Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 8:07:59 AM EDT
I have owned a deluxe ruger 10/22 for awhile now and I think that the thing is about worn out.  It won't shoot straight like it used to, now matter what I do to it.  I know that it is in need of a new barrel, as the thing has gotten red hot many a time and is most likely warped.  However,   I plan to keep it around and just build a new one from scratch.  I actually do quite a bit of hunting with it and so I want to replace it with an accurate, but light weight gun.  I want to be able to kill a squirrel at 100 yards, and not be lugging around a heavy gun.  I need a recommendation as to which barrel you guys would suggest.  I plan on going with another ruger but I will eventually be getting a thumbhole stock, changing the trigger mechanism and the barrel.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]

I've got one of these The Volquartsen Tension Barrels.  although I haven't shot it out to 100 yards yet there is NO doubt in my mind that it would perform fantastic at that range.  At 25 yards it will put three round in the same hole and at 50 yards the round are within a half inch of each other.  Oh, did I tell you that I'm not the worlds best shooter either.  

I've got one of those Hogue overnmolded stocks, a Leupold rimfire scope, and that barrel.  I built my gun to hunt birds up here in Alaska.  I haven't been able to take it out yet because I was in Afghanistan during the season last year.  However, I did go to the range on wednesday.  It was 27 degrees... Scope didn't fog when I came back to the house and the gun shot great.  

And that my friend, is my .000000000002 cents.
~Dg84

P.S.  I order most of my parts from Rimfire sports they ship FREE to Alaska using USPS which keeps me coming back.  That's a big deal to us Alaskans
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What I would do is give my barrel a good cleaning. Unless you already have. I had my 1022 for about 6 years. When my barrel stopped shooting the way it use to I cleaned it out using Browning bore cleaner.Keep in mind I had 2,25 rounds mags and 1,30 round mag and an autoloader,My brother in law and I would go through atleast 4,5000 rounds a month. We wore out the mags about a year ago and had to get some of these cheap butler creek mags that have come out. I would soak my good ol' 1022 barrel in some bore cleaner and see if you can save it. If you have soaked your barrel check the crown. I just recently put a 3-9 x 40mm,Bushnell scope on my 1022 and she's shooting straight as when I got her.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]
100 yards for a .22lr is really pushin it, at least consistently
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
100 yards for a .22lr is really pushin it, at least consistently

+1  If you're going for MOA accuracy, I'd step up to .17 HMR or .17Mach2.  Much faster and flatter shooter than the old .22 LR.

I'd consider a centerfire cartridge - .22-250 or .223.

My 2 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top