Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 4:17:21 AM EDT
I wanted to buy a heavy barrel and wanted to know which one of these is the most accurate and I was looking at the volquartsen trigger guard in cabelas and wanted to know if there are cheaper places to order from and I was wondering if it makes much difference if I keep my factory bolt.  thanks a lot for any help.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.rimfirecentral.com

+1

skip the vq tg, there are much better options out there. over at rimfirecentral there are guys that will re-work your factory tg to a much better feel for less. ttshooter and cpc are two to look for.

with the bbls. i have seen more good shooting green mountains than butler creeks but that being said i have a 20"ss fluted that will shoot ragged holes all day long at 50yds.

with your bolt just rework it but if not the factory will work. what i suggest is install a vq exact edge extractor and radius the rear lower half of the bolt for smoother operation
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never had experience w/ Green Mountain but my Butler Creek works great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Green Mountain!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Green Mountain!

+1
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Of the two, I prefer green mountain, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

As for improvements, you can get a lot more bang for the buck.  Get a cheap(er) trigger job from someone who knows the 10/22 (suggestions already given above).  Get a VQ hammer/hammer spring, a weaponkraft bolt buffer, and a VQ extractor.

The total cost of these changes are tiny compared to the cost of the VQ trigger, but you'll really feel the difference.

After that, shoot 1000 rounds, and if you still hate the trigger, THEN buy a VQ trigger.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Green mountain.  had one before i got my VQ THM.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Of the two, I prefer green mountain, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

As for improvements, you can get a lot more bang for the buck.  Get a cheap(er) trigger job from someone who knows the 10/22 (suggestions already given above).  Get a VQ hammer/hammer spring, a weaponkraft bolt buffer, and a VQ extractor.

The total cost of these changes are tiny compared to the cost of the VQ trigger, but you'll really feel the difference.

After that, shoot 1000 rounds, and if you still hate the trigger, THEN buy a VQ trigger kidd.

fixed it
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#9]
heh that'll work too....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had problems with some Grn Mtn barrels.  I now avoid them.  I had two that were apparently out of spec.  They would not allow you to zero a scope.  The elevation was so far off(like in feet), it just was not possible.  Before anyone flames me.....I tried two scopes, two recievers, two mounts, two sets of rings and every combination thereof to get it to work.  It wouldn't.   So, got a replacement barrel from grn mtn.......same thing.  That being said, it shot great, just not in the right spot.  Switched over to BC for cheap builds and Volquartsen for higher end stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#11]
never ever heard that before about a GM barrel....kinda doubt it actually....no reason to avoid them, they shoots better than butler creek
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Green Mountain barrels rock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got rid of my Butler Creek barrel.  It was a carbon fiber deal and the tightest it would shoot was 2-3 inches @ 20 YARDS. needless to say I wasn't super happy with it.  I 've heard that the new BC barrels are better though.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Buddy has a BC barrel on his 10/22 and I had a Green Mountain.  The GM shot much tighter groups than the BC.  I'd be running the GM if I weren't using a VQ THM.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
GM

contact "ttshooter" (also has a website..search for ttshooter) over at rimfire central--he will smooth out your stock trigger for less than the Vq--VERY nice work for the $$$s imo

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I just ordered a Clerke in 16". Anyone have any experience or opinions on this barrel? -Justin
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
GM

contact "ttshooter" (also has a website..search for ttshooter) over at rimfire central--he will smooth out your stock trigger for less than the Vq--VERY nice work for the $$$s imo

+1

a much better and cheaper option than any vq tg!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just ordered a Clerke in 16". Anyone have any experience or opinions on this barrel? -Justin

I've got one in 20" and luv it .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top