channel is clean on not gunked up.
use better ammo or swith to a different type, i use to have a lot of "duds" with various types of ammo now i use only federal champions since its the most accurate out of my bbl. and no duds since, about 4k now.
make sure there isnt any burs on the bbl face where the bolt mates holding the bolt back.
make sure the chamber is nice and clean.
make sure bbl. is not loose.
hammer spring isnt weak.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
A member here IM'ed me with another helpful hint. It seems the chambers on BC barrels can be tight and he suggested pulling the barrel, dropping various makes of ammo into the chamber to see if any are tight fitting. If so, polishing the chamber may be a good idea.

This is a little above my pay grade, but I have a dremel and when I get the time.......Hell, the barrel was cheap!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine has problems with all mags, even the factory mags.

Sometimes they feed, sometimes they dont.

I have took them apart cleaned and reassembled, same problems, if I load 10 rounds, a few rounds will stick in the bottom of the mag then the other rounds dont advance to the top of the mag.

The BC hotlip mags I had were 50/50
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you have something to add, monkeyboY?

I had an unreliable POS 10/22 as well.

I've also built up 5 of them
The problem could be a few things.

Tried sanding/buffing the inside of your receiver?
I don't regard bc barrels too highly on my list and some aftermarket mags just dont work well with certain configurations.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]
It is the mags, thaey are not pushing the rounds up properly. I have this problem all the time with the Butler creek and Ramline mags.

Get a tactical innovations mag, everybody says they are great.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Ive got 2 brand new 10/22s. Standard low end rifles, both function flawless with the factory and the butler creek hot lips mags. also can hit quaters at 50 yards using the cheap simmons 22 mag scope. im really happy...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It is the mags, thaey are not pushing the rounds up properly. I have this problem all the time with the Butler creek and Ramline mags.

Get a tactical innovations mag, everybody says they are great.

That's what I did tonight.  My Butler Creek 25 rounders are worthless pieces of shit, and I am tired of the constant failing to chamber.  Hopefully the tactical innovations mag works flawlessly.  I'll buy another one if it does, and get rid of my Butler Creeks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That's what I did tonight.  My Butler Creek 25 rounders are worthless pieces of shit, and I am tired of the constant failing to chamber.  Hopefully the tactical innovations mag works flawlessly.  I'll buy another one if it does, and get rid of my Butler Creeks.

I'll take your Butler Creek 25-round mags if you're getting rid of them.  They work fine in my 10/22 with Norrell trigger pack.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

When you shoot subsonic ammo the rifle will NOT function right because the subsonic ammo has less powder than standard .22 rounds.  Aguila also has ammo which is only primer poweredand they state on the box that the rounds will NOT FUNCTION in semi automatic rifles.   You have to feed them manually in a 10/22.

Four years ago, I bought a box of 525 Remington rounds with hornets on the cover and had 25 duds in that box.   This is an unacceptable condition.  I found some 25 year old Remington .22 ammo when the company was owned by DuPont and it worked flawlessly with no duds.  Unfortunately Remington let their quality control go down ofr a while because I recently got a box of Remington hi velocity .22s without any trouble,

Also if you want good performance you must have good magazines which feed flawlessly.  I have some Pro Mags 25 rounders which feed well and Eagle 30 rounders which feed flawlessly. I also have a Ram Line 50 rounder which is a bitch to load but fun to shoot once it's loaded.  If the Butler Creek mags don't feed well then replace them.  Try the factory magazines first to see if it's the barrel you installed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<<snip>>When you shoot subsonic ammo the rifle will NOT function right because the subsonic ammo has less powder than standard .22 rounds. <<snip>>

*COUGH COUGH* bullshit *COUGH COUGH

I have a 10/22 with a Green Mountain barrel threaded.  CCI subsonics cycle every time in it, can mounted or not.  Slow fire or rapid fire, as long as the mag is doing its job, it's 100%

Woody
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top